Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord living abroad

Options
  • 24-10-2013 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hey y'all,
    Need your help with a question.
    Lets say I own a house and go abroad.
    I rent the house out for 20k.
    The tenants are obliged to pay 20% of the gross to the tax man as Im abroad. So does that mean I'm only taxed at 20% effectively - are there any other taxes im missing?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

terencemc wrote: »
    Hey y'all,
    The tenants are obliged to pay 20% of the gross to the tax man as Im abroad. So does that mean I'm only taxed at 20% effectively - are there any other taxes im missing?

Cheers

That depends on your tax status and other earnings, if you're Tax Resident in Ireland, you'll have to settle the balance in october (payment or refund).
    If you're not Tax Resident (not as simple as not living here) you might get away with 20% but talk to an account and and you might get away with even less than that.

Either way you'll have to pay LPT, fortunately NPPR is going next year but if you have retrospective liability you'll need to pay that too.

Must be some house at €1667 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

terencemc wrote: »
    Hey y'all,

Cheers

If non-resident for tax I believe you won't get personal allowances.

If no tax return made you will not be able to claim mortgage interest relief, capital allowances etc.

If renting house for 20k a year I would suggest a (tax-deductible) accountant would be well worth his/her fee.

Advertisement