Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Rifle Scope - Hawke Nite-Eye

Options
  • 23-10-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am just after purchasing a pre-owned CZ 455 and it came with a Hawke Nite-Eye Digital IR 4-16x50 SF (side focus parallax).

Now, I decided to take a few shots today and see how the gun is performing, using winchester subsonic .22lr ammo.

However, I instantly discovered a problem with my scope. Well, maybe it is something that I am doing wrong and that the scope is fine.

Firstly, here is info on my scope:
    Hawke%20Nite%20Eyes%20Digiytal%20Range.jpg

I discovered that when I increase the magnification of the scope, going from 4x upwards, the view through the scope becomes fuzzy or unfocused, particularly for objects in the distance. As I increase the magnification furthur, reaching 9x, objects within 20 yards are the only things in clear focus. Anything beyond this is out of focus and objects inside 50 feet become out of focus.

The scope has side adjusting parallax, and I adjusted this while looking through the scope and it doesn't make much difference.

So for example, I setup a target for myself, approximately 80 yards away. If i reduce the magnification down to the lowest (4x), it is clear and its surroundings are very clear to view, albeit far away. If i increase the magnification, the target becomes un-focused and has no clear outline. The trees in the background all become unfocused.

Is there something wrong with the scope? :(

Should I return to my registered firearms dealer and explain this to him? And I fear that he may think that I dropped the gun or scope, resulting in this problem. The scope may have worked perfectly for him. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I had a similar experience some time ago with a Hawk sidewinder. In my case no matter what mag i used the target image was never 100% clear but the issue was lessened at lower power. I tried adjusting eye relief, side parallax, mag, combination of all three, but nothing would work. I also had a second rifle with Sidewinder so i could eliminate environmental issues (mirage, etc) as a factor.

With my scope the mag ring was "tight" to turn between 10 - 21 power, but not below 10 or above 21. Turns out there was a slight misalignment with the lenses. I was issued a brand new replacement immediately, and the issue was not present in the new scope.

If you cannot get clear target image using the side parallax then i would suggest going back to the dealer. If nothing else they can see if the issue is present for them. When they say they have it fixed check it on the spot. No point in the dealer saying it's clear if it's not for you. If he cannot fix the issue then have him replace it or send it away for repair.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Check you have the ocular lens adjusted for your eyes and if that doesn't fix it then do as Cass said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Just to add there.

When you look through the scope and you adjust your parralax to your target. And your parallax is correct for your target looking at things in the ground before and after your target will not be clear as your parallax obviously isn't adjusted for them. So pending the distance between your target and everything else in the scope it might be hard to set parrallx for them all.

Cass might know the ans to this.

But if your on 4 power and you adjust up to 10-12 power if the parallax isn't spot on can that distort the image abit. Or should the parallax be the same no matter what the mag.
    If your able to understand what I'm trying to say sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Adjusting parallax should not impact on the focus of an image, it just moves the location of the focused image for the viewer, ensuring that your image is an accurate view of a particular point at a particular distance away from the viewer. Hence, the inaccuracy of shots when the parallax is not adjusted. Even though your target looks crystal clear through the scope and you think that you aiming at that exact point, if the parallax is way off then you are not shooting at the target, you are technically shooting at a real image of the target (or is it virtual image, trying to remember my physics :) )

anyway, thanks for all your responses guys. As cass says "slight misalignment with the lenses", I am confident that I have the same issue.

I contacted my firearms dealer today, he seemed to be very sound about it, said he will have the scope sent back to a different dealer where the gun and scope originally came from, whether it can be repaired or not and that he will get me sorted out. He also said that he will give me another scope (with magnification) to use in the meantime while my own gets sorted, which is very sound of him indeed. Actually, I might not take that scope from him in case I do something stupid and damage it :) I have an old scope, it has no magnification but its clear to look through and that would do me for the time being.

I hope my hawke nite eye can be repaired, I love how you can light up the cross threads in blue. I'm green/red colour blind and I don't find the lighting of the threads in green or red very effective for me, I find them very hard to see, depending on the background and lighting. But the blue colour works wonder. Late yesterday even, getting dark, I turned on the threads in blue, on low, and I could clearly see my target (on 4x mag of course :) ) and the cross threads themselves and the blue light wasn't creating any glare, preventing me from seeing the target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Backfire wrote: »
    Adjusting parallax should not impact on the focus of an image,

It will at ranges out to about 120 meters at higher magnification (readily noticable from 6x onwards).

The parallax shifts the plane of the reticle in order to make it coincide with the target plane - at range, this won't appreciably affect focus, but under 100m it most certainly will. So much so in fact that air gunners use parrallax to gauge distance to target in the field target discipline, and do so to well within a meter at 50meters. Granted, they also use extreme magnification (~24x would be normal, 30+ not unusual) in order to exacerbate the effect but the point stands - parrallax will impact on focus at short range.

Nevertheless - as Cass suggested, it is likely that the scope has an issue, as otherwise you'd be able to dial it in without much hassle regardless.

• Advertisement

Well i brought the scope back to my dealer this evening and he was sound as a pound about it.
    No problem, no worries. He said he will be sending the scope back to Deben (Hawke) to get it repaired.
    Hopefully it gets repaired and be working 100%. Time will tell :)

Having dealt with Deben before their usual SOP is to find a the fault (if one exists) and then simply replace the item. So could be a new one on the way.

Let us know how you get on.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    Having dealt with Deben before their usual SOP is to find a the fault (if one exists) and then simply replace the item. So could be a new one on the way.

Let us know how you get on.

Sounds too good to be true :)
    Even though this scope is 2nd hand, its condition is very good so I wouldn't mind either way, whether it is repaired or replaced with a new one. But I have to admit, a new scope would be a big bonus! :)

I just thought i would post and say what is the outcome of this story about my scope.
    As predicted in this topic, hawke sent on a brand new scope (same model) to my gun dealer and i collected it this evening. I am delighted :)
    Hawke really do stand by their stuff.

As you said, and i predicted, they simply send a new one.

Say what you like about the quality compared to S&B, Zeiss, Nightforce, etc. but i've owned most of the higher end gear over the years, and granted i've not had many if any problems with them, but on the couple of occasions i did have a problem i never received the service or more to the point speedy service i have from Hawke.

Glad you got sorted.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    As you said, and i predicted, they simply send a new one.

Say what you like about the quality compared to S&B, Zeiss, Nightforce, etc. but i've owned most of the higher end gear over the years, and granted i've not had many if any problems with them, but on the couple of occasions i did have a problem i never received the service or more to the point speedy service i have from Hawke.

Glad you got sorted.

Like my gun dealer said to me this evening, he has no problem dealing with hawke since they stand over their products so easily. In the long run, it benefits hawke as the business of supply and demand from dealers around the world ensure continual sale of their products.

Advertisement