Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parnell st, it's so grim!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

And closed the two independent shops on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

The Shell station really brings the whole street down which is a great pity. I don't take any notice of drunks or druggies cause they don't bother me. I like this street but probably because I used to have family ties there and spent alot of my childhood vitisting.
    The tobacconist on Wickham Street is a treasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Its not *that* bad. I live in the area and walk on Parnell Street a lot as it cuts walking times for me to get to lots of places. As a female (not a very tough looking one) i have never felt intimidated on the street. It has never crossed my mind not to use it when walking places. I will walk it during the day and when its dark - always with my wits about me, as is the case on any street!

Its not the prettiest street but there are some nice shops on the street - decent charity shops, a good chemist and butchers also the hardware/paint shops. Honestly I dont see it as others seem to see it in this thread.

Sure i wouldnt direct tourists there to see the sights but its not exactly Skid Row.

Also from my extensive travels - the areas outside a cities main train/bus/subway/whatever station seems to always attract transient people/people with alcohol abuse and drug abuse problems/pick pockets etc. - Its not just Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

It doesn't matter if it's not just Limerick - I'm sick of hearing that line trotted out whenever anyone mentions a problem in our city.

We need to eradicate that attitude if we are to ever turn this place around for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

From this thread I guess the key points being made is about the visual aspect of the street and the undesirables hanging around. On the visual aspect, personally I believe Parnell Street itself has a lot of character and isn't as soulless as newer streets like Bedford row. The shops and businesses on the street are good solid local businesses without the string of English multinationals. This to me is great. Some of the buildings seem to be crumbling which from the outside adds to the character.

As for the undesirables, there's only a handful of them and unless you feel the need to discriminate they have a right to walk along that street the very same as anyone else. Saying that, any intimidation or aggressive behaviour needs to be dealt with and a visual presence of An Garda Siochain on the street can do no harm, but the Guards themselves cannot discriminate unless someone is breaking the law. Looking rough is not a reason to accost someone so I see their hands are tied in that regard.

All in all some money could be spent to improve the area without losing the character, but we got to remember as much as it is outside the train station it is still a good enough distance from the main thoroughfare and I can't see it going through a drastic change only a more slower organic change over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

From a policing point of view, Parnell Street is a bit of an odd one, as it is actually in Roxboro Road's district, not Henry Street as most would expect.

This means that beat patrols have a fair distance to cover to get there, and as it is a very small portion of their area, and on the very edge of their district it may be neglected by Roxboro Gardai.

I'm not blaming Roxboro Gardai for this as they have a very large area to cover with considerably less Gardai than Henry Street, and Parnell Street is just one street in their sizeable district.

I would think if this new divisional HQ is built on Mulgrave Street the district lines should be redrawn so the new station covers the entire city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

source wrote: »
    From a policing point of view, Parnell Street is a bit of an odd one, as it is actually in Roxboro Road's district, not Henry Street as most would expect.

This means that beat patrols have a fair distance to cover to get there, and as it is a very small portion of their area, and on the very edge of their district it may be neglected by Roxboro Gardai.

I'm not blaming Roxboro Gardai for this as they have a very large area to cover with considerably less Gardai than Henry Street, and Parnell Street is just one street in their sizeable district.

I would think if this new divisional HQ is built on Mulgrave Street the district lines should be redrawn so the new station covers the entire city centre.

How do they come up with such illogical policing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

padma wrote: »
    From this thread I guess the key points being made is about the visual aspect of the street and the undesirables hanging around. On the visual aspect, personally I believe Parnell Street itself has a lot of character and isn't as soulless as newer streets like Bedford row. The shops and businesses on the street are good solid local businesses without the string of English multinationals. This to me is great. Some of the buildings seem to be crumbling which from the outside adds to the character.

As for the undesirables, there's only a handful of them and unless you feel the need to discriminate they have a right to walk along that street the very same as anyone else. Saying that, any intimidation or aggressive behaviour needs to be dealt with and a visual presence of An Garda Siochain on the street can do no harm, but the Guards themselves cannot discriminate unless someone is breaking the law. Looking rough is not a reason to accost someone so I see their hands are tied in that regard.

All in all some money could be spent to improve the area without losing the character, but we got to remember as much as it is outside the train station it is still a good enough distance from the main thoroughfare and I can't see it going through a drastic change only a more slower organic change over the years.

Again I like Parnell st. too. It does have decent character but it could really just do with a clean up, I'm not talk about thousands being spent all at once but there are numerous different thing that could be done to make it a nicer looking street and more inviting. A few hanging baskets or flower pots, a lick of paint here and there, it doesn't have to be drastic, but it could be such a lovely street as its all small businesses, turn the parkland into a dog park, this would bring dog owners onto the street as there is no dog park in Limerick at present. I suppose what really annoys me about how grim it is is that I can see great potential in the area, I think it could be really lovely.

As for a Garda presence, I think it would just make the area feel that bit safer, a foot partol every once in a while just wouldn't do any harm, can't understand why Roxboro are supposed to police Parnell st. It seems strange to me, I would have thought that Henry st. would be in charge of the area. I guess it's just one of those weird oversight things.

Advertisement