Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering Leaving a Fetac Course

Options
  • 24-10-2013 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi i just finished my leaving cert a couple of months ago and am not currently doing a level 5 course in a plc. Even though i like the course i realise that there is a chance i might not get into the college i want to go to next year seeing as there is only 4 places for fetac applicants. Im considering leaving the course and then just using my leaving cert results next year instead becasue i will be in with a better chance of getting into the course as i have the required points. Is this a good idea to leave the fetac course now and just take a year out or should i just stay in the level 5 course ? HELP NEEDED

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm pretty sure you can apply with both your leaving cert and fetac results, so why not stay and give it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 paddyc310

Ah keep it going,,paddy. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Dont drop out. Fairly sure the college will pick the results to judge you on that are most advantageous to you. Dropping out of a plc that lasts from September to April isnt a good move cv wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

What results would I need to be able to apply for third level college next year? I'm doing a plc and heard I could only advance to college if I get a distinction in my plc course??

You dont necessarily need distinctions in all, depends on the points for the course, whether the course has any requirements for distinctions in particular modules.
    Ask the course coordinator how many distinctions you'd need, merits etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dalec945

no you can only send away one cao from so that means i will have less chance of getting into the course i want next year if i use fetac applicants. i think i am safer just using my leaving cert results because in the long run i will get to do the course i want instead of wasting a year in a plc where i will be covering mostly same topics next year, and i would also want to go and get a job

You seem to be missing the point. You send away one cao form, but you tick the fetac box also and they use whichever set of results that gives you the best chance. So you get to have both taken into account. Some courses also hold places for fetac applicants so you could compete for them irrespective of your lc results and not have to compete with lc students.

Advertisement