Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louth is the best place to live in Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Close to the airport , port, O2,aviva, croke park, and Slane (concert), connected to motorways and 30 mins to dublin city centre , beaches , carlingford .
    Good shopping , award winning restaurants and pubs .
    I think louth really is a great place to live , pity we can't get more tourists to the region .

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

blingrhino wrote: »
    Close to the airport , port, O2,aviva, croke park, and Slane (concert), connected to motorways and 30 mins to dublin city centre , beaches , carlingford .
    Good shopping , award winning restaurants and pubs .
    I think louth really is a great place to live , pity we can't get more tourists to the region .
    **WARNING** Living in Louth may make your kids sound like...
    "Howeye doin! d'ya have eny ster bers der hey...?"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

kormak wrote: »
    **WARNING** Living in Louth may make your kids sound like...
    "Howeye doin! d'ya have eny ster bers der hey...?"

Over my dead body! ;)

Usually it's only crime stats we do well in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Geographically, I agree.

It's just culturally that the problems start ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Geographically, I agree.

It's just culturally that the problems start ;)

This is quite true. There's a minority that sometimes let our fair County down.

I've brought friends from the UK to various parts of Louth and they always ask why it's not more heavily promoted. Carlingford is stunning. The cooleys are breathtaking and Dundalk and Drogheda have some of best social elements within them that I've seen in Ireland not to mention an amazing amount of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BBOC

MugMugs wrote: »
    This is quite true. There's a minority that sometimes let our fair County down.

I've brought friends from the UK to various parts of Louth and they always ask why it's not more heavily promoted. Carlingford is stunning. The cooleys are breathtaking and Dundalk and Drogheda have some of best social elements within them that I've seen in Ireland not to mention an amazing amount of history.
    I totally agree. I thought the Local Heros were supposed to do promotion work but not that I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Plenty of tourist come to Monasterboice and they cant even get a cup of tea, as recently as Sunday morning 9.30am there was a Paddywagon bus dropping off, we have as much in Louth as any county and we are not Utilising it.
    One of Gerry Adams election promises was to bring thousands of tourists to Louth, havent heard much since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AAN

These online polls usually don't mean very much and some people will just vote for the county/town that they live in.

County Louth has a few interesting sights like Monasterboice and Millmount Tower and some old churches and sites but it's nothing terribly exciting.
    It's an ideal place to live if you like learning history.
    Not so much if you don't enjoy history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

macadam wrote: »
    Plenty of tourist come to Monasterboice and they cant even get a cup of tea, as recently as Sunday morning 9.30am there was a Paddywagon bus dropping off, we have as much in Louth as any county and we are not Utilising it.
    One of Gerry Adams election promises was to bring thousands of tourists to Louth, havent heard much since.

There was a mobile (decent) coffee shop there for the summer months and apparently it was very sucessful .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

how the hell is monaghan 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

AAN wrote: »
    These online polls usually don't mean very much and some people will just vote for the county/town that they live in.

County Louth has a few interesting sights like Monasterboice and Millmount Tower and some old churches and sites but it's nothing terribly exciting.

Louth is a small county, you need to travel around it a bit more it has great potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

soap1978 wrote: »
    how the hell is monaghan 7th

Kavenagh and Poetry;)

The biggest asset Louth has are its beach's. From Baltray all the way up to Carlingford. Like other areas (Fingal) the great outdoors is not sold to people who like water sports, Sailing, Windsurfing etc. A good coastal walk or cycle way from Drogheda up along the coast would boost tourism big time as the Great Western Greenway has done Westport to Achill Island in Mayo and I believe work has started on one in Kerry also Killorglin to Listowel.

The Cooley's are superb to have on your doorstep and with proper walkways and signposting it could be a great attraction. I was on the Kerry way this year and it would be hard to get lost so good were the signs. If there were 4 or 5 starting points for walks with small car parks with CCTV I think you would see more people visiting.

Mellifont I visited twice this year and each time there were lots of broken glass where car windows had been smashed and this is off putting but this is not only happening there its all over the country. While people might not be big into history there is plenty around the Drogheda area to have a very good historical tour circuit, Oliver Plunkett, Boyne, Millmount, Battle of Boyne site, Oldbridge, Mellifont and I am sure there is plenty more. Not to mention the golf courses.

As a regular to the Wee County I think it is a lovely place and the people are sound and friendly and would not be surprised at results of that survey placing Louth 6th.

LeoB wrote: »
    Kavenagh and Poetry;)

Battle of Boyne site, Oldbridge,
    As a regular to the Wee County I think it is a lovely place and the people are sound and friendly and would not be surprised at results of that survey placing Louth 6th.
    Battle of Boyne is in Meath!! come on now... don't be stealing our sites!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

kormak wrote: »
    Battle of Boyne is in Meath!! come on now... don't be stealing our sites!! :D
    As I Dub I would take nothing from Meath;).

Think most people associate the Battle of the Boyne with the Wee county because of its proximity to Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

still nothing happening on the canal in drogheda stunning walk all the way to donore and beyond but it needs to be developed ,ah i might as well dream here as in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

AAN wrote: »

Are you from Meath? They always try to steal our great victorys away :D

So back to you-if we use the sums you're using,would Dublin or Cork not be top of the pops?

still nothing happening on the canal in drogheda stunning walk all the way to donore and beyond but it needs to be developed ,ah i might as well dream here as in bed.

Be great to have the boardwalk going right down underneath the bridge and past oldbridge seems a waste not to develop it a bit

LeoB wrote: »
    As I Dub I would take nothing from Meath;).

Think most people associate the Battle of the Boyne with the Wee county because of its proximity to Drogheda.
    William of Orange camped out on the Louth side before the battle...
    they like his sort in Louth!! :D

Advertisement