Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi card upgrade

Options
  • 24-10-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've just tried to install my new wifi card I bought an Intel Centrino Ultimate N 6300 for my Dell XPS 1647 laptop and after installing and powering up it is not getting recognised, I think it may not be compatible but I read nothing when buyin, I thought they where all universal.

Any help would be grateful

Reinstalled old card.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Bundy89 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've just tried to install my new wifi card I bought an Intel Centrino Ultimate N 6300 for my Dell XPS 1647 laptop and after installing and powering up it is not getting recognised, I think it may not be compatible but I read nothing when buyin, I thought they where all universal.

Any help would be grateful

Reinstalled old card.

Those Wifi cards aren't universal unfortunately. You may be able to get a N Wifi card which supports your Dell but you'll have to check the CPU/mobo configurations will not be an issue. Typically you would only expect the original model to work, however. I havn't heard of the possibility to upgrade them, but it may well be possible

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Should be compatible, Dell is selling the N 6300 as an accessory and your XPS 1647 is listed under compatible systems.

Did you have wired network access when you installed it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bundy89

Torqay wrote: »
    Should be compatible, Dell is selling the N 6300 as an accessory and your XPS 1647 is listed under compatible systems.

Torquy thats actually the wrong card when you open the pic its a 6205, Stupid Dell. The card I have has 3 clips for the antenna

Do I need software pre installed maybe..?

Torquy thats actually the wrong card when you open the pic its a 6205, Stupid Dell. The card I have has 3 clips for the antenna

Do I need software pre installed maybe..?

You need a driver. Download it in advance or else make sure you have a wired network connected when you replace the card.

• Advertisement

More likely the wrong picture, the article is the N 6300.

Did you check the device manager? Nothing under Other Devices?

More likely the wrong picture, the article is the N 6300.

Did you check the device manager? Nothing under Other Devices?

Yeah I did nothing shown in device manager, when I re-install the old one it showns up in devive manager straight away.

Maybe the new card is shot. Get it replaced.

Maybe the new card is shot. Get it replaced.

Yeah I'm thinking this as well, I though its plug it in power up and its automatically the laptop picks it up. I'll get back on to those muppets on Amazon I bought it off.

Cheers anyway Torqay

I though its plug it in power up and its automatically the laptop picks it up.

That's what normally happens if you add a new device to a computer... it might prompt for drivers.

• Advertisement

Did you have wired network access when you installed it? :pac:

This is a good point, maybe it needs internet access to get the correct drivers once powered up.

If not I found this link to pre install a driver for it, though it dosen't have my laptop in the compatibility list. Will try tomorrow.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=R9VY7

The driver doesnt need to be preinstalled, once you have the download on your hard-drive. Or a working network connection to automatically fetch the driver.

But as Torqay says, it should at least prompt for a driver or show a ! in device manager so yeah, the card could be bad also. Check its not an engineering sample (marked ES), I got sold a few of those by some scammer and they were all dodgy.

Right Lads,

I got it working, re-installed it, had the drivers download to HD, installed them went through the motions, and then enabled it and clicked my wifi and typed in password, and all good now. So drivers needed to be pre-installed in this case, plus its shown up in device manager now.

Anyway thanks for all your info. :)

and then enabled it

:confused:

Glad you got it working.

:confused:

Glad you got it working.

Torqay what I meant by enabling it was after I downloaded the Intel driver software and installing it, I went to program files where there was an Intel program opened it and clicked enable device. Then a wifi icon appeared in task bar so I could connect.

Advertisement