Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Cutra Race 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Usually there is a discount code circulated through local triathlon clubs in the lead up to the event.

By all accounts its a very well run and organised race and with the progression though to full distance in one of the UK events, its obviously growing year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

http://www.castletriathlonseries.co.uk/en-ie/lough-cutra-race/

Looks like a nice place but pricing seems OTT? HIM is €150, reckon people will cough up?

Yeah I'm looking for a HIM around then but at that price Cutra is too much. TriAthy and TriAnMhi are both in the €80 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

They should have rounded it up to 200euro and brought in the IM boys. Did mid dist there last year (800m, 40k, 8k) while well organised it was expensive with even with discount, and no tshirt or anything nice. Money flies back to uk as well. Great location though

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm looking for a HIM around then but at that price Cutra is too much. TriAthy and TriAnMhi are both in the €80 range.

Tri an Mhi was a couple of weeks prior to Lough Cultra this year so that could be an option. With all races at that time of year you are playing chicken with the weather and shortened swims. (Lots of previous threads if you want to search them out)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Tri an Mhi was a couple of weeks prior to Lough Cultra this year so that could be an option. With all races at that time of year you are playing chicken with the weather and shortened swims. (Lots of previous threads if you want to search them out)
    YEah thanks I read about all that this year. I've a wedding the week of Tri an Mhi so will probably end up at TriAthy Double Olympic this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I'm considering this as an attempt at middle distance but I'm concerned about the possibility if the swim being shortened/cancelled. Unfortunately some of the others HIMs later in the the season are out of the question due to travelling to weddings and other family stuff I can't avoid.

Late May; anyone care to suggest the odds of the swim being shortened?! There's still a discount of sorts in place at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I signed up last week for the 1/2 Ironman at the discount price of €105. I live in Galway so it's very handy for me. As it's an inland open water swim i'd think the weather would have to be shooking for it to affect the swim. A friend did the Olympic last year and said it was really well organised, he was very surprised with the water temp being so warm but did have small issues with the run course (little too cross country). I Want to do the Hardman in Killarney this year so this race will be a build up event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I see it gets a mention on Triathlete Europe here

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Thanks for sharing that link pgibbo.
    Looks like there'll be very hoT competition. Super! I think the water temps should be fine so no shortened swim but let's see.

Apart from the cross-country like run (which I like) how are the hills on the bike and run route? And is the bike route technical does anyone know?

Thanks

Bike route is going to be a nice challenge.

Olympic is two loops. Starting from Lough Cutra you head south and left around the bottom of the lake, then up a nice little climb before roller coasting north on the east side of the lake to Gort. You then spin back to Cutra and around again.

Gauntlet bike takes in some of the Burren's finest climbs before leading back around on a relatively flat TT course through South Galway.

Nothing overly technical though the second loop on the Oly will be testing.

I'm running the run course in the mornign and will feed back on that. There will be some opportunity to do a recce run in the coming weeks (hosted by yours truly) but I'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement

That's great AKW thanks. I'm doing the Oly course so good to know what to expect for that first and second lap.

Would be v-interested in hearing your feedback on the run too. Won't be able to make any test runs when based in Dublin I'm afraid! But will head down on the Sat. 24th and do an easy spin of the course hopefully.

Let us know how the run loop goes!

lizanne83 wrote: »
    Let us know how the run loop goes!

I sure will.

Finally registered myself too for the Gauntlet today. Not sure if any other boardsies are in yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

AKW wrote: »
    I sure will.

Finally registered myself too for the Gauntlet today. Not sure if any other boardsies are in yet?

In for the OLY although might consider bumping up to the half for FF prep, with longer OW swim addressing swim/bike issues etc

In for the OLY although might consider bumping up to the half for FF prep, with longer OW swim addressing swim/bike issues etc

Now I'd better go and train properly to avoid complete ridicule!!

If you like trails you will love this course. If you are exclusively a road runner there's 500mm of road to keep you happy ;)

I ran the 7k loop of the Gauntlet this morning and it is a blend of hardpack 806 gravel, forest trail, field (which will be cut & rolled), the bit of road above and back through the estate. As you come into the finish area you are back onto grass for the second and third loop.

The 4k and 5k routes (x2 5k for Oly) are branched off the Gauntlet course but all share the same start and finish routes of approx 1.5k each way.

There is a long course bike recce planned for 10th May, 90k averaging 27/28kmph with a mini-break in Ballyvaughan (it is a leisurely spin) I am in the process of planning access for recce runs if there is any interest. Possibly do a loop of the 5k followed by the 7k after the cycle or maybe the evening before if people wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

considering the short course event..i presume its the same 20k loop that the olympic will be doing 2 of..

Yep oly goes around twice.

Thanks AKW..... better get back to some trail running then as I've only been on the roads! Sounds like an interesting run! :)

Advertisement