Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property websites manipulating the housing market.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Need4House wrote: »
    Make me an offer.

I asked you. You are ranting and raving here and rubbishing every point/comment that you don't agree with. What is the exact point of you creating this thread? What did you want to see happen? Did you think you were going to get a whole load of people agreeing with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

OK smart mouth..where have the jobs been created?

Let me guess you cant say. They are simply existing vacancies being refilled due to people how have cleared off...that isn't job creation.

Are you really that stupid ??

20K more people are paying income tax. That means on one year ago X number of people were working and paying income tax. Today X + 20,000 are paying income tax.

People leaving the country no longer pay income tax so have no impact on these figures.

God almighty is no wonder why you cant understand the SCD housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,095 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Leaving aside the source of purchasing cash, the increase in the market in desirable areas is a fact.

On my parents street in SCD four essentially identical properties have come to market this year, after 3 years with none being offered for sale

In March one went for 320,000, June one for €365,000. There are currently two on sale for 385,000 and 395,000, I dont expect them not to achieve AP

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Leaving aside the source of purchasing cash, the increase in the market in desirable areas is a fact.

On my parents street in SCD four essentially identical properties have come to market this year, after 3 years with none being offered for sale

In March one went for 320,000, June one for €365,000. There are currently two on sale for 385,000 and 395,000, I dont expect them not to achieve AP

But but but don't you realise none of those houses actually sold!!!!!

OK smart mouth..where have the jobs been created?

Let me guess you cant say.

I cant say for a fact but I can certainly tell you that the IT sector is thriving and significant number of open jobs exist in this sector. To the point headhunting has been happening and still is for quite a period of time throughout this recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Need4House

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Then you have nothing to moan about because you will be able to buy a house cheaper when you think the market has reached the bottom. You can laugh at all the people and brag how smart you are.

Of course people are realising that getting the house at a cheaper price doesn't mean it costs less than somebody who bough at a higher price.

Your idea of property should not allow people to profit from it is quite funny.
    It relies on having absolutely no knowledge of the history of the other countries you think are much better because they have rent control.
    At some point you might notice you don't dictate how the economy works.

I didnt say i dont think people should make profit...I hit out as someone making out landlords deserve to gouge tenants...sure a little profit here and there...but when it comes to essential services or a roof over your head no..it isnt a bloody game. maybe a few people on this thread need a few nights sleeping rough to get the picture.
    I know history well for your info.. maybe its you who needs schooling in it. Your right "I dont dictate how the economy works" but somebody should be, as its just a free for all here, everyone ripping each other off, driving the economy further and further into the ground...you clearly think unregulated rents and housing bubbles are a clever thing...because your clearly not so good at history yourself...not even recent history of your own country.

D3PO wrote: »
    I cant say for a fact but I can certainly tell you that the IT sector is thriving and significant number of open jobs exist in this sector. To the point headhunting has been happening and still is for quite a period of time throughout this recession.

Oh you mean Google facebook yahoo etc...we know all about those companies..they may employ a few people here but they dont pay any tax...So when push comes to shove who do you think actually gets the great deal, us or them?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

Seems to me that im meeting more and more people who have waited a little too long to get the house they want and the lowest price and now that they are going up they find themselves priced out of the market they waited so long to buy into. Probably telling anyone who would listen how smart they were all the time too.
    It must hurt something awful now to be fair.

Oh you mean Google facebook yahoo etc...we know all about those companies..they may employ a few people here but they dont pay any tax...So when push comes to shove who do you think actually gets the great deal, us or them?

So the argument is now about tax is it? Such a moveable feast this 'debate' you are engaging in.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

I didnt say i dont think people should make profit...I hit out as someone making out landlords deserve to gouge tenants...sure a little profit here and there...but when it comes to essential services or a roof over your head no..it isnt a bloody game. maybe a few people on this thread need a few nights sleeping rough to get the picture.
    I know history well for your info.. maybe its you who needs schooling in it. Your right "I dont dictate how the economy works" but somebody should be, as its just a free for all here, everyone ripping each other off, driving the economy further and further into the ground...you clearly think unregulated rents and housing bubbles are a clever thing...because your clearly not so good at history yourself...not even recent history of your own country.

If someone cant afford a house where they want to buy. They look for somewhere cheaper. If they still cant afford a house, they go on the council list and maybe they will get one.
    We cant all live in SCD or wherever we feel we deserve to live. We live where we can afford to live. If houses are renting and selling in an area then that shows us that there are indeed people who can afford to live in that area. Just becuase someone is not one of those people doesnt make it a conspiracy against them.
    Id like to see examples of all of this tampering mentioned in the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

No thats not what you said. You said there should be no profit in the market. Now youre talking about sleeping rough to somehow justify your point. Are you a extreme left looney, or a realist?

Yes, regulation should be better but were a long way off that. Im sure it will happen in the next 10-20 years, like Berlin

Are you really that stupid ??

20K more people are paying income tax. That means on one year ago X number of people were working and paying income tax. Today X + 20,000 are paying income tax.

People leaving the country no longer pay income tax so have no impact on these figures.

God almighty is no wonder why you cant understand the SCD housing market.

Long term vacancies... also you still didnt name the jobs being created..low paid and part time in most cases...you fool no one but yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

My head was wrecked that I never managed to get enough money for a house during the last 5 years and now I know that I will probably have to wait a long time before I have enough money to actually buy (or indeed build). However, I can feel the pain of the original poster, it isn't a nice thing to be going through. But I would never go to Boards for help on anything.

No thats not what you said. You said there should be no profit in the market. Now youre talking about sleeping rough to somehow justify your point. Are you a extreme left looney, or a realist?

Yes, regulation should be better but were a long way off that. Im sure it will happen in the next 10-20 years, like Berlin

No...in a stagnant market...there should be no profit..because by definition you cant profit from stagnation in the sales market..well unless you start renting...which is where the current profits are being raked in. For what its worth having to rebut numerous posters isnt an easy task..Im doing my best, so I might be liable for the odd slip up.

Long term vacancies... also you still didnt name the jobs being created..low paid and part time in most cases...you fool no one but yourself.

Low paid and part time don't fall into the tax net in general, keep trying though one of these days you will say something that stands up economically.

If someone cant afford a house where they want to buy. They look for somewhere cheaper. If they still cant afford a house, they go on the council list and maybe they will get one.
    We cant all live in SCD or wherever we feel we deserve to live. We live where we can afford to live. If houses are renting and selling in an area then that shows us that there are indeed people who can afford to live in that area. Just becuase someone is not one of those people doesnt make it a conspiracy against them.
    Id like to see examples of all of this tampering mentioned in the OP.

Stick with daft and myhome for a year or two and youll see it. In life you get what you think your worth..not what your actually worth...maybe there is something wrong with your outlook rather than mine. Plenty on here seem to think its perfectly justifiable to jack up rents 20% on people who are not getting pay rises to match. Justifiable simply because they know there is no option for the tenant..either pay or leave...its called price gouging..people do it in petrol stations when they know there is a fuel shortage...and anywhere else its illegal..not in Ireland though..and if I was an overseas investor id not likely invest in such a corrupt country...this being the tip of the iceberg of course.

No...in a stagnant market...there should be no profit..because by definition you cant profit from stagnation in the sales market..well unless you start renting...which is where the current profits are being raked in. For what its worth having to rebut numerous posters isnt an easy task..Im doing my best, so I might be liable for the odd slip up.

I think the general concensus both using statistics and anecdotal evidence is that selling prices will increase, not boom over the next few years. The number of foreign interest from US based funds, UK pub chains and Chinese and Malaysian investors to name a few says there is value to be had in the Irish market and that the bottom has passed. If it hasnt passed, where were all these investors 2/3 years ago?

You will not get a house in SCD for cheaper than what they were being marketed for in late 2011 and a large part of 2012.

Your gasp on the financial world lets you down yet again. Well done, but regardless what does the moving of profits to tax havens using IP have to do with anything in this thread.

You said there haven't been jobs created the FACTS are there has been. Its another of your ranty rubbish statements that can be disproved by fact.

I can provide data to show jobs have increased in the past year, I can also show data that shows houses in SCD have increased in the last year.

So why are you still persisting ? Your doing nothing now but amusing me by your lack of knowledge.

Stick with daft and myhome for a year or two and youll see it. In life you get what you think your worth..not what your actually worth...maybe there is something wrong with your outlook rather than mine. Plenty on here seem to think its perfectly justifiable to jack up rents 20% on people who are not getting pay rises to match. Justifiable simply because they know there is no option for the tenant..either pay or leave...its called price gouging..people do it in petrol stations when they know there is a fuel shortage...and anywhere else its illegal..not in Ireland though..and if I was an overseas investor id not likely invest in such a corrupt country...this being the tip of the iceberg of course.

20%!!!! Thats not gouging. Thats supply and demand. "Basic economics"

> 200% is gouging

Otherwise known as supply and demand. This is beginning to get ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Firstly inflation is running about 1% so that's not stagflation.

Secondly many inflationary outlooks do not including housing as a measure in them, so you cannot automatically take inflation, deflation or stagflation figures and apply them to housing.

Thirdly inflation, deflation or stagflation occurs across an economy and is a calculated measure across them all it doesn't mean everything in an economy tracks equally.

Just because Inflation is at 1% doesn't mean for example that fuel / heating costs will equally be 1% .

I shouldn't have to spell out such basic things but you really seem to have no grasp at all.

Your gasp on the financial world lets you down yet again. Well done, but regardless what does the moving of profits to tax havens using IP have to do with anything in this thread.

You said there haven't been jobs created the FACTS are there has been. Its another of your ranty rubbish statements that can be disproved by fact.

I can provide data to show jobs have increased in the past year, I can also show data that shows houses in SCD have increased in the last year.

So why are you still persisting ? Your doing nothing now but amusing me by your lack of knowledge.

"what does the moving of profits to tax havens using IP have to do with anything in this thread. "
    shows where your morals are at. Its supposed to be your country too..but you clearly give yourself away with that statement alone.
    Wealth is finite...not infinite. if you take wealth, vast wealth at that, out of the system, through the non taxation of internet giants etc...you rob the country by default. it has a knock on effect right down the ladder. Its another piece of the jigsaw and yes its another large problem with the Irish economic model....which writ large is "as long as I get mine, fvck you" and it comes from the top down. Margret Thatcher would be proud of the Irish.

"what does the moving of profits to tax havens using IP have to do with anything in this thread. "
    shows where your morals are at. Its supposed to be your country too..but you clearly give yourself away with that statement alone.
    Wealth is finite...not infinite. if you take wealth, vast wealth at that, out of the system, through the non taxation of internet giants etc...you rob the country by default. it has a knock on effect right down the ladder. Its another piece of the jigsaw and yes its another large problem with the Irish economic model....which writ large is "as long as I get mine, fvck you" and it comes from the top down. Margret Thatcher would be proud of the Irish.

So are we leaving your issues over housing to the side now and going in a different direction?

I think the general concensus both using statistics and anecdotal evidence is that selling prices will increase, not boom over the next few years. The number of foreign interest from US based funds, UK pub chains and Chinese and Malaysian investors to name a few says there is value to be had in the Irish market and that the bottom has passed. If it hasnt passed, where were all these investors 2/3 years ago?

You will not get a house in SCD for cheaper than what they were being marketed for in late 2011 and a large part of 2012.

The US gov just shut down for two weeks...all because of an argument over the debt ceiling..Your not as sharp as you think you are...
    the debt ceiling being now raised further...so sooner of later unless america come up with another economic engine like a new motor industry...it will have to default...there is not one expert who says otherwise..AMERICA WILL DEFAULT.
    And as most of that debt is owned by China..it will have the knock on effect there.
    This stuff isn't years down the line...its months down the line.
    Wait and see...and then lets see how much the houses are worth around here. This is a global economic chain and the ones at the top are in big trouble..

only stating this as you think the US and Chinese investors will sort everything out...dont make me laugh.

So are we leaving your issues over housing to the side now and going in a different direction?

One thing leads to another. It's all interconnected because its a global economy and a global economic crisis...

One thing leads to another. It's all interconnected because its a global economy and a global economic crisis...

What has it got to do with what brought you on here ranting about gouging because your LL wants to up your rent? That is supply and demand, move out/move to somewhere that you can actually afford and get on with it.

The US gov just shut down for two weeks...all because of an argument over the debt ceiling..Your not as sharp as you think you are...
    the debt ceiling being now raised further...so sooner of later unless america come up with another economic engine like a new motor industry...it will have to default...there is not one expert who says otherwise..AMERICA WILL DEFAULT.
    And as most of that debt is owned by China..it will have the knock on effect there.
    This stuff isn't years down the line...its months down the line.
    Wait and see...and then lets see how much the houses are worth around here. This is a global economic chain and the ones at the top are in big trouble..

Listen, the rates the US sell treasuries and the rate of inflation combined mean over a 30y period they actually make money. Currently its in their interest to issue debt and they can reduce that when theyre economy starts to fully take off. If you need another education lesson, which you clearly do, they yesterday added 148k jobs month on month.

Surely, even you can admit now that you dont really have a grasp of what youre blustering on about and that you have missed the bottom of the market.

What has it got to do with what brought you on here ranting about gouging because your LL wants to up your rent? That is supply and demand, move out/move to somewhere that you can actually afford and get on with it.

I may as well say to you..."if you dont like this thread get out of it" yet your still here mouthing off.

Listen, the rates the US sell treasuries and the rate of inflation combined mean over a 30y period they actually make money. Currently its in their interest to issue debt and they can reduce that when theyre economy starts to fully take off. If you need another education lesson, which you clearly do, they yesterday added 148k jobs month on month.

Surely, even you can admit now that you dont really have a grasp of what youre blustering on about and that you have missed the bottom of the market.

So if America defaults...and the dollar crashes..that means i win right? So i guess we will just have to give it a few more months before you can make out you know better than I.

Needless to say...if i had a house to sell and wanted to move elsewhere...id be selling it now. We will see if i missed the bottom of the market...my ar5e i have.

• Advertisement

I may as well say to you..."if you dont like this thread get out of it" yet your still here mouthing off.

As are you and yet when you are told something you don't like you shift the argument. We starting on housing, moved onto taxation issues, employment, emmigration. Anything else I missed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement