Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus fares go up again - too much?

• 24-10-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Revised-cash-leap-and-pre-paid-fares-from-December-1st-2013/

From December 1st Dublin Bus will increase their fares (As they do every year, urgh) But is it just getting too much?

- An adult full-stage bus fare currently costs €2.80... which become €3.05
    - €1.65 fare now becomes €1.80
    - a 5 day rambler will now become €27.50
    ... etc

Greedy robbing bastards in my opinion.

Dublin Bus getting too greedy? 157 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 157 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I'm willing to pay €5 per journey, regardless of distance, and until this amount is passed I'm not willing to protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Adult full stage is 2:80? That isn't the maximum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bus Eireann average wage: €50,623
    Irish Rail average wage: €53,108
    Dublin Bus average wage: €52,656

Aircoach €37.713
    Lothian ( Scotland): €42,765
    First Manchester: €30,470

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

They're going to price themselves out of some markets. The 41 bus, which serves a community of around 40,000 people in Swords is now going to be €3.05. The Swords Express is a private service with much more comfortable buses and a quicker, more direct route to the City Centre through the port tunnel costs €4 at peak times and €3 at all other times. Why would anyone from Swords use the 41 now? These rises could pave the way for a lot more private services to spring up using the Swords Express model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Revised-cash-leap-and-pre-paid-fares-from-December-1st-2013/

From December 1st Dublin Bus will increase their fares (As they do every year, urgh) But is it just getting too much?

- An adult full-stage bus fare currently costs €2.80... which become €3.05
    - €1.65 fare now becomes €1.80
    - a 5 day rambler will now become €27.50
    ... etc

Greedy robbing bastards in my opinion.

Greed has absolutely nothing to do with this fare increase. The company is in dire straits (deficit of over 50 million) and the Government will continue to cut its subsidy annually. I believe this company will go bust within the next five years, it's quite clearly badly managed and the routes will be sold out to private companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I wouldn't even call it greed. Its just unionism gone wrong.

I don't use them, its cheaper to drive really as I have the car anyway and I don't have to put up with scummers and junkies in the back seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm willing to pay €5 per journey, regardless of distance, and until this amount is passed I'm not willing to protest.

Give dublin bus a while they'll be at €6 per journey :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Calvin and Hobbes

3euro for 15 minutes on the bus is ridiculous. Public Transport in Dublin is an absolute joke. Is much easier just to have a car in dublin

Living in Prague here, all transport for 3 months is 30euro, which is trains, buses, trams and metro. Can go anywhere in the city in hour, rush hour or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

time to start cycling so.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Montroseee wrote: »
    Greed has absolutely nothing to do with this fare increase. The company is in dire straits (deficit of over 50 million) and the Government will continue to cut its subsidy annually. I believe this company will go bust within the next five years, it's quite clearly badly managed and the routes will be sold out to private companies.

Hear hear. How you manage to go in the red when you have a monopoly is beyond me. And yet here we are.

They are clearly desperate for as many people as possible to buy leap cards to dig them out of a hole. Nevermind the fact that many people may not need one. Where's the public service in that :mad:? What about reasonably priced transport in order to keep the place (EDIT: i.e the economy) ticking?

They are not doing their job.

• Advertisement

2.10 up to 2.15 with the leap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

moved from After Hours

danniemcq wrote: »
    moved from After Hours

Urgh... why?
    It's not like i am asking "what bus do i get from crumlin to tallaght?" - After hours is a collection of topics. I mean it is in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

moved from After Hours

There was no need to move it, all forms of public transport are increasing their prices so it's not just a Dublin issue. Thread title may need a slight change.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

This is ridiculous, over 6 euro for me to go into town and come back, basically no reason to use the bus over the luas, last year I believe a day pass which allowed you as much travel on Dublin Bus as you'd like was about 6.50, now it's 40 cent less for two trips, hell, I had a job offer over the other side of the city, one of the main reasons I didn't take it was the fact I'd be paying over a tenner in bus fare, so more than an hours wage each day, while I understand Dublin Bus need to make a profit, they could simply cut back on some bus routes, for instance I believe there's a 27 bus every 10 minutes or so, which is not needed at all, I even see two 27s come at the same time quite often, and one of them is left basically empty, or they could even replace some of the buses which aren't being used with routes that would be used, for instance, the 76a between Tallaght and Blanchardstown has something like 3 buses a day in each direction, one being extremely early, another being around 4/5 and the last being around 10, so none are usable to go shopping or anything, replacing some of the 27s with some 76as would be a very wise decision in my opinion, as I feel a bus route between Tallaght and Blanchardstown would be quite profitable.
    But, as people can see time and time again, Dublin Bus are not a great company and the only way they manage to stay afloat is increasing the fares which people have to pay due to the lack of any other public transport other than the luas and dart which go to very limited locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Jesus, a Travel 90 ticket is now €27.50! When they first came out, around ten years ago (in handy little books of five), they were only €14. Surely they should be encouraging people to use prepaid tickets, thus cutting down on time (and fuel) wasted at bus stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Urgh... why?
    It's not like i am asking "what bus do i get from crumlin to tallaght?" - After hours is a collection of topics. I mean it is in the news.
    Montroseee wrote: »
    There was no need to move it, all forms of public transport are increasing their prices so it's not just a Dublin issue. Thread title may need a slight change.

thread was quite Dublin specific in fact every post was about Dublin bus and not one mention in either OP or any follow ups mentioned any of the national routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Have none of you heard of the Leap Card? Absolutely no reason to be using cash as it means you have to have coins on you and willing to pay more. Anyone who uses public transport more than once or twice in a year should not be using cash, if they are they're foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Have none of you heard of the Leap Card? Absolutely no reason to be using cash as it means you have to have coins on you and willing to pay more. Anyone who uses public transport more than once or twice in a year should not be using cash, if they are they're foolish.

Tried to buy one today online in advance of the hikes. No luck, their payment facility is down.

For multiple trips a travel90 is still preferable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

bluewolf wrote: »
    For multiple trips a travel90 is still preferable

For DART as well.

I get a 7 day dart ticket for 23.50 a week.

There is no such Leap facility - getting 10 Leap returns (or 20 Leap singles) would be more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Varadakar and his poodles an the NTA are deliberately letting fares on BB and BE go up in order to create pressure for "competition."

BTW, anyone know what the 2.15 fare will now be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

No way should they be raising LEAP fares,if anything they should be lowering them to get more users on board.

So counterproductive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I use the 30-day Rambler for the days I don't cycle in - €4.16 (soon to be €4.58 grrrr!) for a day's bus use, much better value than cash fares and have the added advantage (even over the Leap card) of not having to interact with the driver, just go up the right hand side and swipe the validator). No fumbling around for change, or buying something I don't need (i.e. a bar or pack of crisps :)) at an extortionate price to break a note. Yes, it's expensive (€125 going to €137.50) but well worth it to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I get the taxsaver monthly ticket.
    Used to cost €98, then upped to €112, now upped to €123.
    I've stopped thanking bus drivers since their last 3 day strike.

I imagine 5% of the rise is from the subsidy cut and the other 5% is to pay for the unions inflexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Leap card worked out more expensive than a 3 month flexi ticket for me on the luas. Don't know why they call the 5 euro fee for the leap card a "deposit". If i give it back do i get my 5 euro?

I wouldn't mind if we were getting a better service. It's terrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved from Dublin City to Commuting & Transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I gave up getting the dart to Lansdowne road station in 2009. It was too expensive too slow and too unreliable, I bought a brand new bike for €400,with the fares I saved it had paid for itself in about 10 weeks.

thread was quite Dublin specific in fact every post was about Dublin bus and not one mention in either OP or any follow ups mentioned any of the national routes.

Wouldnt the same apply to a news story about a man getting beaten up dublin? but that wouldnt get moved ... but then ....
    January wrote: »
    Moved from Dublin City to Commuting & Transport

.... :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Mods be weird. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This is ridiculous, over 6 euro for me to go into town and come back, basically no reason to use the bus over the luas, last year I believe a day pass which allowed you as much travel on Dublin Bus as you'd like was about 6.50, now it's 40 cent less for two trips, hell, I had a job offer over the other side of the city, one of the main reasons I didn't take it was the fact I'd be paying over a tenner in bus fare, so more than an hours wage each day, while I understand Dublin Bus need to make a profit, they could simply cut back on some bus routes, for instance I believe there's a 27 bus every 10 minutes or so, which is not needed at all, I even see two 27s come at the same time quite often, and one of them is left basically empty, or they could even replace some of the buses which aren't being used with routes that would be used, for instance, the 76a between Tallaght and Blanchardstown has something like 3 buses a day in each direction, one being extremely early, another being around 4/5 and the last being around 10, so none are usable to go shopping or anything, replacing some of the 27s with some 76as would be a very wise decision in my opinion, as I feel a bus route between Tallaght and Blanchardstown would be quite profitable.
    But, as people can see time and time again, Dublin Bus are not a great company and the only way they manage to stay afloat is increasing the fares which people have to pay due to the lack of any other public transport other than the luas and dart which go to very limited locations.

That's a stupid reason to turn down a job. You could have got a prepay ticket. I get 4 buses a day, and I spend €125 for a 30-day (non-consecutive) ticket, which gives you unlimited travel on Dublin bus for €4.16 a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You seem to be obsessed with paying cash for your fares.

Why have you not examined the cheaper options?
    • LEAP Card for occasional use
    • Prepaid period passes for regular use
    • Taxsaver scheme if your employer participates - greatly reduces cost of the ticket

Varadakar and his poodles an the NTA are deliberately letting fares on BB and BE go up in order to create pressure for "competition."

BTW, anyone know what the 2.15 fare will now be?

I think it is more a case that the government are cutting expenditure (reducing the subsidies) and moving more of the burden onto the companies and the end user.

Bear in mind that there are no longer any cuts in services, yet the government is once again reducing the PSO subsidy.

The €2.15 cash fare will increase to €2.35.
    The equivalent LEAP fare will increase from €1.90 to €1.95

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They're going to price themselves out of some markets. The 41 bus, which serves a community of around 40,000 people in Swords is now going to be €3.05. The Swords Express is a private service with much more comfortable buses and a quicker, more direct route to the City Centre through the port tunnel costs €4 at peak times and €3 at all other times. Why would anyone from Swords use the 41 now? These rises could pave the way for a lot more private services to spring up using the Swords Express model.

Agreed, I drive mostly as I don't have a fixed office location I work in, but when I do take the bus, it's always the Swords Express now

EyeSight wrote: »
    Leap card worked out more expensive than a 3 month flexi ticket for me on the luas. Don't know why they call the 5 euro fee for the leap card a "deposit". If i give it back do i get my 5 euro?

I wouldn't mind if we were getting a better service. It's terrible!

Yes you do get your deposit back.

Stheno wrote: »
    Agreed, I drive mostly as I don't have a fixed office location I work in, but when I do take the bus, it's always the Swords Express now

First of all- why would anyone continue to pay cash fares?

The LEAP fare on Dublin Bus will be €2.50. That's a saving of €0.55 per trip!

Secondly, Swords Express cash fares are also increasing from November 1.

Cash fare will be €4.20 peak and €3.20 off-peak.
    LEAP fares will remain at €4 peak and €3 off-peak.

People have got to get into the mentality of using a LEAP card and not paying cash.

If you're travelling regularly then the full range of prepaid tickets offer even better discounts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lxflyer wrote: »

People have got to get into the mentality of using a LEAP card and not paying cash.

If you're travelling regularly then the full range of prepaid tickets offer even better discounts.

Swords Express take leap, the service is quicker, and the busses are more comfortable. I'd take a bus maybe once every couple of months so it suits me not to bother with any prepaid ticket as I don't get the value. Haven't a leap card as I haven't been using busses for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Yes you do get your deposit back.

how? the man in the shop i got mine said i couldn't

EyeSight wrote: »
    how? the man in the shop i got mine said i couldn't

From www.leapcard.ie:
    I have an adult or child Leap Card that is not
    personalised and I want a replacement or a refund. What do I do?

You can apply for a replacement or a refund by logging in to your online account. Click
    here to log in.

If you do not have an online account you should register the card that you
    want refunded or replaced. Then log in to your online account to make your
    request.

Please note, refunds can only be transferred to Irish bank accounts. If you
    are living outside the Republic of Ireland and do not have an Irish bank
    account, click here to download a paper refund
    form.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm quite happy to see a decent increase in the difference between Leap and cash fares.

I'm quite happy to see a decent increase in the difference between Leap and cash fares.

That is entirely intentional.

The NTA have said that they wish to have a gap of 20% between the cash and LEAP fares.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Lots about leap cards, but again they're hitting regular commuters who use prepaid tickets. Not everyone wants to use leap cards which it seems DB are obsessed with. By all means push cash fares up to remove time wasting etc but why keep hitting those with prepaid tickets.

2 years ago, I think my 30 day student ticket was €80. Now going to be €100. 25% increase within 2 years?

fta93 wrote: »
    Lots about leap cards, but again they're hitting regular commuters who use prepaid tickets. Not everyone wants to use leap cards which it seems DB are obsessed with. By all means push cash fares up to remove time wasting etc but why keep hitting those with prepaid tickets.

2 years ago, I think my 30 day student ticket was €80. Now going to be €100. 25% increase within 2 years?

Student Rambler tickets are being abolished and migrated onto Leap, so you'll have to start using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paulieb

People have no problem paying more for a Starbucks coffee, if you look at it in that light its not too expensive

Student Rambler tickets are being abolished and migrated onto Leap, so you'll have to start using it.

All he/she will be doing is using the same product but loading it on LEAP - he/she has a valid point - the prepaid tickets have skyrocketed in price and those loyal customers are being milked at each fare increase.

Most people don't have 10+ Starbucks coffees per week.

All he/she will be doing is using the same product but loading it on LEAP - he/she has a valid point - the prepaid tickets have skyrocketed in price and those loyal customers are being milked at each fare increase.

I'm a regular user of prepaid tickets, and I've experience the same increases. I'm just pointing out that LEAP card use is fairly inevitable at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

folan wrote: »
    time to start cycling so.

Should do, I've saved about 1000 euro this year, started cycling in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

No increases should be allowed until they sort out their costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Totally agree with you on the LEAP card thing if you have a regular bus journey. Mine are rarely something I plan massively in advance for as I don't bus it into work, but I get that more people should be using them.

However for this particular bus route, they'll lose most of their casual traffic. The Swords Express has been around 10 years and this is the first increase they are making. In the same timeframe, the Dublin Bus fare has probably increased 40-50% for a journey that takes 60 minutes average, whereas with the Swords Express it takes around 35 minutes. Dublin Bus had one advantage realtive to the Swords Express for city centre commuters in that it was substantially cheaper for a long time. Once it goes over €3 for a casual fare, it no longer has that benefit.

If it wasn't for the Luas, I'd say the same would be happening on the Southside with regards to private bus services.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paulieb

Most people don't have 10+ Starbucks coffees per week.

If you use the bus 10+ times per week, get a rambler ticket.
    If you continually pay more than you need to thats you're problem. You don't have to pay these new fares, those who do are paying cash when they could use leap card and save money. They will get no sympathy from anyone who used leap card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement