Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV coming to Ennis at last

• 24-10-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

I am very pleased

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I heard something about special offers on Saturday morning anyone have any info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's one in Shannon too, apparently the same company (Hilco) rescued hmv and xtra vision so now the shops will be rebranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Radio5

branie wrote: »
    I am very pleased

Where in Ennis? Is it going in with Xtravision in the Market or are they taking a new place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Radio5 wrote: »
    Where in Ennis? Is it going in with Xtravision in the Market or are they taking a new place.

I'd presume so as both are under the one roof. I wonder how the paint schem will work out half black half yellow maybe or all black with xtra vision highlighted. Will be nice just glad to have hmv back plus both do great deals or well did..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Radio5 wrote: »

In with Xtravision.
    HMV brand to be extended across 26 Xtra-vision stores in Ireland
    http://siliconrepublic.com/business/item/33996-hmv-brand-to-be-extended-ac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I heard something about special offers on Saturday morning anyone have any info?

Seems offers are for this Saturday only.
    Details here http://www.xtra-vision.ie/concession-stores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Although with some nostalgia I am glad but I worry about the future of hmv and others like it.

Most of us (especially those who use boards) don't go anywhere near a physical shop to watch a new movie. We download music digitally and we order electronic devices online.

I understand that vinyl record sales are increasing and with a broader range of products promoted in store I'm sure that someone has developed a business model that appears to make a profit.

Hey, I loved going into record stores when I was younger, leafing through records and coming out with something completely different to what I thought I came in for. But, I'm not a teenager anymore and I don't think current teenagers (even the ones who pretend to be retro) want this or even think this way any more.

I genuinely hope this works, it's just that I have my doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

ads20101 wrote: »

Most of us (especially those who use boards) don't go anywhere near a physical shop to watch a new movie. We download music digitally and we order electronic devices online.

Aren't you the techie wizard? I seldom shop online and love going to shops to buy. Most people still shop in bricks and mortar shops because humnas crave interaction. Personally sitting at home downloading stuff would make me feel like a saddo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Personal Abuse will not be tolerated - Palmach has received a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I think there are a few years left in these shops, in places like Ennis anyway. People like to buy consoles, headphones, tablets and so on in the evening when other places are shut. They've been moving away from DVDs for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I bought the new Arcade Fire album in HMV Limerick at the weekend. It was a nice nostalgic feeling as I haven't entered a music shop in over a year and the only physical albums I bought in the meantime were at gigs.

As for the new AF album....I was very underwhelmed. My favourite band with a legendary producer? How could it fail?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Opening in Shannon this weekend too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

ads20101 wrote: »
    Although with some nostalgia I am glad but I worry about the future of hmv and others like it.

I understand that vinyl record sales are increasing and with a broader range of products promoted in store I'm sure that someone has developed a business model that appears to make a profit.

Hey, I loved going into record stores when I was younger, leafing through records and coming out with something completely different to what I thought I came in for. But, I'm not a teenager anymore and I don't think current teenagers (even the ones who pretend to be retro) want this or even think this way any more.

I genuinely hope this works, it's just that I have my doubts.
    I couldn't agree more. Of course there are people out there who aren't tech savvy but the current generation isn't going to last forever and even now I think the technophobes are in the minority. When I worked in Dublin I used to love going into HMV in Dundrum SC and sifting through the shelves. But the reality is that bricks and mortar business comes with flesh and blood staff and they in turn come with Euro and cent wages. A computer server can't go to the union. I really don't see how long it'll last.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. Of course there are people out there who aren't tech savvy but the current generation isn't going to last forever and even now I think the technophobes are in the minority. When I worked in Dublin I used to love going into HMV in Dundrum SC and sifting through the shelves. But the reality is that bricks and mortar business comes with flesh and blood staff and they in turn come with Euro and cent wages. A computer server can't go to the union. I really don't see how long it'll last.

Online shops in turn lead to support jobs for the infrastructure, extra jobs in the warehouses/fullfillment centres and more jobs for delivery people, online isn't all bad.

For what it's worth, I don't think there'll ever be a complete transformation to online on shops, there's more and more breaches in security (1 in Ennis recently) which means a lot of people will be more likely to avoid online shopping and go to bricks and mortal. My brother for example has never bought anything online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Has it opened already? I was in the market Saturday getting my subway fix and I didn't even notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

killanena wrote: »
    Has it opened already? I was in the market Saturday getting my subway fix and I didn't even notice.
    It opened a couple of weeks ago, it's in the Xtra-vision store, I don't think they have changed the signage yet.

Cool, I'll go in and have a look on my way home today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

MrsD007 wrote: »
    It opened a couple of weeks ago, it's in the Xtra-vision store, I don't think they have changed the signage yet.

They changed the signage but it's stupid. It still appears to be xtra vision but at the corner of the over hanging sign it has a little Hmv and on the left hand side of the over building signage hmv is stuck in the corner can barely notice it.

I never got the chance to go in yesterday.=, maybe during the weekend. Is there much new stuff in there or is it the same old?

Advertisement