Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Essauoira, Morocco

Options
  • 24-10-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Well All

Heading off for a week in min November.

Been surfing to the Canaries a few times. Was considering Morocco this time around. Not hearing too much good about Agadir and surrounds but have been, not as a surfer, Essaouria before. Whats the surf scene there like? Wave quality (Im intermediate) water quality, localism, crowds?

Any tips?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 linnanea

Go to Sidi Kaouki just south of Essouaira - a 100dhm taxi should cover it. AMAZING area with great surf for all abilities as long as the swell isn't too big - it is considerably windier than further south so that's something to keep in mind. There is board/suit rental down there but it's limited so bring your own.

I'm heading to Taghazout mid november for 2 weeks and would love to get back there - might take the trip up for a few days if it doesn't look too windy or if i get bummed out by the crowds in Taghazout. Stayed in a great little place called Dar Boujedda (woeful spelling - i'm sure i have their card around with more details if you need them) right on the beach - should be able to get b&b for less than 150dhm. A few little places to eat the freshest and tastiest fish you'll ever have; try the fishing village shack just north of (10 minute walk) of Sidi Kaouki village.

Essouaira itself is very exposed to the wind - never saw the wind drop below ~15kts; it's a kitesurfer haven with a huge expansive beach. Might be a bit of shelter in towards town on the higher tides, but that's fairly speculative.

You didn't hear good things about Agadir and the surf around there??? You've been talking to the wrong people. Sure there's crowds, but there's also SO many breaks - get a car and explore.

All in all, go to Sidi Kaouki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Going myself with the GF dec 28 for a week.
    they're charging like 100eur a head for a days surfing and a night b&b. Dont know if this is good value.
    Any recommendations?
    Taghazout seems like a bit of a kip tostay in incase the surf aint great. Would we be better staying in agadir and going from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mynewstoday

Hey guys,

Im heading to Morocco on the 21st of November. A break is needed!

In terms of surfing, i am going with one very experience surfer and one intermediate surfer. I , myself, am a beginner.

Speaking to my friend who has been many time before, he is recommending that we go to Imsouane, between Essaouria and Agadir. It looks like a small little fishing village and is meant to have very good, long, breaks. Its also the cheapest place I have found for board/suit rental

http://www.kahinasurfschool.com/rates_kahina.html

Ive been to Essaouria before and, in my opinion, the water is a bit rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 majNick

Immsuane is a awesome break but breaks only rarely (big swell needed as well). Essaouria has a good beginner beach break... best spots in the area are around Tagzhout (close to Agadir): Boilers, famours Anchor Point, Mysteries, etc.... If the swell is very low head to Tamri. There is always a wave... ;)

Advertisement