Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More road 'improvements'??

Options
  • 24-10-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Drove from Blackrock Castle to Mahon Point via the Ringmahon Road…. they have to be building THE widest footpath in Cork on a perfectly normal, run of the mill, piece of road.

When completed - I don't think cars will be able to pass each other safely.

Wing mirrors in :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

A bit like the pavement widening exercise by the bus station. Mayhem awaits!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Where exactly are they building this? I ride that rode every day and have no clue where you are on about..... down by the sports fields?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They're at it at the start of Popes's quay as well.
    I think there is a by law that the layout of this junction by Christy Ring bridge must be completely revamped every 2 years.
    My guess is that they're doing it to stop people pulling over at the start of Popes's Quay to wait for/pick people up. No doubt people will continue to stop there causing more traffic disruption!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Seems to be the norm at the moment and presume it's the same thinking as the boreenmanna / skehard road (dis)improvement. Footpaths seem to be way out of proportion to the roads. The new corner from the Well road onto churchyard lane is so wide you could hold a street party on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

They're widening pavements all over the pace - down by the bus station, and the entire length of Washington street it looks like.

There's supposed to be new cycle lanes going in too, so the streets will get very narrow.

Massive pavements and tiny roads - is there a chance they'll allow cycling on the pavements? (wild speculation)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

They're at it at the start of Popes's quay as well.
    I think there is a by law that the layout of this junction by Christy Ring bridge must be completely revamped every 2 years.
    My guess is that they're doing it to stop people pulling over at the start of Popes's Quay to wait for/pick people up. No doubt people will continue to stop there causing more traffic disruption!

Traffic on Pope’s Quay is being reduced to one lane and they are putting in a two way cycle lane on the northern side of the road.

Much of the existing perpendicular parking spaces on Pope’s Quay will be switched to parallel parking.

deRanged wrote: »
    They're widening pavements all over the pace - down by the bus station, and the entire length of Washington street it looks like.

There's supposed to be new cycle lanes going in too, so the streets will get very narrow.

Massive pavements and tiny roads - is there a chance they'll allow cycling on the pavements? (wild speculation)

Can't see it as they've only recently put in specific cycle lanes of death along the skehard road and out to Mahon point. Fine in principle until you come to a junction where the cars have to cross the lane to get into a left hand turn lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Where exactly are they building this? I ride that rode every day and have no clue where you are on about..... down by the sports fields?

Not as far as the sports field. Next turn left after the turn for Aldi (think it's still called the Ringmahon Road :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Instead of making already narrow roads nigh on impassable, the council might want to think about better street signs. So many of the Cork roads don't seem to have street signs and those that are in place are in such poor condition, they might as well not be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

A bit like the pavement widening exercise by the bus station. Mayhem awaits!

I've tried MacCurtain to avoid the bus station stretch, big mistake!

Most footpath widening makes the road "exact width" for cars but jesus did anyone think about how far the bus has to swing out to make the turn into the station :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its just down the road from the CSO if you're heading back into Mahon.

Where the old stone bridge in the park leads down into Aldi, I thought they were making it a zebra crossing but it looks to be a widening of the path more so.

Its very difficult for 2 cars to pass now with the fences and cones on the road, its stupid really.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its just down the road from the CSO if you're heading back into Mahon.

Where the old stone bridge in the park leads down into Aldi, I thought they were making it a zebra crossing but it looks to be a widening of the path more so.

Its very difficult for 2 cars to pass now with the fences and cones on the road, its stupid really.

Just noticed this morning, the kerb of the new footpath almost reaches the white lines in the middle of the road…seems really daft (and dangerous!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Bring it on. The more cycle lanes and wide footpaths the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Bring it on. The more cycle lanes and wide footpaths the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree….shame it's at the expense of road safety. I've no idea how two cars/car and bus/lorry etc can pass each other by safely. And if a cyclist was using this stretch of road, they would certainly be at risk.

I agree….shame it's at the expense of road safety. I've no idea how two cars/car and bus/lorry etc can pass each other by safely. And if a cyclist was using this stretch of road, they would certainly be at risk.

Chances are that the footpath is being widened to accommodate a cycle lane, like they've done on Anglesea Street.

Chances are that the footpath is being widened to accommodate a cycle lane, like they've done on Anglesea Street.

That would make sense….but it's two fingers to car/public transport users :rolleyes:

That would make sense….but it's two fingers to car/public transport users :rolleyes:

No harm to make the cars slow down a bit.

True…but surely the entire path would need to be widened? Not just that bit? Anyway…am off to drive slowly past again ….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

They must be made of money to do these kinds of vanity projects. Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Be no harm to do a safety campaign to get cyclists to actually stop at red lights and to stop doing crazy moves such as undertaking traffic and weaving through traffic.

• Advertisement

I know it's Friday but this thread is on road improvement (or otherwise) not on cars v cyclists ......let's get back on topic please as I'd like a quiet weekend :)

Be no harm to do a safety campaign to get cyclists to actually stop at red lights and to stop doing crazy moves such as undertaking traffic and weaving through traffic.

Sweeping generalisations :rolleyes:

Andip wrote: »
    I know it's Friday but this thread is on road improvement (or otherwise) not on cars v cyclists ......let's get back on topic please as I'd like a quiet weekend :)

Sorry....am I talking to myself here ? Any more cyclist v cars and there'll be weekend bans....I seriously want a quiet weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Now I really think there's a cycle lane incorporated into the new footpath.

10552010454_663b3b2b8b_z.jpg
    Untitled by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

Also - new bus stop heading from Patrick St to the Bus station. I'm not sure what it's for - do busses go outbound past there?

10552011584_0f60e5b4f1_z.jpg

deRanged wrote: »
    Now I really think there's a cycle lane incorporated into the new footpath.

10552010454_663b3b2b8b_z.jpg

Also - new bus stop heading from Patrick St to the Bus station. I'm not sure what it's for - do busses go outbound past there?

10552011584_0f60e5b4f1_z.jpg

They've made a very good job of that. Credit where it's due to the City Council. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Glad to see that cycle lane joins the foothpath.

It should slow the cyclists down as they come to the lights and give them less incentive to run red light, endangering themselves and others.

I still reckon it'll go the way of the one of the lane approaching Mahon Point and start to crumble from lack of use and the sitting water freezing and thawing in winter.

Unless they finally get around to bringing in those blue rental bikes like in Dublin and most other large cities, at least then it won't be an absolute waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Glad to see that cycle lane joins the foothpath.

It should slow the cyclists down as they come to the lights and give them less incentive to run red light, endangering themselves and others.

I still reckon it'll go the way of the one of the lane approaching Mahon Point and start to crumble from lack of use and the sitting water freezing and thawing in winter.

Unless they finally get around to bringing in those blue rental bikes like in Dublin and most other large cities, at least then it won't be an absolute waste.

Due next year - it is expected that Cork City will have 300 bikes with 25 docking stations around the city centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I fail to see the point of the cycling lane. Within a fortnight cyclists'll be complaining about the state of it, and they'll be back on the road. Or back on the footpath, as happens almost exclusively down in Mahon. The last time I saw a cyclist down there - which isn't very often, I might add - he was on the footpath on the wrong side of the road. Biggest waste of road I've ever seen, in a place that could seriously use more road for lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

What they have done/are doing is dangerous for cars, hopefully no one will get knocked down there when they have finished.

They should concentrate on the Aldi junction which was never completed to turn into the Aldi park, and also that failure of a junction at the 'dogs home' where the road markings are just wrong.

Their 'fix' for that was to put a blue direction sign on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

This is all part of the preperation for Cork Bikes to be introduced next year I presume.

Advertisement