Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gingivitis in cat

• 24-10-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

My 12 year old cat has been diagnosed with gingivitis. The vet has recommended that we pull her back teeth to treat this, even though the teeth themselves are healthy.

The quote for this was €250 between bloods (€50) and the procedure (the back teeth on one side of her mouth. An extra €100 if they do the other side).

Has anyone any stories of similar experiences? And pricewise, just wondering how it compares.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We get a dental for Cream every second year as he has chronic gingivitis. The first time they removed about 3 teeth, but they were only the small ones from the front at the bottom. After a good cleaning and descaling as well as a course of antibiotics he is usually right as rain for another while, just has a check up while getting his boosters. He had bloods done to test for FIV/FeLV as they can be a cause of chronic gingivitis but thankfully they came up clear. But the dental procedure really does work very well! I'm afraid I can't help price wise as I had a discount as I was on placement in the vets and did the procedure myself - just paid for medications. Just make sure for the first few days after the procedure to feed soft food, and keep up with any painkillers that the vets give you. Cats are amazing at hiding their pain so even if they look fine you should still give it to them! If she's not already fed dry food, after the procedure and recovery you should consider moving onto a mixture of wet and dry. There's also some supplements that you can use to help keep their teeth clean after the dental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Price is just about right, OP and there must be significant periodontal disease to warrant those extractions, which are not as straightforward as the incisors or canine teeth, as the pre-molars and the molars have more than one root.

Advertisement