Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow roasting beef brisket

Options
  • 24-10-2013 10:36am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have 1kg of beef brisket I want to slow roast, but the only timings I can find are for larger pieces. This recipe sounds nice, but how would I scale the timing down for the smaller piece?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If it was me I'd knock half an hour off the 4 hours at 140 degrees and another half hour off the last hour so it didn't dry up too much. You'd have to add the onions earlier though.
    Or I'd cook it in the slow cooker on high for 4 hours with all the ingredients and a small amount of liquid, then pop it into the oven for 30 minutes - I've done that with round roast before and it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

If it was me I'd knock half an hour off the 4 hours at 140 degrees and another half hour off the last hour so it didn't dry up too much. You'd have to add the onions earlier though.
    Or I'd cook it in the slow cooker on high for 4 hours with all the ingredients and a small amount of liquid, then pop it into the oven for 30 minutes - I've done that with round roast before and it was lovely.

Hi Dizzy,

Re: using the slow-cooker, what's the benefit in using the oven for the last 30mins?

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The oven will brown the edges better and get the Maillard reaction going. Another option is to brown the outside of the meat quickly on a hot pan before it goes in the slow cooker.

Neither are really necessary, but they can make the meat a bit nicer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Dizzy,

Re: using the slow-cooker, what's the benefit in using the oven for the last 30mins?

Thanks,
    Loire.

As stevenmu said, it's just to brown it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Thanks! I usually fry my roast on a frying pan at the beginning and then put it in to the slow cooker.
    Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I recently slow cooked a 1kg brisket. I went for 5 hours on high and 2 on low. Went for a Texas style spiced roast.

I used half a 330ml bottle of beer as my stock and there was enough left for gravy. Looking back, I'll try a 24 hour slow roast just to see how tender I can get it.

Let me know if you want the recipe!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

OldBean wrote: »
    I recently slow cooked a 1kg brisket. I went for 5 hours on high and 2 on low. Went for a Texas style spiced roast.

I used half a 330ml bottle of beer as my stock and there was enough left for gravy. Looking back, I'll try a 24 hour slow roast just to see how tender I can get it.

Let me know if you want the recipe!

Thanks! It's done now. I put it in the slow cooker for about 5 hours on high and an hour on low, followed by 30 mins in the oven. It was in the slow cooker with beef stock, onions, garlic and chilli. When it was done, it was really bland so I added salt, pepper, and a load of sweet chilli. It still tasted bland, so I put it in the fridge and left it alone. It's just occurred to me that I've come down with a cold today so probably couldn't taste it properly :o. Hope I haven't ruined it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Did you heavily score the meat before seasoning? Try cayenne, paprika, garlic and chipotle chili with a drizzle of doney next time - I find sweet chili gives off a very bottled taste that jars with slow cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

where did you pick up the brisket?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Salt, people forget to season meat (beef in particular) properly. Seasoning refers to salt only, additional herbs and spices do not constitute seasoning. I can never understand why people will throw a crap load of spices on stuff and forget the salt.
    Salt and brown the meat well before braising or roasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

where did you pick up the brisket?

I've seen it in FXB's Moore street before.

F.

Advertisement