Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What length should firewood be???

• 24-10-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I've 700 ash trees on the ground after recent thinning and i'm thinking of dipping my toe into the water of the firewood game, it's really only to a few neighbours who want a reliable source of good quality firewood.
    What's the preferable length to cut firewood into?
    I cut my own very long as I have quite a big stove...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

locky76 wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    I've 700 ash trees on the ground after recent thinning and i'm thinking of dipping my toe into the water of the firewood game, it's really only to a few neighbours who want a reliable source of good quality firewood.
    What's the preferable length to cut firewood into?
    I cut my own very long as I have quite a big stove...
    250-300mm I would think, 10-12 inches in old money

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

ford2600 wrote: »
    250-300mm I would think, 10-12 inches in old money
    Fair play,
    As said before I cut mine around the 16'' mark, 400mm new money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 paddyc310

The longer the more money you will make 10 in charge more the smaller bags or small trailer of shorter logs you will get lots of people to buy lots of stoves in ash should be good seller good luck,,,

Fair play,
    As said before I cut mine around the 16'' mark, 400mm new money ;)

Sell a bit myself from a 7 acre ash thinning.

Just starting a chainsaw thinning of 14 acre spruce wood all of which will end as firewood.

Will use a processor for it.

Bought a lovely stove for parents and the max size is 300mm.

Dry it well get a name for good wood and build a few handy customers that way.

Good luck

Cheers ford2600, what sort of money should i get for a cubic metre bag of ash?
    Also i have a good bit of seasoned spruce, what sort of money should i get for a cubic metre bag of this?
    ford2600 wrote: »
    Sell a bit myself from a 7 acre ash thinning.

Just starting a chainsaw thinning of 14 acre spruce wood all of which will end as firewood.

Will use a processor for it.

Bought a lovely stove for parents and the max size is 300mm.

Dry it well get a name for good wood and build a few handy customers that way.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Cheers ford2600, what sort of money should i get for a cubic metre bag of ash?
    Also i have a good bit of seasoned spruce, what sort of money should i get for a cubic metre bag of this?
    I would imagine ash would be worth a good bit more than spruce .Be more heat out of ash?

I would imagine ash would be worth a good bit more than spruce .Be more heat out of ash?

If selling by volume I.e. per cubic meter the energy value of ash is higher than spruce.

Dry spruce selling 50-60

Ash up towards 80.

make sure it's dry for return business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

depends on how well packed the bags are,80 seems dear to me,local coal merchant has them for 60,there skimpy lookin though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

10" is right for most of the stoves people are buying at the moment. If you can also separate it into smaller pieces for kindling and solid chunks for maintenance burning you'll have happy customers.
    Most people I know buy it by the cube (cubic metre), well packed on pallets. If it's damp, or loosely packed, they won't buy again from the same person, but if it's dry, a good solid cube, and packed so that it fits easily into a garage or shed (not too high), they'll buy again and again.
    Where are you, by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

dry seasoned ash we would be charging up to €85 per cu mtr

we sold fresh for or mixed ash/sycamore for €75

once people get a load of dry ash they will give a good price , most are being conned by cowboys selling softwood or wet fresh timber ,

we have a lot of customers with very small stoves and are delighted with logs about 10 inches most of these would be bags ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

And incidentally, when you're setting your price, don't forget that you'll need to cover your petrol/diesel for getting the wood to the customers. Most sellers charge one rate within about 50km, and a higher rate beyond that.
    I got ripped off a couple of times and never bought from those sellers again; if you can have a straight, transparent pricing model and good dry wood, you'll keep your customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I thought there was a shortage of ash at the moment and particularly for making hurls. There's been a number of incidents of ash trees being stolen.

10" is right for most of the stoves people are buying at the moment. If you can also separate it into smaller pieces for kindling and solid chunks for maintenance burning you'll have happy customers.
    Most people I know buy it by the cube (cubic metre), well packed on pallets. If it's damp, or loosely packed, they won't buy again from the same person, but if it's dry, a good solid cube, and packed so that it fits easily into a garage or shed (not too high), they'll buy again and again.
    Where are you, by the way?
    as per my handle info, South Limerick...

Yeah i had thought about distance and will really only be looking for customers within 5 miles of home, it's only for pocket money for Xmas...
    This would be the bags I would be using:
    http://sacks.ie/shop/bulk-bags/one-tonne-bag-90x90x90cm/
    What about €80 for one of these full of 10'' split ash, an extra €20 to include a bag of premium Polish coal
    €60 for a bag of split spruce, all timber guaranteed under 20% moisture content...
    And incidentally, when you're setting your price, don't forget that you'll need to cover your petrol/diesel for getting the wood to the customers. Most sellers charge one rate within about 50km, and a higher rate beyond that.
    I got ripped off a couple of times and never bought from those sellers again; if you can have a straight, transparent pricing model and good dry wood, you'll keep your customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tommy5678

bags of ash firewood cut this week. 10inchs long in 25kg ration bags what could i sell them for have 1000 cut .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

I suppose it depends on who you sell to but I would have thought that 10" was a bit long for some of the smaller stoves that are out there now.

A neighbour that takes any fallen branches etc. that I have, likes it cut to 7".

The lads at logs.ie look for rings 7-8" in length. http://logs.ie/#webuytimber

Advertisement