Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plumber or Electrician?

• 24-10-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hiya

I'm looking to fit an electric shower to the bath in my main bathroom. Do i need both an electrician and a plumber to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Cycling Dumbasses

You need a registered electrician to do the electrical side of it as of new legislation 1st October 2013, an electrician who is competent in plumbing could also do the plumbing side of it, so one tradesman would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Or you could get a plumber to to do the plumbing and electrical work at the shower , and run cable back to main consumer board, where he would most likely have a sparks that he works with that could make the final connection as required. Id rather trust a plumber to pull a cable than trust a sparks to plumb in a shower.

Egass13 wrote: »
    Or you could get a plumber to to do the plumbing and electrical work at the shower , and run cable back to main consumer board, where he would most likely have a sparks that he works with that could make the final connection as required. Id rather trust a plumber to pull a cable than trust a sparks to plumb in a shower.
    That plumber does not know much if he runs the cable from shower to consumer unit, local isolation required i.e 45 amp double pole switch either pull cord or wall mounted, in my experience i always check connections done by plumber at shower because more times than not they dont sleeve the earth wire plus do very bad termination in connector block at shower.

Obviously you need isolation, didn't realize a full detailed technical explanation was needed , a GOOD plumber would know this aswell . I'd still rather let a competent plumber pull a cable from a to b before I'd let a sparks make a connection to either tank or mains water supplies in the attic.

Can an electrician not be a competent plumber too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

If the electricity and the water all come tumbling out the shower nozzle at the same time, it's not the water part that's going to kill you. Get in a sparky to run your cables, wire in an appropriate breaker in the panel, isolation switch and shower. Has to be signed off on by a sparky under the new regs in any case, unless I"m mistaken.

Can a plumber not be a competent electrician ?

Of course he can, but...

a) can a plumber sign off on an electrical installation under the new regs?

b) if the plumbing part gets shoddily done, will it kill you? Now if the wiring part gets shoddily done?

Guess the best answer I can give is for any homeowner to ask himself the above questions. If he's not worried about either, then by all means, go ahead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Yes to replace but not allowed to do new connections on fuse board according to RECI /RGII when I asked them.
    Were allowed to wire off from socket for heating through a fuse switch for our type of work.
    But I was informed by RECI that fuse board is now off limits to us.

I don't remember suggesting a plumber could sign off the job. . And to vere away from death for a minute . When the connection that the sparks made to the water supply , tank or mains , decides to blow off and flood the house what happens then? When the insurance company looks for the sparks qualifications to carry out the plumbing work and he Dsnt have them who foots the bill?

Two seperate trades so get two seperate tradesmen and hey presto , job is done and not a single funeral to attend.

• Advertisement

scudo2 wrote: »
    Yes to replace but not allowed to do new connections on fuse board according to RECI /RGII when I asked them.
    Were allowed to wire off from socket for heating through a fuse switch for our type of work.
    But I was informed by RECI that fuse board is now off limits to us.

I know scudo2, that's why I said about a sparks connecting to the consumer unit

I don't remember suggesting a plumber could sign off the job. . And to vere away from death for a minute . When the connection that the sparks made to the water supply , tank or mains , decides to blow off and flood the house what happens then? When the insurance company looks for the sparks qualifications to carry out the plumbing work and he Dsnt have them who foots the bill?

Two seperate trades so get two seperate tradesmen and hey presto , job is done and not a single funeral to attend.

I didn't recommend that the OP let the sparky plumb it in either :) As far as I'm concerned, he should get in both, or preferably find a plumber that has a sparky on speed dial for installations such as these, which might reduce costs a bit.

mike_ie wrote: »
    I didn't recommend that the OP let the sparky plumb it in either :) As far as I'm concerned, he should get in both, or preferably find a plumber that has a sparky on speed dial for installations such as these, which might reduce costs a bit.

Sorry it was the other lad that suggested that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

I know scudo2, that's why I said about a sparks connecting to the consumer unit

Were friends now, just call me scudo

I'll never be scudo3 there a crap van !
    Do Rolls Royce do van's--- I like that name and might sound more appropate!

scudo2 wrote: »
    Were friends now, just call me scudo

I'll never be scudo3 there a crap van !
    Do Rolls Royce do van's--- I like that name and might sound more appropate!

Great , after exhausting every avenue there is I've finally found a friend !

He can and if he is also a registered electrician he could do the electrical and plumbing, job sorted. Game over ball burst.

Advertisement