Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop from argos is it good , xmas present

• 24-10-2013 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Hey

Basicly my Mam is getting my 16 year old sister a laptop for christmas

(seems as if everyone in my family is getting something along the lines of a computer this christmas)

But anyhow, here it is, is it worth the price

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1087431/Trail/searchtext%3ECOMPAQ.htm

its 380e
    although I do work in argos, and get a discount, so it comes to about 340e

so basicly is 340e worth it for this?

is it old ? or is it new? is it fast most important?

My sister will be mainly using it for watching movies, streaming netflix, probably playing light games that dont demand alot interms of graphics, and social networking

I have not a clue about computers or their parts, so any advice would be great as I'm planning on picking it up tomorrow morning

thanks everyone :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The processor is on the market for 2 years and nothing to write home about, but €340 is an OK deal.

If you look around, for little more you may find a laptop with an Intel Core i3-3110M (60% faster, much better graphics).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Torqay wrote: »
    The processor is on the market for 2 years and nothing to write home about, but €340 is an OK deal.

If you look around, for little more you may find a laptop with an Intel Core i3-3110M (60% faster, much better graphics).

But will it be a fast laptop? shes only going to be using it for netflix,watching movies ect... probably the odd download but nothing too big
    once its fast and can preform the basic functions I dont mind telling my mam to get it for her seen as its an ok price for it
    cause i tried searching around and quite alot of laptops are expensive considering shes not going to be using the full power of the processor itself

It won't be exactly fast, it will be OK for most tasks you have mentioned. Problems may arise when it comes to "playing light games". With a third generation Core i3 (i.e. an i3-3110M) you'll get Intel HD 4000 graphics which is quite capable. Such laptops cost around 400 yoyos at the moment.

That Pentium B960 is really only good enough for most basic tasks, don't expect any miracles.

You said it is a Christmas pressy. My advice is to wait a little while, some decent deals should be coming up soon. The third generation of Core i3 processors are on their way out, the latest generation has just been introduced.

It won't be exactly fast, it will be OK for most tasks you have mentioned. Problems may arise when it comes to "playing light games". With a third generation Core i3 (i.e. an i3-3110M) you'll get Intel HD 4000 graphics which is quite capable. Such laptops cost around 400 yoyos at the moment.

That Pentium B960 is really only good enough for most basic tasks, don't expect any miracles.

You said it is a Christmas pressy. My advice is to wait a little while, some decent deals should be coming up soon. The third generation of Core i3 processors are on their way out, the latest generation has just been introduced.

ok mate no problem
    just reason She wants to buy quick is because the sale price is only valid until the 29th which is only like 4 days away.

Well, you were looking at 380 yoyos, this money will buy you a decidedly better laptop.

As for Argos, good luck to them selling this laptop for €380 next week.

• Advertisement

Well, you were looking at 380 yoyos, this money will buy you a decidedly better laptop.

As for Argos, good luck to them selling this laptop for €380 next week.

340e actually as I get a discount :) so it seems good deal

If you're getting 10% discount as an employee, you should consider this Toshiba laptop, with the discount it'll be €410. A much better machine and somewhat "future proof".

To give you an idea about the performance difference:

fnDHZZY.jpg

hjhTPtl.jpg

And it doesn't stop there, the Toshiba also has much better graphics (important if your sis wants to play games). It's well worth spending 70 yoyos more.

Advertisement