Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not going debs

• 24-10-2013 10:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

The deposit for my debs is due 4th November I'm not going because I'm afraid about asking for a date.
    Any idea what to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

You will go to the ball Cinderella

Don't not go because your afraid to ask, im sure whoever you ask would love to go

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Everyone in my year are all saying "Debs is going to be lethal, you going, yeah?" and I just reply "Ah yeah, of course".

I don't get what the big deal is, I don't even want to go. It's in September so I'll probably end up paying the deposit now and then just not going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Don't worry about it, won't mean a **** in 20 year's time. Ask for a date, if it happens it happens, big thing at your age but nothing major in the grand scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

You will go to the ball Cinderella

:pac:
    Dhl wrote: »
    The deposit for my debs is due 4th November I'm not going because I'm afraid about asking for a date.
    Any idea what to do

No honestly, obviously it is daunting to ask someone but seriously once you ask you'll be surprised by how easy it is!
    I was nervous about our debs last year as I was terrified that I'd end up going alone (not a big deal in a lot of places, but where I live 99% of people would have dates).
    I ended up asking someone I didn't know *that* well, and it was actually fine! I ended up becoming really good friends with him and we all had a great night.

Honestly something like this isn't worth missing out on your debs for - the debs is a great night, one of the last nights you'll have with your friends, a night you won't forget (or remember, even :pac:). All comes to all go with a friend or a group of friends, but honestly just go for it because what have you got to lose? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 Dhl

I'll go. If I don't get a anyone to go with. E I'll go for a piss up with the lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Doesn't really matter who you ask to be honest. Unless you bring your girlfirend you just end up ditching your date and just having the craic with the lads and it is a class night. :)

Good for you!! :D

As mentioned above people hardly stick with their dates anyway :pac:
    Its well worth the night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Yep, you're gonna end up ditching the date if you don't know them well. I know plenty of people that just brought mates. Like lads brought their mate and they all got pissed together, same with girls. It's really not that big a deal at all, no one bat an eyelid whatsoever!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

(In situations like these) As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do.

Go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I didn't go to my debs and I'm glad I didn't. I got got well with most people in my year but decided to save my money for a trip abroad in November.

• Advertisement

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I didn't go to my debs and I'm glad I didn't. I got got well with most people in my year but decided to save my money for a trip abroad in November.

If OP doesn't get a date you should go with him :) be a shame for both of u too look back and say ye didn't go to a debs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I went by myself to mine-but there was a group of 10 of us-we all sat at the same table and everything-we went as a group. Its an idea if you know anyone else going alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

I went when I didn't really want to and 11 years later I still regret going

elusiveguy wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

loveBBhate wrote: »
    If OP doesn't get a date you should go with him :) be a shame for both of u too look back and say ye didn't go to a debs :)
    Holiday abroad > Debs

Holiday abroad > Debs

Well.........it depends, I only spent 50 euro on the debs, that certainly wouldnt have gotten me a holiday abroad. So he could do both really if he doesnt spend much on his debs.

Holiday abroad > Debs

Eh both?! :)

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Well.........it depends, I only spent 50 euro on the debs, that certainly wouldnt have gotten me a holiday abroad. So he could do both really if he doesnt spend much on his debs.

my debs was 70-80 euro too...that wouldn't get you far on a holiday. :P

Holiday abroad > Debs

So, Lost Boy, care to tell us about this barsgain deal of the century holiday? Or this overpriced Debs? :)

Don't think I'll be going away. I have €40 and no job and don't want to ask my parents

• Advertisement

Just arranged pre debs and paid for debs today. Can't wait now. What people said made me realise how much if regret it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

Any idea what to do

Look man, you'd be surprised how easy it is once you go ahead and do it, rejection hurts a lot less than you would think and it happens to literally everyone. Once you get used to it the confidence starts to come and asking girls out becomes easy.

Is there any particular reason you're nervous? I reckon I can coach you through it

Just arranged pre debs and paid for debs today. Can't wait now. What people said made me realise how much if regret it

Good man :)

yayyyy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

elusiveguy wrote: »

Ahh the oul i got her pregnant night, Been there my friend :pac:

urabell wrote: »
    Look man, you'd be surprised how easy it is once you go ahead and do it, rejection hurts a lot less than you would think and it happens to literally everyone. Once you get used to it the confidence starts to come and asking girls out becomes easy.

Is there any particular reason you're nervous? I reckon I can coach you through it

I don't know really I just started going out with my friends and never really had anything with girls. 1 meet when I was 14 that's it

I don't know really I just started going out with my friends and never really had anything with girls. 1 meet when I was 14 that's it

Not to worry lad :) In the long run it makes no difference. I didn't kiss a girl until I was 13 and ended up losing my virginity when I was 14 and in the grand scale of things and the long term it makes little or no difference. Plenty of time and good years ahead of ya :) don't be getting worried about stuff like that. Just be yourself and with a few drinks in ya you'll be flying it anyway. It's all a learning experience and a night like the debs will do ya no harm. Out and have fun and everything will fall in to place :) the thought of doing something like asking a girl out is always 10 times worse than it actually is. Worst they can happen is she says no. Go on boy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

I wouldn't worry about it, I was the same for a long time. First get confident in yourself, if your friends like something you do chances are girls will like it too. 6th year is a great time to better yourself, put some time into your appearance, if you're not in a mixed school the local library is a great lace to mingle with girls, just start talking about study, it's the perfect icebreaker soon you'll realise they're just people too, after awhile ask one to grab a coffee during a study break, or even just go to the shop together. If she says no, who cares? Just find someone else and ask again. Soon it'll be second nature and the rejection will just bounce off you.

Use 6th year as a time to grow in yourself as well as focusing on the leaving.

Sorry for the essay your attitude is pretty similar to the one I had in the past and I can relate

Thanks so much lads.
    I'm buzzing for this pre debs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i didn't go to my Debs in september because i didn't want to ask a girl im sort of awkward around girls haha, fingers crossed for the future anyhow

Advertisement