Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unable to bleed radiator

• 24-10-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I have a rad that is completely cold when the heating is on. I can't for the life of me bleed it, as the key can't get a grip on the nut. I've have tried a few keys and spent at least an hour at it. There is not much space as you can imagine. Is there any way out of this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

My first advice is to make sure you know , where/how to turn off the water in the event of a mishap.

I have seen an occasion where the nut was removed and fell down through floorboard .

Secondly , get the correct tool to fit the nut .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

I'm in the same position... The idiot that "looked after" my house while I was away obviously tried to bleed the radiator, turned the screw the wrong way and rounded it off. I can see no other way but to take the radiator off the wall, remove the bleed screw and get a new one. You just need to know what you are doing in shutting off the water and draining the rad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I have the correct tool to fit the nut. Problem is the nut is rounded off so can't get a grip on it. The confined space makes it awkward. I can't see in there. Rad is stone cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭bax4556

Insert a small self tapping screw using a powerdriver into the front of the rad. Use a screw with a small hex head and a built in rubber washer. This works a treat. Screw can be loosened off with a small wrench to bleed the rad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

bax4556 wrote: »
    Insert a small self tapping screw using a powerdriver into the front of the rad. Use a screw with a small hex head and a built in rubber washer. This works a treat. Screw can be loosened off with a small wrench to bleed the rad

Be sure to turn off the radiator on BOTH sides first, you can also use just a self tapping screw and put a few turnes of plumbers tape (PTFE) around the screw close to the head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement