Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New HDD.

Options
  • 24-10-2013 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I ordered a new HDD off Amazon and it came today in an electrostatic bag, the only thing is I'm wondering would it need some EMI shield?:confused:

Or can I just pop it in in its case?! Sorry about the (probably) stupid question, this sort of carry on is new to me.:o

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Bavib wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I ordered a new HDD off Amazon and it came today in an electrostatic bag, the only thing is I'm wondering would it need some EMI shield?:confused:

Or can I just pop it in in its case?! Sorry about the (probably) stupid question, this sort of carry on is new to me.:o

Thanks.

Just pop it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bavib

Cheers, thats what I was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Technically, yes. Real life, na not really.

I usually just grab something metal before handling static sensitive parts. This will discharge any static in your hands, if there is any.

I'm yet to break anything with static electricity and I've built most of my PCs kneeling on the sitting room carpet! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Technically, yes. Real life, na not really.

I usually just grab something metal before handling static sensitive parts. This will discharge any static in your hands, if there is any.

I'm yet to break anything with static electricity and I've built most of my PCs kneeling on the sitting room carpet! :pac:
    Yeah you dont need to go overboard in precaution but dont forget about it either.
    Saw a guy reboot a pc with the spark he gave it by touching some metal on the front, so its not all overkill.
    I wouldn't take the chance with memory sticks or processors, just dont touch the pins. Had a few too many memory chips fail, can't guarantee who handled them before. I've seem some "experts" take no precaution with very expensive stuff then wonder why they had massive failures down the road. Just dont rub yourself up and down a nylon carpet:eek:, or overhandle and you should be ok:cool:
    Dropping it or shortcircuiting it in the case are a bigger concern.

Advertisement