Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price off line rental dropping?

• 24-10-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

Line rental has been held artificially high at around €25 per month because of the pensioners grant.

Now that has been abolished the service providers will come out with new packages with reduced costs.

I was speaking with Vodafone customer service today and they had heard rumour of next month but nothing concrete.

Has anyone else heard anything?

I am due to move house next month so I will tie into a new contract. I want to get the best deal of course.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I really can't see it being reduced, especially if a lot of older customers change to not using an eircom line as a result of the allowance cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

The lips wrote: »
    Line rental has been held artificially high at around €25 per month because of the pensioners grant.

Now that has been abolished the service providers will come out with new packages with reduced costs.

True that the line rental price is the highest in the EU
    And yes possibly due to the social welfare payments and other reasons too.

However it's not the providers that set the price it's Comreg so NOTHING is likely to happen if Comreg are involved...we'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

I heard the same thing from Digiweb support a month ago. They were saying that standard DSL/phone packages should be coming down in price by the end of the year. So I would assume they are waiting on Comreg's approval.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/30170-line-rental-in-rural-areas
    Line rental for consumers in rural and suburban areas of Ireland could rise from €26 to €40 a month by 2014 if a proposal by Ireland’s telecoms regulator ComReg to allow Eircom to compete in selected urban areas is enacted, a lobby group has warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

So they want to make line rental free in urban areas and then offset this by having rural areas pay more for a crappy congested product. I've moved from DSL to a 20Mb low ping fixed wireless service and it's been brilliant. I know a lot of people that are happy out on their dongles because all they're doing is basic stuff like facebook and email. So, I really hope this ends up biting Eircom in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

If that was implemented it'd be €60 for their basic 30gb cap product. Can't see why anyone out the country on an upto 8Mb exchange and a poor line probablly gettin maybe 2-3Mb would choose this.

Surely Eircom can see they'd be shooting themselves in the foot?
    Maybe they don't want rural customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I'm with Utv internet and they've actually increased my line rental last month by around e3 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

BT in the UK also just increased prices for line rental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sky have also increased their line rental in England. From £14.50 to £15.40. I highly doubt the line rental will ever be decreased.

Advertisement