Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incoming Swell...

Options
  • 24-10-2013 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Wondering whether I should go to Clare or Sligo this Sunday to watch some big wave surfing, any recommendations...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

the wind will play a huge factor in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauld81

Yup, dam windy! Get to Mulaghore very early! Offshore and pushing tide, and maybe ya will get parking :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Keep an eye on met eireann, might be pissing rain

Could **** up the visibility

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Looks like Mullaghmore is going to be mental alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

dont think it will get that big. apparently the low pressure is moving so fast it wont have time to build to anything too huge. probably still be big though!

• Advertisement

The swell hasn't taken the northern track, prob best down south/west it will be big enough, 19 second period..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

pauld81 wrote: »
    The swell hasn't taken the northern track, prob best down south/west it will be big enough, 19 second period..

There's a few places in Clare where that swell will wrap around a headland and make waves the wind will be blowing offshore in those spots I won't mention them here due to the fact Ill be publicising well kept secrets, Beal strand in North Kerry could get something....
    Maybe 4 foot plus and clean. ..its flat nearly all year round...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Geomy wrote: »
    There's a few places in Clare where that swell will wrap around a headland and make waves the wind will be blowing offshore in those spots I won't mention them here due to the fact Ill be publicising well kept secrets, Beal strand in North Kerry could get something....
    Maybe 4 foot plus and clean. ..its flat nearly all year round...

Aw come one dude... please!! Even a pm? Swear ill tell no-one. None of my mates even surf...

There was a nice wave today just around 200 yds off Liscannor pier maybe a 10 second surf around 5ft and barrelling, outside was monstrous.
    If I had the bogue, fins and wetsuit in the car I would have hoped in typical isn't it, ah well maybe another time. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭redsky7

10516208964_df4222aa89_c.jpg
    IMG_2932 - Copy by xnjphotox, on Flickr a shot from mullaghmore this morning.

• Advertisement

If you're about, Mullaghmore tomorrow morning (from early) its going to be working well, 15ft ssw swell..

Looks like it'll be busy at mully this year

Looks clean this sunday!!

Very few places will work on a 3ft swell

clean glassy waves on the beach in banna or lahinch is fine for me...

The reefs near Spanishpoint might work but you still need to be careful....

Beautiful, beautiful day surfing inch beach on sunday. shoulder high glass with only 6 of us. Makes you happy to be alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Beautiful, beautiful day surfing inch beach on sunday. shoulder high glass with only 6 of us. Makes you happy to be alive!

I was there a few weeks ago and it was the same only 6 people in the water with 3-4 foot Clean waves, looks really good again this Sunday with a 16 second period!
    Great way to spend a Sunday I think!

Going to be some storm hitting lahinch tomorrow, 30ft swell @ 20 sec's and hitting bang on high tide, can only guess at the damage it will cause

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

rodento wrote: »
    Going to be some storm hitting lahinch tomorrow, 30ft swell @ 20 sec's and hitting bang on high tide, can only guess at the damage it will cause

That's crazy, never seen a period that high since I started surfing. (Granted that's only been 6 years or so.)

• Advertisement

Going to be some epic waves surfed today, all over the country! Hope we get some Irish contenders for the Billabong XXL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Going to be some epic waves surfed today, all over the country! Hope we get some Irish contenders for the Billabong XXL!!

Anyone taking to the water at lahinch or anywhere on the west coast deserves to be shot! High tides, 30 foot waves and high winds

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah I think there's a few out a mullaghmore according to power source's Facebook.

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Anyone taking to the water at lahinch or anywhere on the west coast deserves to be shot! High tides, 30 foot waves and high winds

I heard one guy went out a few days ago, he ended up stuck out there in the mess, eventually he ended up getting tossed over the railings.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I would generally agree that heading out in Clare (or most of the coast) today is unadvisable to the vast majority of people / surfers . . . . . however . . . .

there are places that will be relatively safe to surf today in Clare, depending on experience etc. It is not just one big exposed, west facing headland or beach you know. For example, I have had quite a few really good storm sessions over the past couple of weeks and would consider myself a reasoned and safe surfer. Key thing on a day like today is selecting the right and safe spot, then watching, watching, watching before heading in, also it is not the day for solo sessions. The high tide will now recede for a few hours before another onslought this afternoon / evening.

Most of the big wave lads are already up at Mully, which from early shots this morning, looks like it could be some of the biggest / heaviest sessions ever surfed up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭redsky7

11821328244_a9d5ba3d4a_c.jpg
    the first drop by xnjphotox, on Flickr
    yesterday was mental at mully, the only thing i was disappointed with was that i couldn't stick around to watch for a bit longer!

redsky7 wrote: »
    11821328244_a9d5ba3d4a_c.jpg
    the first drop by xnjphotox, on Flickr
    yesterday was mental at mully, the only thing i was disappointed with was that i couldn't stick around to watch for a bit longer!

I heard the bodyboarders stole the show, has anyone any links to footage of mully ?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Ollie, Pete C and Kurt got some crackers, long wait between the big sets from what I heard.

• Advertisement

Geomy wrote: »
    I heard the bodyboarders stole the show, has anyone any links to footage of mully ?

Shambles McGoldrick was out bodyboarding Mulaghmore, he has a few linked pics on Facebook or try Offshore Watersports.

Advertisement