Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving to sweden advice and info?

• 23-10-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭

hi i am moving to sweden guys i was wondering is there any complications in driving over eg.car regulations or requirements

any advice would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'm living in neighboring Norway, which have some regulations in common so my info might help.

I'm assuming that you are driving an Irish reg. car all the way over to Sweden. (Please correct me if not).

Regulation-wise, although your car is left-hand drive it's probably street legal (Sweden was a left hand drive country until about 30 years ago). Left-hand drive cars are sometimes even operated in country areas as post-vans (because that way it is easier for the postal worker to reach for letter boxes).

However, if you stay for a year or longer with your car, you will probably be required to re-plate with a Swedish registration and tax the car to their system. Similarly, you yourself will be required to exchange your Irish license for a Swedish one. (I believe this is a basic swap over, no additional testing required).

One danger-factor you will need to keep in mind is that the all-weather tires usually shipped with Irish cars will not be suitable for winter roads in Scandinavia. From now (October), until about May (depending on where you are) Winter tires will be required to maintain road-grip while driving on snowed or iced roads. It would also be very wise to have a wheel-chain in your car for more difficult road conditions.

Hope that didn't all sound too scary. Please let me know if you need to know more, and please also keep in mind that some of what I just types could be wrong as I'm writing from a Norwegian point-of-view :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

thank you all information is brilliant to hear. any body know of a website that organises road trips like with ferrys n all that jazz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭Rawr

You're very welcome:D

For ferries, your best bet are DFDS:
    http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/ferry-routes/sweden/

You will need to go via the UK and Denmark. Sweden can be reached by road via Copenhagen to the Olsund Bridge, which connects to Malmo.

If you can take the ferry to France, travel over the continent will also get you to Copenhagen.

Advertisement