Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still smoke regulars?

Options
  • 24-10-2013 12:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Been vaping exclusively for 6 months, and according to life insurance will be an actual non smoker policy-wise after another 6! So thats good news.:)

Out of curiosity, does anyone here smoke and vape? Personally not interested in ordinary cigarettes anymore to the extent that I would find it totally weird and alien to even think about buying them, this is strange as I smoked over 20 a day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Been vaping exclusively for 6 months, and according to life insurance will be an actual non smoker policy-wise after another 6! So thats good news.:)

Out of curiosity, does anyone here smoke and vape? Personally not interested in ordinary cigarettes anymore to the extent that I would find it totally weird and alien to even think about buying them, this is strange as I smoked over 20 a day.
    I am a non smoker my wife smokes 20/day but I have a suspicion she smokes a lot more. Last year I bought an e cig kit for her she used it at night and smoked the old reliable's during the day. She complained of a pain in her head I told her that was from smoking and using e cigs together but of course the e cigs were blamed and discarded :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I did when I first made the switch, but I only smoked a handful throughout the day.

Last time I tried a cigarette was well over 2 years ago, I forgot my e-cig out having drinks. I eventually cracked and asked someone for a smoke, I took two drags off it and stamped it out.
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    I am a non smoker my wife smokes 20/day but I have a suspicion she smokes a lot more. Last year I bought an e cig kit for her she used it at night and smoked the old reliable's during the day. She complained of a pain in her head I told her that was from smoking and using e cigs together but of course the e cigs were blamed and discarded :mad:

Bah!

It sounds like her nicotine intake was sky high and that could well be symptomatic of nicotine overdose. What kit and nicotine strength and type of e-liquid did you buy for her?

I can't speak for everyone but I smoked 20+ a day. When you start vaping it can feel a bit weird, like your not getting the same level of satisfaction. The problem is you start vaping way too much as a result, this sensation does pass with time once you adapt to vaping.

These days there is a great selection of tobacco extracts that are much better at mimicking the sensation of smoking tobacco, I'd recommend making another run at it with some of the following juices and perhaps consider lowering the nicotine strength.

Some suggestions...

House of Liquid El Toro - Cigarillos, Minotaur or Virginia.

T-Juice - Cubana and Primo Verde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

She complained of a pain in her head I told her that was from smoking and using e cigs together but of course the e cigs were blamed and discarded

That is someone who simply is not ready to give up.

I used to smoke and vape alternately about half:half until I got a decent VV mod unit and decent Clearo and making my own juice.

Cost was also a factor and vaping was Farrrrrrrrrrrrr more expensive than smoking here with juice @ 4 euro per 10ml in most shops and 20 Marlbro @ 1 euro, thankfully market saturation means if I'm really stuck I can pick up a bottle of Dekang for around 1 euro now though

But realistically it wasn't until I could hand on my heart say "this tastes and feels better than smoking" that I was able to stab out my last one (over a year ago almost to the day :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Stopped just before my kids 1st birthday and that was over 7 months ago.

Early on, I left the charger at work one weekend and the battery died on a Sunday. Bought tobacco, rolled one and haven't touched one since.

Vape on, vapers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Took my first puff on an ecig 9 months ago. Haven't touched a regular fag since. Still have a packet of tobacco and papers sitting on my desk as a reminder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

started on ecigs about 6 months ago,before that was smoking 10y then 2 years cold turkey then back on cigs until i found ecigs,now i wouldnt touch one, even someone besides smoking is just nasty,compared to nice device that you can choose any flavor,vape in any place you want home,work.Theres so many benefits no more stinking breath/hands healthy feeling on lungs no more tar crap.Even if im stuck now id rather do something productive instead craving for cig.
    But yes i do know couple people who still will turn to cigarettes on night out,but myself i prefer to sit warm at a table and make clouds around me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Was having an odd one now and then and last lot of juices I got were 18 & 12mg and discovered that I was longing for a cigarette especially in the company of someone smoking, went back on 24mg and all craving for a cigarette has gone completely, think I may have reduced the nic content too quickly doing it after 4weeks......or I am a hopeless nicotene addict :D Aw well, at least it won't kill me as quickly if at all now....:)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Havent Had a Analog in over 4 months.

Hope i never do again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I do both. I'd say my intake of regulars has roughly halved since I started vaping. I tend to smoke cigarettes at work or at the pub and stick to vaping at home.

I would (maybe will) gradually phase out the regulars, but what is holding me back is my equipment I think. I have a 510-T and the batteries just don't last long enough or charge quickly enough, so I always end up having regulars around as back-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

...what is holding me back is my equipment I think. I have a 510-T and the batteries just don't last long enough or charge quickly enough, so I always end up having regulars around as back-up.

Yup. If an ecig doesn't meet or exceed expectations either your ecig isn't powerful enough or you're dependant on something other than nic.
    Or you love the taste of burnt things? But lovely burnt things are usually in cigar or pipe form. Or bacon.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    Yup. If an ecig doesn't meet or exceed expectations either your ecig isn't powerful enough or you're dependant on something other than nic.
    Or you love the taste of burnt things? But lovely burnt things are usually in cigar or pipe form. Or bacon.

When it's working I actually prefer it to ciggies, and have often gone a day without even thinking about smoking a regular.

It just seems to spend more time down that up! I need to shop for a new device, but there're so many options that I always get confused and give up. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Just buy a couple of ego twists......650 mAh should give you around 6-7 hours vaping and you can get those type of batteries up to 1300 mAh.....13 hours without needing to recharge!

Cheers for the tip. Ordered one there, so maybe I'll be back to this thread in a couple of weeks saying I no longer smoke regulars. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Good luck! Still have a few regulars myself. I "enjoy" the ones in the morning on my way to work....

Probably habit, plus I don't really like vaping on the move.

Maybe I should try having a good vape before I leave the house, but I don't ever seem to get up early enough for that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Cheers for the tip. Ordered one there, so maybe I'll be back to this thread in a couple of weeks saying I no longer smoke regulars. ;)

I started with a 510 auto kit and it's only when I got eGo batteries and cartos that I made the full switch. Such a difference in performance and just as importantly, the confidence of performance......

In some ways I think those cigalikes actually hinder the pick up of vaping.

DublinCJM wrote: »
    Good luck! Still have a few regulars myself. I "enjoy" the ones in the morning on my way to work....

Probably habit, plus I don't really like vaping on the move.

Maybe I should try having a good vape before I leave the house, but I don't ever seem to get up early enough for that!!

I was still having a few regulars until I got El Toros liquid, that got rid of the urge to smoke regulars completely for me, very likely I will stick to real tobacco liquids from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I bought a box Sunday night in the pub but once I'd smoked the last one on Tuesday morning I didn't get the urge to buy another. I've done that a few times now and I'll prob keep doing it, for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I got one of the kits with an eGo C-Twist, a tank and what not on Wednesday this week and I've had two (maybe three? I think two...) cigarettes since (probably smoked 10ish a day normally).

One of those was because I feel horribly awkward with it around college because it's huge, but I'm kinda getting used to it. The other was because I just wanted a cigarette and have a load of tobacco left.

I suppose the real test will be a night out, I'd imagine that it'd draw a few strange looks in the smoking area of whatever nightclub I end up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I've found that more know what they are at this stage, especially in Dublin - you're more likely to get the idiots who say "Just smoke a real one" or "I've read they're worse for you" than odd looks.
    Kind of helps to know who the human write-offs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Fad wrote: »
    One of those was because I feel horribly awkward with it around college because it's huge, but I'm kinda getting used to it. The other was because I just wanted a cigarette and have a load of tobacco left.

I suppose the real test will be a night out, I'd imagine that it'd draw a few strange looks in the smoking area of whatever nightclub I end up in.

For college/nights out get a couple of mini eGo's (350mah battery) http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/batteries/157-mini-ego-battery.html
    You can put all clearo's on them and they're even smaller with cartomizers attached
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/blank-cartomizers/132-joye-510-empty-cartomiser.html
    Drip tip for cartomizer
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/36-drip-tips

The above set up will give you more confidence (and discretion) to vape in public and after a while you'll be like 'I couldn't care less now - out with the largest Twist, loud and proud!'

• Advertisement

csi vegas wrote: »
    For college/nights out get a couple of mini eGo's (350mah battery) http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/batteries/157-mini-ego-battery.html
    You can put all clearo's on them and they're even smaller with cartomizers attached
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/blank-cartomizers/132-joye-510-empty-cartomiser.html
    Drip tip for cartomizer
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/36-drip-tips

The above set up will give you more confidence (and discretion) to vape in public and after a while you'll be like 'I couldn't care less now - out with the largest Twist, loud and proud!'

All the options ever! Thank you.

I'm pretty content with the set up at the moment and tbh, dont really want to get into spending anything more of gear (except maybe a buying a few clearomizers) for the next while. I'll keep it in mind though.

Mini eGo might be a runner though, I got the 900mah battery on a whim and it's great but obnoxiously big.

I'm sort of past Harcourt St in terms of age and patience, so the nightclubs I'd end up in wouldn't be as bad for it, but there's always some! :P

I'm sort of past Harcourt St in terms of age and patience, so the nightclubs I'd end up in wouldn't be as bad for it, but there's always some! :P

Rain on Portobello Road by any chance? :D 4FM has brainfuk'd me with their subliminal messaging ads :D ...I must go, I am over 30... obey, OBEY!

Rain on Portobello Road by any chance? :D 4FM has brainfuk'd me with their subliminal messaging ads :D ...I must go, I am over 30... obey, OBEY!

Nah, not that old! Just old enough to be graduated and dont drink so I just cant deal with arsehole young people :P

Nah, not that old! Just old enough to be graduated and dont drink so I just cant deal with arsehole young people :P

:D Then head thee to The Quays in Galway - not a scwitch in sight! Fantabulous crowd and craic! I'm squatting it (not in the sense you think!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

:D Then head thee to The Quays in Galway - not a scwitch in sight! Fantabulous crowd and craic! I'm squatting it (not in the sense you think!) :D

Good pub, but not vape freindly, and no smoking area...just the street :-)

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Good pub, but not vape freindly, and no smoking area...just the street :-)

There's a rooftop beer garden, in another part of the premises, you go in the next door and upstairs, it's a whole other area but I dunno if it opens during the day but sher who drinks during the day in Ireland?!

Street area is grand though, has barriers and canopy, so safe from passing waves of people.

Bouncer told me it'd be fine to vape inside but then I might have had to deal with another who objected.
    He actually asked me what I was doing outside with an e-cig!
    All depends though doesn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Didnt know about the roof top area!
    Was at a gig upstairs a few years ago when I smoked and I went outside for a fag. When I tried to get back in the bouncers wouldn't let me in, they said I hadn't been upstairs even though my jacket and girlfriend were upstairs!!!

Anyhow, these days I dont really vape where you cant smoke, (unless Im locked) :-D

An all too common occurence Chrome. Some of them take their j.o.b. way too seriously. It's sad that not many humans partake in that 'career'.

Well, thanks folks for directing me towards the eGo-C Twist. Got it about 3 weeks ago and haven't had a regular smoke since.

Well, bar once in the pub and it was mank.

• Advertisement

Well, thanks folks for directing me towards the eGo-C Twist. Got it about 3 weeks ago and haven't had a regular smoke since.

Well, bar once in the pub and it was mank.
    they are great, have two for going out with and a mod at home, what tank/clearomiser did you get with them?

Advertisement