Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gourmet "Snack Foods"

Options
  • 23-10-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've noticed recently that there seems to be a lot of niche food company startups, all going with a healthy / "gourmet" take on snack foods. They are all made from natural ingredients, ethically sourced, nicely packaged etc. The best example of this is probably jerky - I could post dozens of links here, and if you look on the food section of Kickstarter, there are always a handful of jerky companies.

These companies all seem to be doing pretty well, and they all charge a premium price, but I haven't seen many of this type of company in Ireland or the UK. Obviously, there is a huge market in the USA, but does anyone think there is potential for this type of business here, or aware of any businesses currently serving this market?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Tried this companies stuff before http://irishgourmet.ie/wee-shop.html/

I would imagine there is demand for it here I would think it was going to be pretty expensive to start up unless you are growing things on your own farm which is what I would imagine the countries in bigger countries do. I would imagine for a company to do it successfully here they would have to be coming from established markets and already have economies of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

This guy seems to be doing well, even before investment from a Dragon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Jerky might be a little of a minefield as its a dried / cured animal product. Importation of farm produce has a little more overhead and regulations to stop the spread of disease etc. I have zilch experience in the area however so that could be completely wrong. Also I'd imagine if jerky was popular here, like in the States, there would be more of it on the shelves. I rarely see it personally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I would hazard a guess someone has been getting the "How I made $1000 in less than 24 hours" emails from App Sumo.

After showing you how I made more than $1,000+ in less than 24 hours, y'all had a couple questions:

How did you find the beef jerky providers?
    How did you handle shipping and other costs and still make $1,000?
    What's next for Sumo Jerky?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

There's only one brand I see regularly in convenience stores in Dublin, not sure of the name. Tried it once and it was very nice. However, we are talking premium pricing at about €4.95 so if you could beat that price, and for a few strips of dried beef I can't see how you wouldn't, then I reckon there is a market there.
    Watch out for Mr Tayto though, as soon as he smells a market he'll be in there like a shot! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

M&S sell a brand of Jerky and for a while my local Spar had some for sale, don't see them selling it still so doubt it took off. Personally I don't think its a snack food Irish people would go for, its more an american thing.

Advertisement