Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Man- Hitler Birthday Cake

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Saw this yesterday on broadsheet.ie, very odd indeed.

here's the reason
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/10/24/hitler-cake-guy-the-truth/

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

The reason he had a Hitler birthday cake was because he admired Hitler's army?

Glad he cleared that up for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Oh, come on, it's a joke! Hitler is wearing a party hat FFS

It's a bit of a laugh, nothing more

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'll say its odd, but in fairness each to their own.
    Some people like reading and watching stuff about WW2, that in itself is not actually that odd. Somebody decided to use that as a joke for his cake,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

This is such a non story. If some one wants to have Hitler on their bday cake then why cant they sure its their choice i dont see how this offends people and the fact that this has become some sort of story really shows how stupid and petty journalism is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

(1) Private party.
    (2) Private cake.
    (3) Private opinion.
    I don't share his admiration for AH, but that is my opinion, he is intitled to his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

se conman wrote: »
    (1) Private party.
    (2) Private cake.
    (3) Private opinion.
    I don't share his admiration for AH, but that is my opinion, he is intitled to his.
    Not a big fan of After Hours myself :pac:

Daemos wrote: »
    Not a big fan of After Hours myself :pac:

Always one smarta**e. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

se conman wrote: »
    (1) Private party.
    (2) Private cake.
    (3) Private opinion.

I think people's upset came from it being paraded on the local paper. Also went on local radio and said he admired Adolf Hilter as an army leader...at these points it seized to be a private affair. I'm far from the PC brigade but I didn't find it appropriate.

Would that not put more blame on the media rather than on a man for having an opinion that is not the norm.

By the way, I am not defending his opinion, rather his right to have an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Nunn: “And all the people that he burned and…?”

Brennan: “Yes, well, that was the sinister thing about him. Behind that as well – and I don’t want to go into politics – but apparently there are two sides to every story and I heard that the other side of the story, the people that he, am, ah, put to death were spoiling the economy of his country by devaluing the deutschmark.”

Nunn: “Oh holy God. I can’t even let you say that, Larry, because I think that is just so offensive to people, you know. I mean…”

You would most likely go to prison if you said that over here in Austria..

I mean you can't tell someone what they can and can't admire but believing something like that is too much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

road_high wrote: »
    I think people's upset came from it being paraded on the local paper. Also went on local radio and said he admired Adolf Hilter as an army leader...at these points it seized to be a private affair. I'm far from the PC brigade but I didn't find it appropriate.

he sent his army to invade russia in winter ffs!

Arawn wrote: »
    he sent his army to invade russia in winter ffs!

So did Napoleon, but sure some people like him too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Hitler is now a historical character just like churchhill. Around the time of Roy Keane leaving Saipan no one seemed to get upset about those Collins t-shirts with "Another Cork man stabbed in the back!"
    Guy Fawkes gets burned every year but no one in England wants to refight the English civil war!
    Would a neo nazi iike mock Hitler?

catbear wrote: »
    Hitler is now a historical character just like churchhill. Around the time of Roy Keane leaving Saipan no one seemed to get upset about those Collins t-shirts with "Another Cork man stabbed in the back!"
    Guy Fawkes gets burned every year but no one in England wants to refight the English civil war!
    Would a neo nazi iike mock Hitler?

Are you serious? People are still being murdered because of Hitler's warped ideologys

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

you people do realize hitler was probably one of the best leaders in history?? ok granted i'm not going to say what he did was right but as a politician and as a leader the man was a genius, how many leaders can anyone say that brought a large country out of a recession to be a contender for world super power in something like 15-20 years.... we could do with one right now.....
    maybe he admired him for that?? doesn't always have to be the bad things people admire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

$kilkenny wrote: »
    you people do realize hitler was probably one of the best leaders in history?? ok granted i'm not going to say what he did was right but as a politician and as a leader the man was a genius, how many leaders can anyone say that brought a large country out of a recession to be a contender for world super power in something like 15-20 years.... we could do with one right now.....
    maybe he admired him for that?? doesn't always have to be the bad things people admire.

he said military leader, he invaded russia in the ****ing winter ffs. IIRC the only people who successfully did that were the bloody monghols.

There is no reason to admire Hitler at all, yes you can see he was a great leader but to admire him...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Am I the only one who noticed the irony of him (a Hitler fan) being from a town named "Coon"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Arawn wrote: »
    he said military leader, he invaded russia in the ****ing winter ffs. IIRC the only people who successfully did that were the bloody monghols.

There is no reason to admire Hitler at all, yes you can see he was a great leader but to admire him...

And probably would have defeated Russia but he also then went and declared war on the US which was spectacularly dumb

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Am I the only one who noticed the irony of him (a Hitler fan) being from a town named "Coon"?

tFqcJsI_the_coon.png

sp_0804_08_v6.jpg?width=480

??????

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

This thread is just missing this:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

He wasn't, but he did have the best trained and best led ( by the German general staff) army in the world. The only input needed from Hitler was all the money the army needed to rearm. This he gave them at the cost of any long term economic viability for the country, something he never had an interest in anyway.

Militarily things started going seriously downhill when he decided to get involved in making military decisions. No retreat Stalingrad, increasing scope of battle plans rendering them obsolete not to mention impossible ignoring the available resources time and time again, believing in his will over logistics, the list of catastrophic decisions made by a delusional lunatic is breathtaking and in terms of human cost nearly impossible to comprehend.

As far as economics policies? By 1936 Germany was on the verge of bankruptcy, unemployment figures had dropped to virtually none from 6 million it's true. At the same time women were no longer considered as part of the workforce so weren't counted, neither were jews or other "undesirables". Any left unemployed were given stark choices if they couldn't find a job or were not qualified, either take what the party offered, or enjoy the hospitality of your local labour camp.

Even the vaunted autobahn, the show-piece of Nazi Germany was a lie. At it's height it employed around 120,000 people, not the 600,000 claimed. Of those many were slave labourers. Strikes were broken with trade union leaders disappearing into the camps. Ironically enough before coming to power the nazis were actually part of a campaign AGAINST autobahns, which they viewed as benefiting only the rich and Jews (most Germans at the time did not have a car). It was only after coming to power that they recognised the benefit of them and jumped on the band wagon. The enduring myth between the Nazis and the autobahns is a striking example of their propaganda machine, one of the few things you could say they were truly good at.

Most employment prewar was actually for the war industry, again a completely unsustainable model with only one possible goal.

War, and the deaths of over 60 million people. Hardly what I would be calling the product of genius.

Are you serious? People are still being murdered because of Hitler's warped ideologys
    Are postulating that he invented it?

Racial/religious motivated murder was around long before hitler. Pogroms had been common in Germany since the times of the Crusades. When Hitler called it "the final solution" he was summoning an inherent ancient anti semitism.

Aside from the anti semitism there's the 30 year war which took the lives of a third of Germany, it took a century for the population to recover to where it was before that war.

Large scale murder is common throughout history.

Are postulating that he invented it?

Racial/religious motivated murder was around long before hitler. Pogroms had been common in Germany since the times of the Crusades. When Hitler called it "the final solution" he was summoning an inherent ancient anti semitism.

Aside from the anti semitism there's the 30 year war which took the lives of a third of Germany, it took a century for the population to recover to where it was before that war.
    Of course not, what Hitler did though was take it and organise it to a level that resulted in the deaths of millions, and not just jews but slavs, gypsies, homsexuals, anyone who didn't fulfill a select criteria. How many more millions would have been killed if he had been successfull?

Now look at the transcript again for what the man actually said
    the people that he, am, ah, put to death were spoiling the economy of his country by devaluing the deutschmark

that's a justification for the death of 6 million jews? That is sick.

And as was pointed out above Hitler should never have been allowed near the military command, most of the greatest disasters can be attributed directly to his commands. How many hundreds of thousands of german soldiers died due to his refusal to allow them to retreat? He ordered them to die for the sake of dying. A lot of the suffering of the german people at the end of the war can also attributed to him and his insane desire to fight to the end within germany even though the war had been lost over a year before.

You must have fallen asleep during the second half of that story.

The man was a great demagogue, probably the greatest, but I don't think thats a reason to admire someone who also committed so many awful crimes.

I must have read a different article about cake man, yeah he's a dick.

Unfortunately he's not alone. The Gardai and HSE stole a child because of suspicions based on racial distinctions.

That whole story sickened me to the core. But should I be surprised? After all Dev sent his condolences to the German people on the death on Hitler.

If Germany had invaded Ireland there would have been an enthusiastic volunteer force to help round up Jews/Homosexuals/even protestants.

On the other hand Hitler had said he could solve the "Irish problem" for Britain. After all wasn't the offer "Britain can have its Empire, Germany can have Europe".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I must have read a different article about cake man, yeah he's a dick.

Unfortunately he's not alone. The Gardai and HSE stole a child because of suspicions based on racial distinctions.

That whole story sickened me to the core. But should I be surprised? After all Dev sent his condolences to the German people on the death on Hitler.

If Germany had invaded Ireland there would have been an enthusiastic volunteer force to help round up Jews/Homosexuals/even protestants.

On the other hand Hitler had said he could solve the "Irish problem" for Britain. After all wasn't the offer "Britain can have its Empire, Germany can have Europe".

Are you for real? they didnt steal any child they acted in the manner that they had to as child trafficking is rife amongst the Roma people. If the cops didnt act there would be uproar about them doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

[QUOTE=....... child trafficking is rife amongst the Roma people.......

wow...what a thing to say....based on your personal research is it? how can you justify that?

Advertisement