Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband ?? Read my story

• 24-10-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

We have been Eircom customers for a while now. Had the dual package of phone and broadband. It was ok but the kids started getting older etc, but in April things started going downhill. We couldn't enjoy movies, kids couldnt play online games without experiencing terrible freezing and lagging. Even watching a simple YouTube clip was a disaster.

We contacted Eircom, advised the splitter only house broadband and phone. Engineers came out twice, nothing improved. Eircom suggested we get a new type modem, that it would help. That was a month ago, guess what no improvement. Now we have looked to change providers, and we are still in contract. We are being charged for a new modem that we didn't suggest. The contract we entered was for a service which transpires is not fit for purpose.

Now they want to charge us all kinds of penalties and extras which equates to the same price we would pay if we stay till the end of contract in February. We have spent hours upon hours trying to resolve this on the phone to no avail.

I feel if they want to lock us in then I will highlight what I am paying for. Currently it's 1.46mb with nothing using the broadband except this iPhone

Imagine if you purchased a car and was told that it could reach 70 mph but the best you seem to get is 15 to 20 mph.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I feel for you having been in your position once but it sounds like congestion is your problem and switching to another DSL provider who still uses eircom lines won't fix that. Are you in a fibre enabled area from either eircom or UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Charprr

ElNino wrote: »
    I feel for you having been in your position once but it sounds like congestion is your problem and switching to another DSL provider who still uses eircom lines won't fix that. Are you in a fibre enabled area from either eircom or UPC?

We were told earlier that Eircom fibre would be in our area in September now we are told maybe March next year. May move to UPC fibre, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Are you on the map for fiber http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/?
    I was in the same situation. Network congestion has made DSL useless at peak hours, 380+ms. I'm now on Fixed wireless (Nova Broadband 20Mb) and still under contract with eircom until February. I can't wait to tell Eircom were to go when my contracts ends and the call comes to try and get me locked into another 12 month contract.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are you line stats?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Charprr wrote: »
    We were told earlier that Eircom fibre would be in our area in September now we are told maybe March next year. May move to UPC fibre, I think.
    If you can get UPC then get it.

Simple physics. Optical, vs coax vs legacy twisted pair

Fibre to the home > cable
    fibre to the cabinet (VDSL) > ADSL2 , but only if you are within 1Km of cabinet
    ADSL2>ADSL , but only if you are within 3Km of exchange

Prices start from €30 and you could try to get €7 off that if you don't want unlimited. Sales person may not know about this so be patient / persistent
    http://www.upc.ie/about_us/announcements/
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPCBasicsRangeLaunch.pdf

ESB / Vodafone rollout next year is interesting, but that's next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

fibre to the cabinet (VDSL) > ADSL2 , but only if you are within 1Km of

Is it any good at 1.6KM?

dub45 wrote: »
    What are you line stats?

What's the best thing to measure that? Pardon my ignorance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is it any good at 1.6KM?
    It's pretty much a last mile technology.

Also are you 1.6Km from the cabinet as the crow flies because it could be a lot more on the ground.

From http://www.nextgenerationinfrastructures.eu/download.php?field=document&itemID=449440

Page 5 gives this slightly confusing table, that stops at 1Km

Line Lenth
    (Max) DS RA Mbps US RA Mbps
    300m 70M 20M
    300m 60M 20M
    500m 50M 20M
    600m 50M 15M
    750m 40M 10M
    850m 30M 8M
    1000m 25M 7M
    1000m 18M 5M

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

If it was me, I'd be saying I'm not paying for a service I'm not getting.
    "Fix it (at no cost to me) or I'll be getting onto Joe Duffy about it".
    Amazing how the threat of a bit of bad publicity will move them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 the-geezer

Hi Uncle_Sam ,
    Does Nova Broadband just cover the Cork area ? Am looking to get better b/band coverage than from my own provider .

• Advertisement

As one of my kids put it, Dad whatever broadband you get it can't be any worse than Failcom

This beggars belief signed up with UPC for broadband and telephone. Was installed at approx 6pm yesterday. It lasted until 10.30pm when there was a major outage apparently in the area. It came back this morning and lasted until 7pm and now no device in the house can connect to the broadband. Ran so called customer technical support , performed the usual TOTO, no joy all the lights are showing but still nothing connecting. The worst it will be Monday afternoon before anyone can get out. It's only actually been 23 hours ive been with UPC!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

This beggars belief signed up with UPC for broadband and telephone. Was installed at approx 6pm yesterday. It lasted until 10.30pm when there was a major outage apparently in the area. It came back this morning and lasted until 7pm and now no device in the house can connect to the broadband. Ran so called customer technical support , performed the usual TOTO, no joy all the lights are showing but still nothing connecting. The worst it will be Monday afternoon before anyone can get out. It's only actually been 23 hours ive been with UPC!!!
    probably a wireless issue. connect to modem with ethernet cable and change the wireless channel to 1 or 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

lol sorry to hear that mate... did u get a horizon box? i heard they were sh!te

i cant get upc... feckers wont run a line from the alley way behind my house into my place. i even offered to pay for a tech to come do it.

Advertisement