Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG G Pad 8.3 Tablet

Options
  • 24-10-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

The LG G Pad 8.3 tablet is getting launched today in Harvey Norman. For some reason they have the exclusive rights to sell it.

I'm thinking of selling my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and picking this new tablet up. All of the reviews are glowing, from the screen, to build quality, form factor, processor, etc.

What I am wondering is whether anyone has heard any negative issues or teething problems and if many of you are planning on picking one of these things up.

Stephen.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Crowebar2

Hey,

Popped over to Harvey Norman to have a look at this puppy and I was really impressed by the screen, size, speed, etc., but unfortunately, one thing was a deal breaker for me. The speakers are rear-facing and the sound quality is, therefore, pretty awful.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and HTC One phone both have front-facing speakers and it makes a huge difference. I tend to use both quite a lot and being able to clearly hear YouTube videos and other sounds is pretty important. Any cover that is put over this tablet will only make the sound worse.

It's a pity that this is a deal breaker for me as the tablet really is great and works brilliantly.

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Crowebar2 wrote: »
    Hey,

Popped over to Harvey Norman to have a look at this puppy and I was really impressed by the screen, size, speed, etc., but unfortunately, one thing was a deal breaker for me. The speakers are rear-facing and the sound quality is, therefore, pretty awful.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and HTC One phone both have front-facing speakers and it makes a huge difference. I tend to use both quite a lot and being able to clearly hear YouTube videos and other sounds is pretty important. Any cover that is put over this tablet will only make the sound worse.

It's a pity that this is a deal breaker for me as the tablet really is great and works brilliantly.

Stephen.

How bad are we talking soundwise?
    What price are they ?

dor843088 wrote: »
    How bad are we talking soundwise?
    What price are they ?

Dor...

The sound is pretty average to be honest. Not at a high end level at all. However, if this isn't a big concern for you then work away. The tablet really is great and I think the size is perfect. A real mobile tablet that you'll definitely take out of the home.

Price is €339 which I think is great value to be honest.

I'm holding out for a different one. Just have to wait for it to be invented tho.

Stephen.

Right, decided to get this in the end. Harvey Norman had their Cyber Monday sale on yesterday with 10% off. The device was down to €287 in the end. Too good to turn down.

Should arrive by week end so I'll post a mini review if anyone is interested.

Stephen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ck24

Crowebar2 wrote: »
    Right, decided to get this in the end. Harvey Norman had their Cyber Monday sale on yesterday with 10% off. The device was down to €287 in the end. Too good to turn down.

Should arrive by week end so I'll post a mini review if anyone is interested.

Stephen.

How is that LG tablet working out for you? I'm looking to get an 8" tablet and I'm thinking this looks like the best option.

ck24 wrote: »
    How is that LG tablet working out for you? I'm looking to get an 8" tablet and I'm thinking this looks like the best option.

CK24,

To be honest, I am very happy with the tablet. The size really is perfect and fits so much better in the hand when compared to 10" tabs. The difference in weight is also noticeable. I have always liked the size of the iPad Mini but I really dislike the Apple OS and much prefer the Android set up.

The screen on this tablet is beautiful and it's great for watching movies on, reading books, looking at photos, etc. LG's take on Jellybean 4.2.2 is a bit too flashy and gimmicky, so I would suggest loading a different launcher. Nova or ADW are excellent and make the device even nicer to use.

The sound was originally a bit of a sticking point for me as the speakers are rear facing (on one side only), not that powerful and a bit trebly and tinny. In saying that, I don't tend to listen to many things on this device without earphones in and this way the sound is perfect.

Another issue for me what the lack of quality covers on sale either in Harvey Norman or online. This has gotten a bit better with the launch of a number of dedicated cheap options out there, but I am holding out for a premium leather one. These are made by Noreve (http://www.noreve.com/langue/en.html) and they will have one available for the LG 8.3 in the coming days. I've used one of these before on my Samsung Note 10.1 (http://www.noreve.com/langue/en/product/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_10.1_Tradition_leather_case.html) and couldn't speak highly enough of them. They are pricey but the quality and form really is of the highest level.

I would fully recommend this tablet and feel that none of the other 8" Android tabs on the market come close.

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

Saw them on sale on the ASDA website for 229 STG (inc 20 voucher discount )plus UK postage of STG2.95
    plus Parcel Motel 3.50 euro .

http://direct.asda.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-ASDA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=lg+g+pad

All in approx 277 euro delivered.
    Anyone beat this price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Got it for 280 in Harvey Norman (back up to 299 now)

Excellent tablet!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Got my LG G Pad at HN last week and love it. Anyone buy a case for theirs?
    Asked about cases in store and the manager showed me an offcial lg brand smart case for the tab costing a whopping 70 quid! Needless to say I passed on that one. Although he did say that this HN where getting in more generic, better priced cases for the pad so im going to see them first. Anyone manage to pick up a case in HN for theirs? Or get a good one online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 jemima_b

ASDA Direct now quoting price of £199 for the LG G Pad 8.3 V500, but use the promo code "taboffer" and it goes down to £179 (plus delivery, or free "click and collect" from your local store).
    I ordered one at £179 plus £2.95 delivery to Parcel Motel, Newtownabbey, NI, then €3.50 Parcel Motel charge to get it delivered to Dublin. So overall cost to me was €221. Presuming no probs with Parcel Motel, this is a pretty SWEET deal !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doubie

I got one for Christmas and I'm loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭blade1

doubie wrote: »
    I got one for Christmas and I'm loving it!

I got one today!!
    High Five!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I bought two of these in HM as presents last May. I borrowed one back to try it. Lovely tablet, and the new owners are delighted. I bought one cover in HM for some outragoug amount of money and another on amazon way cheaper....nothing to choose between them except colour. I did a lot of research on 8 inch tablets (ideal size IMO) and decided this was the best. It seems to be living up to expectation. Lovely tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Anyone interested in this, it's down to £169 on amazon. Which equates to around 227 euro. Decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Trying to decide on an 8 inch tablet. Going to pick up over next 2 days so online is not an option. I think I have it down to the LG G-PAD 8.3", currently 299 I'm HN; or the Lenovo yoga 2 8 inch, for 249 in Argos.
    Any opinions on prop and cons for either?
    G like that the LG has the slightly bigger screen, and that Lenovo has long battery life, other than that I'm kinda stuck

Advertisement