Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server Disk Monitoring

Options
  • 24-10-2013 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

I've been told by my boss that the backup for a server on our network was up by over 50GB from the previous nights backup and to look into what might have caused that.

There are multiple shares so having gone through a number of them and checking the date modified & organizing the files by size in the places you would expect to have gains i.e. users personal shared drives & project drives, I've failed to find what has taken up the 50GB

I'm wondering is there a way of monitoring files uploaded to a server i.e. is there a way for me to monitor the uploads to a server easily or would this require something along the lines of Naigos to monitor the traffic to the server over the past 24hours

Am I being ignorant and can it be found within windows or would a 3rd party install be required?

Would appreciate any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

What are you using for backup? You may be able to look through the backup reports between nights to find the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

mbroaders wrote: »
    What are you using for backup? You may be able to look through the backup reports between nights to find the difference.
    Backup exec, I'll give a look at the logs now but I don't know if they'll go into that much detail - perfect opportunity to see the detail that you can go into on the logs though I guess :)

I've implemented Lansweeper which is a handy tool and one that allows me to report on disks but only regarding when space is less than a certain amount or the disk is full etc.

It'd be very nice to see the file transfers to & from servers & the size of the transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

If you open the job log in backup exec for the last two nights backups and expand all you can compare the size of each backup in detail to find where the extra capacity came from. If there are a lot of drives/folders it can take a while to go through but you can definitely find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Perfect cheers, should be taking over the backups in the next couple of weeks so happy to know you can do that!

Advertisement