Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animal Cruelty

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Its not a fact. Has anyone ever proven other animals do not feel emotions?

Has anyone proven they do ? and I'm not trying to deliberately annoy people as i said hurting animals is wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Has anyone proven they do ?

No. Thats why I said its a belief. Your opinion is also a belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

No. Thats why I said its a belief. Your opinion is also a belief.

No my opinion is based on logic People saying animals have Human Emotions is a belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Has anyone proven they do ? and I'm not trying to deliberately annoy people as i said hurting animals is wrong

Is animal hierarchy not controlled by fear?

Following the leader of the heard into danger is Emotion ? surly that shows it has not fear.

No my opinion is based on logic People saying animals have Human Emotions is a belief.

Sorry thats not how it works. Show me proof that your opinion has been proven as fact, otherwise its just your belief based on how you see the world.

And to reiterate, I never said animals have "human" emotion.

Logic would dictate that animals feel fear as a method of self preservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Fear is a universal emotion not just a "human" emotion. If a person repeatedly beats an animal, that animal will cower out of FEAR at getting hit again. I've no idea why you think you are stating a fact that animals have no emotion - that is just ridiculous.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Is animal hierarchy not controlled by fear?

Instinct Of been killed/consumed and not being able to pass on DNA

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Fear is a universal emotion not just a "human" emotion. If a person repeatedly beats an animal, that animal will cower out of FEAR at getting hit again. I've no idea why you think you are stating a fact that animals have no emotion - that is just ridiculous.

Pain instinct Pain is a sign of injury this could lead to not being able to flee a predator and be consumed and unable to pass on DNA.

Anyway I'm out were going around in circles

Instinct Of been killed/consumed and not being able to pass on DNA

AKA fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Pain instinct Pain is a sign of injury this could lead to not being able to flee a predator and be consumed and unable to pass on DNA.

Anyway I'm out were going around in circles

So then it can be argued humans don't have emotions either, just instinct? You're leaving cos you have no fact to back up your fiction?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Honestly dont know what sort of screw is lose in people who can do stuff like this. Is it just one generation of degenerates spawning another?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Nope simply programed to protect it's DNA and pass it on.

Would that not imply that had the animal already procreated that it would not feel fear, or have any sense of survival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

No people are saying that animals have emotions, you are the only one saying that emotions are solely the reserve of humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There's always one. This one didn't last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Psychopaths may not feel empathy, but they still know the difference between right and wrong. There's no rehabilitating these people, they need to be banned from living with any sort of animal, and that's only once they've completed a suitable sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭TheHighest92

where did this take place? the people should be tortured on live television

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have said it before and I will say it again. We as a race need to start taking animal abuse much more seriously, it shows a serious lack of empathy and often a sadistic streak. If someone will push a donkey off a cliff, out a firework in a dogs mouth, throw a cat on a bonfire for fun then they have no regard for the feelings and pain that that another living being feels and they are a danger to their fellow humans too. Very often targeting vulnerable people, the elderly, kids, women on their own, because they started out targeting some of the most vulnerable you can get, beings that have no voice, they cannot speak up for themselves. They suffer in silence.

It's a well known fact that many serial killers start out by torturing and killing animals, in my experience of those that I have met that are cruel to animals are not nice people, they are often dangerous people. We need to start taking it more seriously as it is a warning sign for things to come and people who do this kind of thing need to be punished and monitored closely.

There was a story earlier this week about a bunch of kids in an estate in Dublin who killed a kitten with black cat bangers, when the kittens mother tried to come to its rescue they killed her in the same manner, one parent blamed those selling the fireworks and seemed to take none of the responsibility on herself despite the fact that these were not teens but kids as young as 8. Please even if you are not an animal lover take the time to look out for animals, especially at this time of year, they are often the victims of horrific crimes this time of year and they need people to look out for them, bring them home and ring a rescue for help.

To say that animals do not have emotions is quite frankly a load of ****e, they feel fear, maybe not in the same way we do, but still very real and debilitating fear. They feel pain. I don't think we give them enough credit, we are learning more and more about how our pets feel as more is done. I have seen animals completely broken from what humans have done to them, you can see it in the way they move, the fear and literal pain in their eyes. To say that they don't feel emotion is short sighted and quite frankly a bit stupid, I know when my pets are sad, I know when they are happy, playful, I know when they are nervous or fearful, even more interestingly they know what we are feeling, they are so sensitive to our emotions, how can you explain that if they don't feel emotions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Animals feel a certain degree of emotion. They are not as highly developed as humans and they do not act through intention. However, fear and the like are felt by animals. Perhaps not smaller animals such as worms but definitely by large animals such as a donkey.
    As they are much more simple than ours, animals emotions are often a lot stronger and fear is often a learning factor. With horses, there's this thing called a fear response which is much stronger and lasts much longer than anything else. An action learned through fear can't be reversed. Animals do feel fear and other basic emotions.
    Source: animal scientist, I studied this stuff

sup_dude wrote: »
    Animals feel a certain degree of emotion. They are not as highly developed as humans and they do not act through intention. However, fear and the like are felt by animals. Perhaps not smaller animals such as worms but definitely by large animals such as a donkey.
    As they are much more simple than ours, animals emotions are often a lot stronger and fear is often a learning factor. With horses, there's this thing called a fear response which is much stronger and lasts much longer than anything else. An action learned through fear can't be reversed. Animals do feel fear and other basic emotions.
    Source: animal scientist, I
    studied this stuff

Good man.

A studier.

See.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

My first dog had been abused by the previous owners. It was used purely for breeding and had been taken from them. I don't know exactly what happened to it but it was terrified of people when we got her. After a while she became used to use but only us. Eventually it became ok with everyone but it was a very quiet dog for all of its life.

Also around Halloween my dog becomes terrified of the fireworks going off.
    There emotions won't be as complex obviously as human emotions but I thought it was taken for granted that animals do feel emotion. Even my cat appears to have different moods. And it is one cold ass cat :)

There emotions won't be as complex obviously as human emotions but I thought it was taken for granted that animals do feel emotion. Even my cat appears to have different moods. And it is one cold ass cat :)

I agree, anyone that has spent any time interacting with an animal can see they are not emotionless automatons. We are all animals, so we must all be subject to the same reactions and processes. Its just short sighted arrogance to think only us 'superior humans' can actually feel anything on an emotional level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I am pie wrote: »
    Sociopaths, dont feel guilt. They have a mental illness and should be isolated from society and treated.
    Really, the justice system should be about rehabilitation... Though, there is the question in some cases of whether that is a realistic goal., e.g sociopaths.
    Hurting animals is wrong but what i don't understand is why people transfer human emotions to something that is not human they don't have our emotions.
    If you were to look the subject up, you would see a lot of material. Issue is, the material would be pointing in almost the exact opposite direction. I say almost the exact opposite because it would be emotion, not human emotion. An animal that isn't human by definition couldn't have human emotion. It's only two words, it should be pretty clear by definition why this would be so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Really, the justice system should be about rehabilitation... Though, there is the question in some cases of whether that is a realistic goal., e.g sociopaths.

If you were to look the subject up, you would see a lot of material. Issue is, the material would be pointing in almost the exact opposite direction. I say almost the exact opposite because it would be emotion, not human emotion. An animal that isn't human by definition couldn't have human emotion. It's only two words, it should be pretty clear by definition why this would be so.

So are you saying that emotion is species specific? One donkey can understand another donkey's emotion but not the asses in OP post :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Animals absolutely without a doubt are capable of emotion, and are super smart, a lot smarter than they're given credit for too.

I believe not only are they capable of having emotion themselves, but I think to a certain extent, they can tell if you're not yourself too.

I grew up on a farm, and up until July I had a beautiful cow, that was a pet for the 14 years that I had her. Not only did she show different emotions, (loss, fear, jealousy, lonesome) I felt she knew when I was sad too. One occasion that springs to mind was last may, I was very sick, down on my hands and knees being sick, kind of sick, and sat into her manger, in front of her head, where she was chained. I lay my head into her, and what did she do? She lifted her big huge head, and laid her chin on top of my head, and despite her head obviously being heavy, I only felt a minimal amount of pressure, so she obviously was being gentle. It wasnt something she would have done everytime I sat there either, it was almost like she knew I needed comforting.

They're most definitely not stupid. And I'd rather be surrounded by animals than people. People are the stupid dangerous ones to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

How is this person Darkpagandeath so sure animals don't have emotions?
    That is a very antiquated view to have, and probably makes it easier to be cruel to animals.

There are plenty of examples of animals showing empathy to both their own species and to humans.
    There are plenty of examples of animals showing fear, sadness, happiness, sorrow, joy and the whole range of emotions.
    Emotions are a neurological response to a situation, if it can develop in the brain of a primate, it can develop in the brain of any species.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Sleevoo

Hurting animals is wrong but what i don't understand is why people transfer human emotions to something that is not human they don't have our emotions.

I bet Hitler said similar crap to justify killing jews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

My two year old cat was hit and killed by a car 8 days ago. My six year old cat isn't eating, is going to all little cats hang outs and meowing, and is generally acting very out of sorts.
    To me that indicates that she misses her- or to strip it down to the most basic she's at least aware that she's missing and is actively looking for her.

Animals have no emotions my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Rho b wrote: »
    So are you saying that emotion is species specific? One donkey can understand another donkey's emotion but not the asses in OP post :confused:
    You are talking about empathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Hi all I'm a farmer and work with cows and cattle every day.

Animals are a lot smarter than you think and they are capable of fealing fear.

People who are cruel to animals are the ones who's mental ability we should be calling into question not the donkey TBH.

Advertisement