Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my bitch has pyometra

• 23-10-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭

hi all

just back from the vets noticed 1 of my springers had a bit of a vaginal discharge this morning

in great form no way sick eating and drinking as normal rang my vet who advised it may be very early open pyometra after examination and consultation she is staying overnite for early morning surgery

not looking for advice or anything just decided to put up this post to show how this very serious condition can manifest itself without any symptoms of sickness

as she is well my vet recons she should be good enough to come home tomorrow evening

so I most likely will be like an expectant father tonite pacing the floor no sleep id say I just hate when 1 of my buddies are away from home am I mad or what

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Best of luck, and well done for noticing and getting her to the vets so promptly. Fingers and paws crossed for the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

muddypaws wrote: »
    Best of luck, and well done for noticing and getting her to the vets so promptly. Fingers and paws crossed for the morning

thank you muddypaws hopefully all goes well he thinks she is at the very early stages as she is so well in herself he decided it was best to proceed asap before she goes downhill as 24/48 hours can see a big change with this condition

antibiotics already administered tonite he reckons will help her cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Hopefully you got her very early to the vet so that no symptoms means she will have a very quick and problem-free spay. Hope she is home with you tomorrow night - having one of your dogs away from home at the vet is so worrying. Hopefully she is not too bothered in the strange environment and will be home safe with you tomorrow night. Let us know how it goes

cheers aonb

hopfully all goes to plan and shes back home tomorrow nite will post when I have further news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

It's fantastic that you caught it early, many people would do the whole wait and see thing since she wasn't showing any other symptoms, you did the right thing getting her checked out, pyo is so friggen dangerous, since she was so well if you had waited by the time you caught it it could have been too late or atleast a much riskier Op.

Well done and let us know how she gets on, hopefully all will go off without a hitch.

• Advertisement

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    It's fantastic that you caught it early, many people would do the whole wait and see thing since she wasn't showing any other symptoms, you did the right thing getting her checked out, pyo is so friggen dangerous, since she was so well if you had waited by the time you caught it it could have been too late or atleast a much riskier Op.

Well done and let us know how she gets on, hopefully all will go off without a hitch.

thanks meoklmrk

have seen it before so knew the dangers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jimf wrote: »
    thanks meoklmrk

have seen it before so knew the dangers

Well done on knowing the signs and acting on them. Best wishes for your dog.

thanks stheno

im always vigilant for the 2 months post heat

good reminder/update/heads-up for bitch owners to keep an eye on their bitches post-heat for any symptoms of Pyometra

update

just spoke to vets

surgery over in recovery all looking good should be coming home 4pm

thank god this is the news we all want to hear when our buddies are ill

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That was well spotted jimf, and as aonb said, I hope your thread acts as a reminder for owners of entire bitches to keep a close eye on their bitches.
    I'll also take this opportunity to say that jimf's dog has "open" pyo, so there was a discharge to tip him off. But bitches can develop "closed" pyo too, with which there's no discharge. Because it's often not noticed until the bitch has become really ill, it's particularly dangerous.
    I'm very pleased to see that your little lady is through the surgery jimf.... Onwards and upwards from here!

thanks dbb

not quite the report I was hoping to post

picked her up this evening 5pm brought her home and noticed some bleeding so back to the vets again for another overnite stay

hoping its just one of those things that can happen but im not a happy camper

just to say she was not bleeding leaving the surgery

can this happen have any of you seen this before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Aw no, sorry to read that, I thought this was going to be a lovely post about her coming home.

Is the bleeding coming from the stitches, or from her vulva?

What did the vet say when you took her back in, did they appear concerned?

muddypaws wrote: »
    Aw no, sorry to read that, I thought this was going to be a lovely post about her coming home.

Is the bleeding coming from the stitches, or from her vulva?

What did the vet say when you took her back in, did they appear concerned?

bleeding from the stiches a little concerned it was coming from the internal stitches gum colour good put an abdominal bandgage on and will monitor her closely overnite on the drip as well

so not out of the woods yet sorry to say

hopefully morning will bring better news

Was it a lot of blood, or was it more seeping?
    Seeping happens reasonably regularly, and I would not be too surprised to see such seeping after a spay that happened close to the bitch being in heat, or for pyo, I've also seen it in overweight bitches. So, your lady ticks one of the boxes that I've seen, and would almost expect, some seeping.
    So I'm hoping this is seeping we're talking about :-) Either way, she's as well off where she is right now, though I know I'd be aching to have her home too!

DBB wrote: »
    Was it a lot of blood, or was it more seeping?
    Seeping happens reasonably regularly, and I would not be too surprised to see such seeping after a spay that happened close to the bitch being in heat, or for pyo, I've also seen it in overweight bitches. So, your lady ticks one of the boxes that I've seen, and would almost expect, some seeping.
    So I'm hoping this is seeping we're talking about :-) Either way, she's as well off where she is right now, though I know I'd be aching to have her home too!

quite a good flow dbb I certainly would not describe it as seeping

just spoke to vet a few moments ago he says gum colour is still good and hes hoping it was a clot that had formed between the 2 lairs of stitches that leaked through after lifting in and out of car but blood was bright red I would be thinking blood from a clot would be darker and thicker but maybe not after surgery this morning

back home again after surgery again yesterday

still bleeding yesterday morning when bandage was removed so another ga and opened up again found 3 large clots at site of internal incisions leading vet to think she had a blood clotting problem me I don't think so

doesn't add up as far as im concerned she had to also have a blood transfusion

to say im pretty pissed off is an understatement but the main thing is shes home and is going to be pampered big time

many thanks to all who posted with good wishes it is/was very much appreciated

hopefully shes back to herself again in a few days poor little mite has been through so much I am feeling guilty ffs

Glad to hear she's home now jimf. But don't be too hard on your vet: pyometra can cause complications whilst spaying... Any infection, or indeed being hormonal, causes an increased supply of blood to the womb, cervix etc, so there was always a greater risk of bleeding in this scenario.
    She'll be a bit out of sorts for a day or two now, but being home always seems to give them a great emotional boost!

thanks dbb

I know about the increased risks but its probably just me I do have 100% confidence in my vet otherwise I just would not be using the practice

its probably the fact that she was let home and had to go back again so fast that ;pissed me off im a 30min drive from the vets and when you see your bitch bleeding quite profusely and theres nothing you can do but try and keep pressure on the wound your thoughts can play tricks with your logical thinking

but as stated earlier she home and that's the end of it id still use them again tomorrow if I had to

Hope your dog continues to do improve - how is she today?

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    Hope your dog continues to do improve - how is she today?

thank you aonb

she has improved a good bit from yesterday as dbb stated being at home gives them a great pick me up

was still a bit picky about eating this morn but decided to try my dads old trick
    and tried her on wet cat food (tins whiskas) and bingo im her best buddy again

she had a bit of a reaction to the blood transfusion eyes and face quite swollen but all seems back to normal there as well

all and all I am very pleased with her progress so hopefully each day will see her return to her crazy self again please god

Thats funny - when my dog has been ill/unwell - afterwards I always give him fish for his 'first' meal - he goes MAD for it.

When he was in 'hospital' for a long weekend (on a drip) he came home all dull and lethargic and we were really worried - the vet. nurses (who know & love him cos hes so hairy/fat/melting eyes) said he was very very down - well! when we pulled in to the drive, and lifted him out of the car - WHAM - BURST of energy and happiness!!! They DO love their own place dont they? Hope she continues to improve quickly and back to herself so that you can stop worrying and watching

thanks aonb

didn't go to bed until 5am sunday morn stayed up all night with her

its awful when their off form or sick at least with ourselves we can tell how we feel with them you are only trying to second guess

but she seems great this morn improving by the day 2 surgeries in 24 hours must be hard especially with 2 ga as well

just a quick update and to thank all the posters for their words of comfort and encouragement

peggy was back at the vets to day had her stitches removed and had a full check over all is well tg

she is not happy being confined indoors for the time been as she is back to her energetic self again

let out for 3 daily runs under supervision

many thanks jimf and peggy

Glad to hear shes back on the road to recovery.
    Its tough on them being confined when they just want to GO!
    Peggy is a great name 8-)

thanks aon

I cant take credit for any of my dogs names the naming rights are strictly my daughters responsibility

we also have Jessie millie tina bruce and peggy they were all named when she was younger aged about 11/13

jaysus now that she is 16 id hate to hear the names my guess would be Rihanna taylor lady gaga tiny tempeh or something along them lines

Advertisement