Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monsoon for dress for wedding?

Comments

Monsoon quality I have always found to be excellent. Really nice fit, but their sizing is quite generous.

The second dress is very "bridal" and so I would avoid like the plague tbh.
    The first is pretty and I can't see why it wouldn't suit a 28 year old. Looks fairly timeless, the only thing I would be considering is your height. I'm 5'3" so it would be way too long and frumpy on me, but if you're taller and more slender then it would be gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Monsoon quality I have always found to be excellent. Really nice fit, but their sizing is quite generous.

The second dress is very "bridal" and so I would avoid like the plague tbh.
    The first is pretty and I can't see why it wouldn't suit a 28 year old. Looks fairly timeless, the only thing I would be considering is your height. I'm 5'3" so it would be way too long and frumpy on me, but if you're taller and more slender then it would be gorgeous.

I'm about 5'6" so tall enough I guess and I'm slim but I wouldn't consider myself slender....:D I'd have to try it on obviously, I'm a size 10/12 normally in a dress - I think with the look of this dress I'd probably need a 12.

I'm going to town on Saturday so might see if they have it in the shop and if not I can order it online then.

I thought the 2nd one might be a bit too 'bridal' alright - eeeek don't want that :eek: :o

Yeh I'd say it would be lovely then with your height and slimness :D

My guess though is you'll probably go for the 10 if you're between sizes.

Yeh I'd say it would be lovely then with your height and slimness :D

My guess though is you'll probably go for the 10 if you're between sizes.

Thanks a million whoops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I just got this one: Monsoon Dress for a wedding I have coming up at Christmas.

I've bought a good few of their dresses over the years and they are always good quality with lovely embellishments. I do find some can be a bit too long (they stop mid calf which is quite unflattering) but the above dress is knee length on me and I'm 5' 7".

Also, it can often work out cheaper to order the dress from the uk website, even with delivery it's sometimes up to €40 cheaper than buying it in the shop! That dress is £139 on web with £10 express delivery. So it's €218 in Irish shops but €175 from website inc delivery! Good to know.

• Advertisement

I just got this one: Monsoon Dress for a wedding I have coming up at Christmas.

I've bought a good few of their dresses over the years and they are always good quality with lovely embellishments. I do find some can be a bit too long (they stop mid calf which is quite unflattering) but the above dress is knee length on me and I'm 5' 7".

Also, it can often work out cheaper to order the dress from the uk website, even with delivery it's sometimes up to €40 cheaper than buying it in the shop! That dress is £139 on web with £10 express delivery. So it's €218 in Irish shops but €175 from website inc delivery! Good to know.

Thanks, might just order it altogether so! I can take it back to the shop if it's not suitable which is great! Cheers! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love that black dress. If I didn't have such a rotund stomach, I'd buy it for myself and just wear it around the house :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Love the black dress. Have a wedding in December too (hope it's no the the same one!)
    Was looking at it in red.

honeybear wrote: »
    Love the black dress. Have a wedding in December too (hope it's no the the same one!)
    Was looking at it in red.

Is it in Kerry?!

leahyl wrote: »
    Is it in Kerry?!
    No...phew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭mollymaloney

Both the dresses are very nice but the black one is absolutely divine. Monsoon clothing I find is top quality-- gorgeous fabrics and well constructed. Sadly, at 5' 4'' tall -[small], most of their real classy stuff drops way too low on me. But I have quite a few Monsoon dresses and skirts in my wardrobe and I can only speak well of their stuff.

Both the dresses are very nice but the black one is absolutely divine. Monsoon clothing I find is top quality-- gorgeous fabrics and well constructed. Sadly, at 5' 4'' tall -[small], most of their real classy stuff drops way too low on me. But I have quite a few Monsoon dresses and skirts in my wardrobe and I can only speak well of their stuff.

Thanks Mollymaloney :-) I went into monsoon in Cork City yesterday and saw the black dress and to be honest I was slightly disappointed with it in "real life" - I'd say it would be way past the knee on me and could look a little old so I didn't try it on; but I did try on another dress which I was surprised that it actually looked ok on me (thought it might be a bit flouncy!) - it's a prom style dress, I didn't buy it, gonna buy it online as I understand it's cheaper that way?

Anyway this is it (I've also seem another dress on their website that wasn't in the shop that I think I'll buy too and then make a decision! If either of them suit that is!)

http://http://m-uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/4531050110

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ciara GaGa

The sleeve on the first one is stunning, and really flattering, good choice :)

That link in your last post is only bringing me to the Monsoon homepage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Faith wrote: »
    That link in your last post is only bringing me to the Monsoon homepage.

The Monsoon website is funny like that. Sometimes a link will bring me to the homepage and sometimes it will bring me to the correct page. In the OP I couldn't see the dresses if I looked on my phone but I could on my laptop and in the last post I can see the dress on my phone.

The Monsoon website is funny like that. Sometimes a link will bring me to the homepage and sometimes it will bring me to the correct page. In the OP I couldn't see the dresses if I looked on my phone but I could on my laptop and in the last post I can see the dress on my phone.

Ha, I was the same for the first post, couldn't see them on my phone. Now I can see the last link on my phone!

It's a lovely dress, leahyl :)

Edit: Wait, the last link is actually a mobile link, so that's probably why it works on phones. Stupid that the site can't operate properly on different devices though. You'd think they'd be able to handle that!

Oh god that's a bit annoying alright! Yeah the one I linked to on my phone is a black jacquard material prom dress - think I might go to monsoon again today and try it on before I buy it online - make sure I actually still like it cos I have a habit of going off clothes the second time I try them on!

I tried on the monsoon dress today and was.very disappointed. Back to the drawing board for me!

honeybear wrote: »
    I tried on the monsoon dress today and was.very disappointed. Back to the drawing board for me!

Honeybear the dress I linked to in my second post is a really lovely dress - I'm ordering it tomorrow online (once I get paid!) - tried it on in the shop and it's really classy - if the link doesn't work then look up "jaya jacquard prom dress" on monsoon website. :-)

Like you I wasn't at all impressed with the black lace one when I saw it in the shop - looked a bit old I thought.

leahyl wrote: »
    Honeybear the dress I linked to in my second post is a really lovely dress - I'm ordering it tomorrow online (once I get paid!) - tried it on in the shop and it's really classy - if the link doesn't work then look up "jaya jacquard prom dress" on monsoon website. :-)

Like you I wasn't at all impressed with the black lace one when I saw it in the shop - looked a bit old I thought.

That is a gorgeous dress. Don't think I could carry it off (late 30's!!!!) Enjoy the wedding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I like Monsoon dresses, particularly for special occasions. I got one in there for a wedding and got lots of compliments about it on the day. I'm always wary of the website though. I've found in the past that I've chosen dresses online, gone in to try them on and hated them as soon as I've seen them. Definitely go in and browse in the shop!

Advertisement