Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silencing a 22. mag

Options
  • 24-10-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Quick question, I bought a 2nd hand Kessnar .22 mag Rifle a few months ago and she has a fair bang when you pull the trigger.

Does anyone know If its worth putting a silencer on it to reduce the noise? And how much of a noise reduction would I be looking at?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It will reduce the loud bang but won't do anything for the crack as that is from the bullet breaking the sound barrier. etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

xCossie wrote: »
    Quick question, I bought a 2nd hand Kessnar .22 mag Rifle a few months ago and she has a fair bang when you pull the trigger.

Does anyone know If its worth putting a silencer on it to reduce the noise? And how much of a noise reduction would I be looking at?

Cheers

When people talk of a silencer, they think 007 movies and no sound at all, as said in previous post it will reduce the noise, but you will hear the cracking sound, but it does what it is named Moderate, the sound the Gun makes through the Moderator is by far less, and will help especially around animals such as Horses / Cattle. I use one myself great addition to any .22Lr best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

.22 magnum are hard to moderate the sound in compared to an ordinarry .22 where u can get subsonic ammo and with a sound suppressor are very quiet indeed. I have one on my .22 magnum and its just a loud crack with a Sak Mod on it.I have read somewhere is to spray white lithuim grease in the inside of the moderator they call it a "Wet Suppresor" and the dirter it gets the quieter and better it is. I'm contemplating doing and testing it out think theres a video on youtube about it too. You also need permisson to carry a sound moderator as well in case you don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 xCossie

ace86 wrote: »
    .22 magnum are hard to moderate the sound in compared to an ordinarry .22 where u can get subsonic ammo and with a sound suppressor are very quiet indeed. I have one on my .22 magnum and its just a loud crack with a Sak Mod on it.I have read somewhere is to spray white lithuim grease in the inside of the moderator they call it a "Wet Suppresor" and the dirter it gets the quieter and better it is. I'm contemplating doing and testing it out think theres a video on youtube about it too. You also need permisson to carry a sound moderator as well in case you don't know.

Thanks guys, it is a problem around cattle and sheep and close to houses in the evening, it's not nice creating noise around people homes, any of you guy know how much it will cost me to get the gun threaded and buy a suitable silencer?

Thanks guys, it is a problem around cattle and sheep and close to houses in the evening, it's not nice creating noise around people homes, any of you guy know how much it will cost me to get the gun threaded and buy a suitable silencer?

A mod about € 100 second hand, the threading of the barrell not so sure someone else on here will be able to sort this.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 xCossie

Tawny Owl wrote: »
    A mod about € 100 second hand, the threading of the barrell not so sure someone else on here will be able to sort this.;)

thanks man, and is there anything to be done on the licence to say I can carry a moderator?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Tawny Owl wrote: »

Its a .22 mag so it will be about 40euro second hand for a rimfire mod. you'd pick up a brand new sak for 50-60quid.

Barrel and threading and a thread cap would be around 70-100 depending where you go. Be sure to get it done by a proper gunsmith.

When your applying on the application there is a section which has Scope and silencer tick that box, when you get the licence you should have an S in bold at the bottom left of the licence showing you were granted the Mod if not get onto the FO.once granted thats your permission to have a Mod.

Cheers.;)

I forgot to add as you already have your Licence, it will cost to add on the Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

Ya it should help a little bit especially around animals and things, A sak mod is €50 new and the threading of the rifle can cost €100-€150 depending who is doing the work,cheap option sometimes is not always the best bcos a s**t job is for the life of the rifle even if u decide to sell it on after.

• Advertisement
Advertisement