Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property websites manipulating the housing market.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

josip wrote: »
    The OPs personal touch might need a bit of improvement but it was interesting to hear a different perspective to the norm. She did remain on topic most of the way along and I wasn't sure at the end she was trolling or just venting a bit.

You mean funny to hear that perspective. Nothing interesting about broad generalisations, a lack of understanding of basic fundamentals of how a market functions and dooms day mongering to validate a point.

That and not once did he offer where he thought the market should be and when all this dooms day lark would happen. All talk, nothing to back it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I get the supply and demand argument and all....but really....

Does anyone know what the agents are doing on sites like Daft.ie? I see the same place for rent, then I call and I'm told it's already taken. Then I see it back up a month later. Then I call again and I'm told it's already taken. Minimum lease is 12-months. Sometimes I'm told it's gone, but it remains on the site for another month.

Each time the price and photos are the same.

Why do they do it? What is the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

UCDVet wrote: »

Does anyone know what the agents are doing on sites like Daft.ie? I see the same place for rent, then I call and I'm told it's already taken. Then I see it back up a month later. Then I call again and I'm told it's already taken. Minimum lease is 12-months. Sometimes I'm told it's gone, but it remains on the site for another month.

Possibly to gauge interest for someone trying to decide to start renting? Or possibly a LL will put it up thinking that his existing tennants may leave once he announces the rent increase.

The tennants get into a huff, tell LL they'll be leaving but once they've had a good look around they realise that the LL is just keeping up with the market and they may as well stay.

Could be any number of reasons. Also I think that a lot of agents are simply lazy / slow with removing adds. Also they may to leave them up to have people think they have a larger 'portfolio'.

UCDVet wrote: »

I dont know but id guess theyre gauging the market - how many people enquire about a property in a certain area at a certain price.

Its pretty frustrating if youre looking, but i could only reason it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

I dont know but id guess theyre gauging the market - how many people enquire about a property in a certain area at a certain price.

If the OP reads your post, there's a good chance she'll read "...guess they're gouging the market..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

It's like a tea party convention in here.

Lads the only thing holding up the property market is cash buyers. The population of future buyers will continue to decline, only IT is growing. Credit doesn't exist. Ireland will not be the only country to never repossess houses.

Valuing the Irish property market by today's transactions is like agreeing that AIB is genuinely larger than Deutsche Bank.

Lads the only thing holding up the property market is cash buyers. The population of future buyers will continue to decline, only IT is growing. Credit doesn't exist. Ireland will not be the only country to never repossess houses.

Valuing the Irish property market by today's transactions is like agreeing that AIB is genuinely larger than Deutsche Bank.

Very good analogy.
    Both supply and demand are much reduced since 2007.
    Would you/others say that supply has contracted more than demand or vice versa?

So if its not at a floor, how far in relative terms do you expect it to fall and when will the cash buyers run out?

Im not advocating a 50% increase in the next year. Im saying between 3%-5% each year over the next 5-8 years.

We initially started talking about the SCD housing market, not the Irish one. The Irish market is too disjointed to draw any one conclusion. Conclusions can be more definitive in the case of SCD

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Need4House

Hold on a minute...didnt i say that about 12 pages ago..and the likes of you denied it. What do you think manipulating the market means? And you call me stupid, when clearly your daft.ie. Now why not go back over every comment you made on this entire thread and see what a huge hypocrite you are by making that sytatement...you just lost any credibility. Not that you had any in the first place mind.

Need4House wrote: »
    Hold on a minute...didnt i say that about 12 pages ago..and the likes of you denied it. What do you think manipulating the market means? your daft.ie as hell.

You said a lot of things and also didnt respond to a lot of things when called up on them.

They can test the market for a price in doing that but your suggestion was they were market making and pushing the prices up and gouging people. If the market didnt want to pay it, it wouldnt. Maybe you should go to some open rental viewings and see the number of people vying for the apartment/house on show. In this circumstance the market is clearly indicating that there is strong demand and even with your grasp of economics you should know what that does to a prices direction.

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    Possibly to gauge interest for someone trying to decide to start renting? Or possibly a LL will put it up thinking that his existing tennants may leave once he announces the rent increase.

The tennants get into a huff, tell LL they'll be leaving but once they've had a good look around they realise that the LL is just keeping up with the market and they may as well stay.

Could be any number of reasons. Also I think that a lot of agents are simply lazy / slow with removing adds. Also they may to leave them up to have people think they have a larger 'portfolio'.

"possibly to guage interest" you dont say your also admitting what i said 12 pages back is even a possibility???...that would make you look like a complete brain surgeon wouldnt it, to do a uturn like that on your such strongly held convictions there is no manipulation in the SD property market. No its not because of sitting tenants..because if your a tenant you have to agree to a fixt term lease, usually 1 year..so that doesnt explain the same propeties being up for MONTHS on end...
    Your alteast right about EA's being lazy..but thats not why they are slow at removing adds...because once again your not the one who has studied the form of these websites...a house is up for rent..gone 10 hours later when you call...etc...still up a week later...you call again and the EA says its "just gone" once again...you ask why is it still online then? Oh its comming off today...A week later still there...except this time...it shows that its "just been entered that day" ..you call again and guess what..."its gone..again...right off the bat" same thing with many of the properties for sale too..one up at 270 grand..gone straight off...corse a month later still there...gone again when you call..not just gone, someone payed 30 grand obver the asking price...week later still there 270 grand..and ..gone again...week later..property entered that day same price..not even worth wasting the phone call on....BU775hi7. And for the likes of you and others to TROLL my thread when clearly your clueless as to what actually goes on...proves people like you should actually keep your opinions to yourself unless you actually have stuidied the practices of these websites. As you clearly do not know what your talking about if it took 12+ pages of snarky remarks for you to figure out "possibly to guage interest"
    its not possibly...its a dead certainty..and by doing this they are forcing the rents up..holding on to some rental properties for months to cut supply..Did it never occur to you that many of these same EA's will own rental properties themselves in Dub..DUH..in fact dollars to donuts between the whole shower of them they likley own a whole slew of properties they can use to manipulate the SD rental market...Just like a CABAL. and you also forget there are now others finally posting on this thread..(and about bloody time too) who have noticed the same tactics. your also forgetting supposedly this year there are a third less rentals in SD..a third less? How the hell did that come about? Oh with all the sales I suppose..and all the thousands and thousands of cash buyers and Chinese investors......MY A55. You might be daft.ie but i aint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Public service announcement.

Don't feed the troll.

That is all.

"possibly to guage interest" you dont say your also admitting what i said 12 pages back was even a possibility...that would make you look like a complete brain surgeon woulnt it. No its not because of sitting tenants..because if your a tenant you have to agree to a fixt tem lease, usually 1 year..so that doesnt explain the same propeties being upo for MONTHS on end...
    Your alteast right about EA's being lazy..but thats not why they are slow at removing adds...because one again your not the one who has studied the form of these websites...a house is up for rent..gone 10 hours later when you call...etc...still up a week later...you call again and the EA says its "just gone" once again...you ask why is it still online then? Oh its comming off today...A week later still there...except this time...it shows that its "just been entered that day" same thing with many of the properties for sale too. And for the likes of you and others to TROLL my thread when clearly your clueless as to what actually goes on...proves people like you should actually keep your opinions to yourself unless you actually have stuidies the practices of these websites. As you clearly do not know what your talking about if it took 12+ pages of snarky remarky for you to figure out "possibly to guage interest"
    its not possibly...its a dead certainty..and by doing tis they are forcing the rents up..holding on to some rental properties for months to cut supply..Did it never occur to you that many of these same EA's will own rental properties themselves in Dub..DUH..in fact dollars to donuts between the whole shower of them they likley own a whole slew of properties they can use to manipulate the SD rental market...Just like a CABAL. and you also forget there are now others finally posting on this thread..(and about bloody time too) who have noticed the same tactics. your also forgetting supposedly this year there are a third less rentals in SD..a third less? How the hell did that come about? Oh with all the sales I suppose...MY A55. You might be daft.ie but i aint.

Sweet jesus - youve reached a new low:

"by doing tis they are forcing the rents up..holding on to some rental properties for months to cut supply..Did it never occur to you that many of these same EA's will own rental properties themselves in Dub..DUH..in fact dollars to donuts between the whole shower of them they likley own a whole slew of properties they can use to manipulate the SD rental market...Just like a CABAL"

Im off. Theres no talking sense to you. Bit of advice - give youre kid a chance in life and dont subject them to your bizarre slant on the world

D3PO wrote: »
    Public service announcement.

Don't feed the troll.

That is all.

"Debating with some people is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory."

;)

Im off. Theres no talking sense to you. Bit of advice - give youre kid a chance in life and dont subject them to your bizarre slant on the world

yup, me too, have to go talk to some tennants about raising the rents to keep up with the market.

You said a lot of things and also didnt respond to a lot of things when called up on them.

They can test the market for a price in doing that but your suggestion was they were market making and pushing the prices up and gouging people. If the market didnt want to pay it, it wouldnt. Maybe you should go to some open rental viewings and see the number of people vying for the apartment/house on show. In this circumstance the market is clearly indicating that there is strong demand and even with your grasp of economics you should know what that does to a prices direction.

You have already discredited yourself on this thread...everyone with eyes and a functioning brain can see that much. You think my grasp of economincs is flimsy..well lets talk about yours..IT man..

The only actual "real economies" make actual real things, or didnt you know that? So China ..because its economy is based on manufacturing actual real things..has an actual real economy. because China acted as the worlds actual real factory...it propped up the wests economy..because the wests economy, ever sinse we stopped actually making things..has been a a lot of smoke and mirrors..or didnt the credit crunch spell that one out for you?.
    We now have yet another internet giant going to the markets "Twitter" aptley named for the people who use it. And of corse Twitter has never turned a profit...never. So in a real economy, rocket scientist, how can something that makes no profit, be worth anything? unless of course were talking about something subjective as art..but were not talking about art... Twitter is supposed to be A BUSINESS...its much the same as the US dollar, it isnt actually worth anything because its not backed by anything...OTHER THAN HYPE and BS. You probably think the US has a functioning economy...by your grasp of economics. In laymans terms the US is already well beyond bankrupt, long ago, and its only due to the fact they are being allowed to print trillions of worthless (unbacked by gold or even peanuts or cheese cake) dollars that the country is still stuttering along...but you can only get away with pulling paper out of thin air so long. the only reason the rest of the world has not called Americas debt in, and crushed that country completley sending it back to the stone age, or as good as, is because they fear the reprecussions on their own economies. But any clown can see the world economy is past running on empty..its done..and Google and Facebook will save the world economy...You Twitter.

yup, me too, have to go talk to some tennants about raising the rents to keep up with the market.

Thats right go...right after you both discredited yourselves. And I expect you to both now stick to your convictions and make sure you dont come back...your good at throwing around childish insults but bugger all else. Get a good sweat on and aching muscles plowing through all that heavy data lads....The androgynous wives will be ready with your microwave lasagna when you get home at 6pm covered in all that office grime and filth..the career of a true "man". And everyone wonders what went wrong.

You have already discredited yourself on this thread...everyone with eyes and a functioning brain can see that much. You think my grasp of economincs is flimsy..well lets talk about yours..IT man..

The only actual "real economies" make actual real things, or didnt you know that? So China ..because its economy is based on manufacturing actual real things..has an actual real economy. because China acted as the worlds actual real factory...it propped up the wests economy..because the wests economy, ever sinse we stopped actually making things..has been a a lot of smoke and mirrors..or didnt the credit crunch spell that one out for you?.
    We now have yet another internet giant going to the markets "Twitter" aptley named for the people who use it. And of corse Twitter has never turned a profit...never. So in a real economy, rocket scientist, how can something that makes no profit, be worth anything? unless of course were talking about something subjective as art..but were not talking about art... Twitter is supposed to be A BUSINESS...its much the same as the US dollar, it isnt actually worth anything because its not backed by anything...OTHER THAN HYPE and BS. You probably think the US has a functioning economy...by your grasp of economics. In laymans terms the US is already wll beyond bankrupt, and its only due to the fact they are being allowed to prinmt trillions of worthless (unbacked by gold or even peanuts or cheese cake) dollars that the country is still stuttering along...but you can only get away with pulling paper out of thin air so long. the only reason the rest of the world has no called Americas debt in and crushed that country, is because they fear the reprecussions on their own economies. But any clown can see the world economy is past running on empty..its done..and Google and Facebook will save the world economy...You Twitter.

I dont work in IT. I never said where i work. Dont you tire of being factually incorrect.

Im not going to even reply to your cave man rant which is some extreme left wing opinion piece lifted straight from an Economics text book and no attempt made to interpret to how economic models need to be tweaked for reality. I vote Labour, im slightly centre left but your extreme views are the domain of cave man

"Debating with some people is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory."

;)
    So thats your other hobby then pigeon chess..not suprised you cant find any humanbeings to play with.

I dont work in IT. I never said where i work. Dont you tire of being factually incorrect.

Im not going to even reply to your cave man rant which is some extreme left wing opinion piece lifted straight from an Economics text book and no attempt made to interpret to how economic models need to be tweaked for reality. I vote Labour, im slightly centre left but your extreme views are the domain of cave man

"Ugg, ugg, ugg". I could have swore you said you were off...yet your still here..so does that mean your a lair? Your not even going to relpy to my cavemen rant..yet you replied...again your credibility is through the floor at this point.

• Advertisement

"Ugg, ugg, ugg". I could have swore you said you were off...yet your still here..so does that mean your a lair? Your not even going to relpy to my cavemen rant..yet you replied...again your credibility is through the floor at this point.

Best of luck commuting from the affordability of Kinegad

Best of luck commuting from the affordability of Kinegad

There's no bus from Kinnegad is there?

How many minutes walk from the Stillorgan dualer/N11 would you be prepared to walk OP?
    And between what suburbs would you consider? I think that beyond Foxrock the bus frequency diminishes a bit. In past Donnybrook is probably unrealistic for 250K.
    Maybe we can use our collective interest here on boards to find you a house that meets your criteria?

There's no bus from Kinnegad is there?

I've no idea but with this lads smarts, his aspirational attitude and invaluable contribution to his employer given he cant get a pay rise, he'll be lucky if he can afford the bus from Kinegad either

Like I said you two rocket scientists lost credibility long ago, especially after you continued on after this statement..and by definition a TROLL is one who hijacks someones thread...As it was I who started this thread that would make you two and the like of you..the Troll partol.

Like I said you two rocketsicentits lost credibility long ago, especially after continuing on after this statement..and by definition a TROLL is one who hijacks someones thread...As it was I who started this thread that would make you two and the like of you..the Troll partol.

We've stooped to your level because I couldnt or anybody else for that matter talk sense to you and the irony is you havnt even realised that. Youre not great on the uptake.

I even offered helpful suggestions as to how you could go and discover yourself, in person where the market is at in SCD.

How many minutes walk from the Stillorgan dualer/N11 would you be prepared to walk OP?
    And between what suburbs would you consider? I think that beyond Foxrock the bus frequency diminishes a bit. In past Donnybrook is probably unrealistic for 250K.
    Maybe we can use our collective interest here on boards to find you a house that meets your criteria?

Dont delude yourself...there is no interest in helping anyone on this thread. Can you not see by the typical postings on here? The posters typically think squeezing every last sent out of tenants is legitimate business..they have no moral compass..no intergrity..and when compared to pychopaths they are insulted???. This is where people like Wexie and the likes, come to throw barbs at strangers.. its a hobby for some, unproductive mcuh like what they do for a living. Ive met his type a lot in Dub, and funny enough mostly IT workers...I think its down to them only ever interacting with other people over the internet, they seem to have no clue anymore have to converse with anyone in real life, socially impotent.

Dont delude yourself...there is no interest in helping anyone on this thread. Can you not see by the typical postings on here? The posters typically think squeezing every last sent out of tenants is legitimate business..they have no moral compass..no intergrity..and when compared to pychopaths they are insulted???. This is where people like Wexie and the likes, come to throw barbs at strangers.. its a hobby for some, unproductive mcuh like what they do for a living. Ive met his type a lot in Dub, and funny enough mostly IT workers...I think its down to them only ever interacting with other people over the internet, they seem to have no clue anymore have to converse with anyone in real life, socially impotent.

Ok so. Would 10 minutes walk from a bus stop anywhere between Loughlinstown and Donnybrook be unreasonable?

We've stooped to your level because I couldnt or anybody else for that matter talk sense to you and the irony is you havnt even realised that. Youre not great on the uptake.

I even offered helpful suggestions as to how you could go and discover yourself, in person where the market is at in SCD.

Yes youve been really helpful and enlightening. As I said you have done a uturn already..you have said you were done on this theread already...and strike three, your now "lowering yuourself to my level" huh, why would a creidble person with a legitamate argument "lower themselves to my level"...arnt people with solid arguments supposed to bring me up to their level? Your out.

I get you though..you obviously have some great investment in SD propety..clearly, you wouldnt be so determined to argue back on this thread otherwise. Id hate to realize my investment was about to go through the floor too. Id probably be talking a load of B0770x myself on here just to convince everyone that my SD house it worth the money.

• Advertisement

Ok so. Would 10 minutes walk from a bus stop anywhere between Loughlinstown and Donnybrook be unreasonable?

For what its worth i walk 10 mins to the bus anyhow..and im in Blackrock for what its worth...and..to the person who asked about the pub..funny enough i dont fancy naming the pub.. for various reasons.

but for those who care about such things...its the only pub ive ever been in that has a needle bin in the toilets...they may well have moved it sinse last year as ive not been in since...as seeing that was enough to put me off drinking there...there are not many pubs in blackrock..for what its worth...one here and there...but if anyone is that interested they can go on a mission to every pub in blackrock and look in every mens toilet till they find the pub..and im sure if one pub has a needle bin around here others will too...on top of that im also sure some of the posters on here would find it lots of fun spending several hours in mens toilets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement