Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend an android tablet (cheap)

• 24-10-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong thing to do but as Im hopeless with these matters I need a little help. I've been reading through various threads in the forum and cant see anything that comes close to answering my query.

Anyhow Im looking for a cheapish (around €50 - €60) tablet for a teenager for Xmas. Im thinking of buying from one of the Chinese retailers (I know, I know). I was thinking of something like this but I would welcome any and all recommendations, suggestions or comments.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd help but I'm not up to date on cheap tablets or buying from China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

there seems to be a few on ebay look good value for money, but im no expert.

Thanks guys.

Im not sure what happened the link in my first post above ..seems to have been caught by some sort of filter (or maybe a mod) but here's another link if it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Hi muffler,
    ... i have an aniol 7inch tablet. cystal 2 quad core. got it off hongkongeek.com. to the door for 70 euro. im quite happy with it, i use it for browsing, reading ebooks ,have loads of apps on for my 4.5 yr old and she loves it. . a.just avoid capacative touch at all cost. i bought a tablet for 50 euro 18 months ago and its as useful as a record player . i can recommend www.merimobiles.com ive used them for phones and think they are a top crowd they do tablets and they would carry a bigger range than www.hongkongeek.com also bought off www.geekbuying.com. make contact with them via mail/chat and they will recommend then check out youtube reviews / google the name.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Pipo-S1Pro-Android-4-2-OS-Tablet-PC-7-inch-Capacitive-Touch-Screen-1024-600-RK3188-1-6Ghz-1GB-8GB-Dual-Camera-Black-316733.html
    looks good...
    best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

a.just avoid capacative touch at all cost.

No you have that wrong, advoid resistive, get a capacative one.

Thanks very much poitinstill for the comprehensive post and it has certainly given me a few options now.

I am however a little confused with this part of your post as I thought most tablet pc's were like this
    just avoid capacative touch at all cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

OOpps yea typo ... avoid resistive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hi muffler,
    ... i have an aniol 7inch tablet. cystal 2 quad core. got it off hongkongeek.com. to the door for 70 euro. im quite happy with it, i use it for browsing, reading ebooks ,have loads of apps on for my 4.5 yr old and she loves it. . a.just avoid capacative touch at all cost. i bought a tablet for 50 euro 18 months ago and its as useful as a record player . i can recommend www.merimobiles.com ive used them for phones and think they are a top crowd they do tablets and they would carry a bigger range than www.hongkongeek.com also bought off www.geekbuying.com. make contact with them via mail/chat and they will recommend then check out youtube reviews / google the name.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Pipo-S1Pro-Android-4-2-OS-Tablet-PC-7-inch-Capacitive-Touch-Screen-1024-600-RK3188-1-6Ghz-1GB-8GB-Dual-Camera-Black-316733.html
    looks good...
    best of luck

Thanks for that link
    I've just bought an Ainol AX1 from this link. It cost me 105 euros (plus whatever the customs will charge)
    This is a really good deal for a decent spec tablet that has 3G built in

I was on the lookout for one of these for someone who wants to call her daughter in the UK with Skype but doesn't have a broadband connection.
    For 20 quid a month she'll hopefully be able to use this with a 3 payg sim card with all you can eat data

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

They have a link on hongkonggeek saying No Custom Charges? Is this correct or a scam?
    They state that if you are charged at customs they will refund the money via paypal.
    I was looking at this tablet.
    http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/google-android-tablets/3720-785-ainol-novo8-mini-atm7021a-dual-core-14ghz-android-41-512mb-hdmi-1gb.html
    Any opinions on it? I have heard of Ainol before so that's why I would be more inclined to go for it.

• Advertisement

Casey78 wrote: »
    They have a link on hongkonggeek saying No Custom Charges? Is this correct or a scam?
    They state that if you are charged at customs they will refund the money via paypal.
    I have read in a couple of other threads here in the past that they do indeed look after the duty if you're unfortunate enough to be caught.

I was looking at this tablet.
    http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/google-android-tablets/3720-785-ainol-novo8-mini-atm7021a-dual-core-14ghz-android-41-512mb-hdmi-1gb.html
    Any opinions on it? I have heard of Ainol before so that's why I would be more inclined to go for it.
    As stated earlier I know very little about these things but the one thing that caught my eye was the internal memory which is only 1Gb. Most android tablets (cheaper models) would have at least 4Gb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

muffler wrote: »
    I have read in a couple of other threads here in the past that they do indeed look after the duty if you're unfortunate enough to be caught.

As stated earlier I know very little about these things but the one thing that caught my eye was the internal memory which is only 1Gb. Most android tablets (cheaper models) would have at least 4Gb.

Thanks muffler.
    Seeing as they do re pay the duty I may spend a little extra and I found this one which is quad core and 8gb internal memory
    http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/google-android-tablets/3515-79-chuwi-v88hd-rk3188-quad-core-18ghz-android-42-wifi-1gb-ddr3-8gb.html

Thanks muffler.
    Seeing as they do re pay the duty I may spend a little extra and I found this one which is quad core and 8gb internal memory
    http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/google-android-tablets/3515-79-chuwi-v88hd-rk3188-quad-core-18ghz-android-42-wifi-1gb-ddr3-8gb.html
    From my limited knowledge of these things that model looks very good to me.

One of the downsides in buying from the Chinese sites is that they send a 2 pin adapter/charger so you need to either buy a 3 pin charger or look for an old mobile phone charger with the right connection - lots of them about and you might even pick one up in a €2 store.

I spent ages trawling through various sites and reading feedback from people who bought various android tablets in an attempt to figure out what to look out for. The minimum specs I was looking for were:

Processor: 1.2Ghz dual core or better
    RAM: 1 Gb
    Built in memory: 4 Gb
    Battery: at least 3000mAh
    Screen: Capacitive

Things like built in cameras, ebook reader, screen resolution etc didnt really bother me and are just an added bonus.

Advertisement