Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell inspiron N5030 upgrade

Options
  • 24-10-2013 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

i have a dell inspiron n5030 with celeron 925 2.30ghz
    it is deadly slow
    it is running on windows7 home premium 64 bit
    it had only 2gb ram
    i upgraded it to 6gb
    still slow
    can i upgrade its processor?
    which would be the beat processor i can use with it?
    where i can get the processor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

A quick google suggests it should have (or can have) a T4500 cpu (dual core 2.3 GHz)
    Here are several such cpus: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=intel+T4500+cpu&_sop=15

But do your own research, laptop manufacturers have been known to have models with the same number, that have entirely different cpu and motherboard.

You may find it easier to just get a different laptop

Also, do the usual before you going buying bits, ccleaner,scandisk,defrag,check startup items and what processes arw running

The T4500 appears to be older than the 925, but is dual core. Same FSB speed,lithography,wattage.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sojc2002

i restored the laptop to factory state still the same
    when i open one or two web pages the system goes hanging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    The T4500 appears to be older than the 925, but is dual core. Same FSB speed,lithography,wattage.

The 925 is fairly recent creation all right (Q1/11) but it is one of the crappiest processors. Not suitable for a 64-bit operating system really.

Just refurbished an Inspiron 1545 with the older Celeron T3100 (Q3/08) which is a lot faster. Windows 7 (32-bit) Experience Index 4.9 / 4.9 (processor/memory performance). Not sluggish at all, decent responsiveness actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sojc2002

if i change my operating system to 32 bit, will it help any way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Well, you have 6 GB RAM, so will loose quite a lot. Of course, you can put a 2 GB RAM disk to good use (using system memory above 4 GB for a RAM disk is possible with a 32-bit operating system).

Also, visit blackviper.com and disable Windows services you may not need. With that processor, every little helps.

Are your RAM modules the same spec? Try just the 4GB stick, assuming you added a 4GB to the 2GB you had. You might also try a different browser, perhaps Opera or SRWare Iron. Open Task Manager and minimise it, you'll get a tray icon showing a CPU usage bar graph. See if its peaking when it seems slow.

Advertisement