Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Koi questions

Options
  • 24-10-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

Hi all, due to the side of my pond being damaged beyond repair I've had to bring my four koi inside into a small 50L tank. Their sized between 4 - 8 inches, Not ideal obviously but I can't afford a new pond right now. The problem is I have two filters going but the water is still filthy even with regular water changes, I know koi are messy fish by nature but any advice for keeping them cleaner for longer? Water coditioners are working but are not long lasting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

They will not last in a 50l tank. It's not big enough for one of them never mind 4.

Can you get a larger container and keep them outside with the pond filter running?

They need very good stable water quality and you have no chance with 4 of them in a 50l tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

As I said I can't afford anything bigger right now so my options are very limited

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Find someone who can house them for the winter at least while you can repair the pond. If you can't find a temporary home, then give them away. As Tropheus said, they won't last too long in a 50l tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

SingItOut wrote: »
    As I said I can't afford anything bigger right now so my options are very limited

You need to give them up or give them to someone with a pond for the winter until you can afford a new pond. They are going to die very fast in a tank that size.

I will find a temporary container, it wouldn't be fair on them to just "get rid"

Is pond tarp a reliable substitute to those plastic tub ponds?I'm just worried if I get another plastic tub pond the same will happen again they were lucky to survive when it did, apart from one large ghost koi :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It doesn't sound as though you're set up for Koi. Those plastic ponds are nowhere near deep enough for Koi. Honestly, you'd be much better off moving them on for the sake of the fish.

Tropheus wrote: »
    It doesn't sound as though you're set up for Koi. Those plastic ponds are nowhere near deep enough for Koi. Honestly, you'd be much better off moving them on for the sake of the fish.

Actually I take care of all my pets extremely well thank you very much. I don't believe in getting rid of them just for convience, they will have their new pond as soon as it is affordable.

Anyway I spoke to a fish expert earlier and he gave me great pointers. Problem solved.

Edit to add: I appreciate and under stand everybodies concern for the welfare of my koi and rest assured they will be looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bargainbucket

What food are you feeding them I find koi pond pellets/ sticks very greasy check the pet shop normal flaked food is a lot cleaner in a small tank for the fish and on water changes put in some water nutriliser hope this helps :)

I've been feeding them hikari wheat germ round pellets because after a ton of research it seems to be the healthiest. I found in the pond that the sticks would clog it up more than the round pellets, My fish didn't really seem to like sticks though even when broken in half, fussy eaters! I can't remember the name of the stick food though

Try some flakes had some koi in a tank before and found them the best can't remember the name of them might of been tetra flakes some other brands turn the water a horrible colour ask in the pet shop but don't tell them you have koi in a tank got a ear bashing once :)

• Advertisement

It was Aquarian fish food I found the best tetra coloured the water got 6/8 weeks out of a tank hope this helps and make sure you keep the filter clean it can get dirty very quick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Actually I take care of all my pets extremely well thank you very much. I don't believe in getting rid of them just for convience, they will have their new pond as soon as it is affordable.

Anyway I spoke to a fish expert earlier and he gave me great pointers. Problem solved.

Edit to add: I appreciate and under stand everybodies concern for the welfare of my koi and rest assured they will be looked after.

You wouldn't be 'getting rid for convenience', you'd be making sure they weren't being kept in insufficient housing for an indeterminate period of time.

Out of curiosity, what did the fish expert say?

She gave me advice on which water conditioner/solution to use to aid filtration etc. In the garden centre they weren't housed in a large container as they were so small, Also as I have only had the fish for three months (got them from maiden head aquatics in carlow which is shut down since last month, it's only in Belfast now unfortunately) they are in no immediate danger of being moved in a temporary tank. I've been given a free replacement on the pond so problem solved, it will be fitted in next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

She gave me advice on which water conditioner/solution to use to aid filtration etc. In the garden centre they weren't housed in a large container as they were so small, Also as I have only had the fish for three months (got them from maiden head aquatics in carlow which is shut down since last month, it's only in Belfast now unfortunately) they are in no immediate danger of being moved in a temporary tank. I've been given a free replacement on the pond so problem solved, it will be fitted in next weekend.

Just curious, what caused the other pond to become damaged beyond repair? Is it a deep pond? Did something fall into it or something?

Yes it was a deep pond. And I have no idea what caused the damaged as it was in the ground running for weeks before the fish arrived. Obviously checked for rocks and sharp objects but found nothing

Advertisement