Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More road 'improvements'??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

CHealy wrote: »
    This is all part of the preperation for Cork Bikes to be introduced next year I presume.

As cyclists are now no longer legally obliged to use cycle lanes many no longer do as must of them tend to be badly maintained and have street furniture in them though the newer ones may be better designed. They will be of use to the cycle scheme users of course.

I was only thinking this morning, the single best things they could do in the city centre for the safely of all is enforce the 30km speed limit and police the blocking of box junctions and breaking of red lights. Some of the crap I saw today, in the rain, would make your hair curl including a bloke driving, at considerable speed, the wrong-way up Marlboro Street and then up Oliver Plunkett Street after it was pedestrianized.

It's not the infrastructure that needs improvement - it's the law enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Anyone see the new cycle lane across from the bus station. Heading from the bridge towards city hall. It's feckin wider than the left car lane they left. It gradually comes out into the middle of the lane away from the footpath and has continuos lines and just stops 5 metres before the traffic lights. Where are cars supposed to go?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Days 298 wrote: »
    Anyone see the new cycle lane across from the bus station. Heading from the bridge towards city hall. It's feckin wider than the left car lane they left. It gradually comes out into the middle of the lane away from the footpath and has continuos lines and just stops 5 metres before the traffic lights. Where are cars supposed to go?:confused:

Thought the same yesterday when I drive that way!

There's a massive pothole on Ballinlough Road, when turning left from Churchyard Lane (outside the funeral home).

I think I wrecked my tyre....can't face looking now.

But glad to see that they seem to have built half a cycle lane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There's a massive pothole on Ballinlough Road, when turning left from Churchyard Lane (outside the funeral home).

I think I wrecked my tyre....can't face looking now

I drive a jeep & buckled a wheel on that one

Andip wrote: »
    I drive a jeep & buckled a wheel on that one

Have just written to the Council :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

They've made a very good job of that. Credit where it's due to the City Council. Well done.

It was outside contractors who did the actual work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Glad to see that cycle lane joins the foothpath.

It should slow the cyclists down as they come to the lights and give them less incentive to run red light, endangering themselves and others.
    I'd expect having the cycle lane as part of the foot path means that a lot of cyclists will opt not to use it. Especially if it is raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Knasher wrote: »
    I'd expect having the cycle lane as part of the foot path means that a lot of cyclists will opt not to use it. Especially if it is raised.

True, which makes it a bit pointless and counter-productive.

Plus inevitably you'll have people walking in the cycle lanes next to the paths, and the rare cyclist who uses the lane will bump into them leading to (complaints about cyclists zooming down footpaths / complaints about pedestrians blocking the cycle lanes).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Id expect now that the cycle path is part of the footpath more pedestrians will walk on it as seems the norm.

Thought the same yesterday when I drive that way!

I think I wrecked my tyre....can't face looking now.

But glad to see that they seem to have built half a cycle lane

Just a good news story! I emailed and called the City Council regarding the above pothole - and it's been filled in!!!!
    I am not taking credit at all, as I am quite sure I was not the only person this affected - but just glad to see job done!:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Knowing Cork City Council, it's probably been filled with Rich Tea biscuits and sugary tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Sweeping generalisations :rolleyes:

Yet you think its fine to make sweeping generalisations about drivers ? Nothing I hate more than hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Yet you think its fine to make sweeping generalisations about drivers ? Nothing I hate more than hypocrisy.

Wow. Took you a fair while to come back with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Driving along Merchants Quay tonight and passed the roadworks where they're widening the path and making a cycle lane.

Whilst sitting in traffic, I noticed there'll be a loading bay right opposite the back entrance. Can you imagine the fun with that? People will be taking the p1ss with that left, right and centre! People genuinely trying to load won't be able to get in...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Just a good news story! I emailed and called the City Council regarding the above pothole - and it's been filled in!!!!
    I am not taking credit at all, as I am quite sure I was not the only person this affected - but just glad to see job done!:D:D:D
    And it's already starting to sink!

suds1984 wrote: »
    And it's already starting to sink!

Aw no dammit! And here I was all excited......

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Aw no dammit! And here I was all excited......
    Ya I know it's just frustrating that a pothole can't even be repaired proper! Same coming from douglas, just before you turn right onto the Well rd. Filled in but sinking already!

suds1984 wrote: »
    Ya I know it's just frustrating that a pothole can't even be repaired proper! Same coming from douglas, just before you turn right onto the Well rd. Filled in but sinking already!

Yes....got a teeth-rattling jolt from that one too:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

It's got to be over the up coming election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Resurfaced nearly the whole of Washington st the other night didn't think the whole lot needed to be done.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    Resurfaced nearly the whole of Washington st the other night didn't think the whole lot needed to be done.

Feck it...we were only looking for a bucketful on the ballinlough rd!

Wow. Took you a fair while to come back with that one.

Welcome to my ignore list.

IMO, the amount of money being wasted at the moment alter junctions, widening paths (which are already wide enough) is just crazy.

There was 2 winters there which literally destroyed road surfaces all over the city. It would be much better money spent to actually resurface roads that need resurfacing instead of wasting cash on double paths which are already 3 meters wide and replacing roundabouts with signalised junctions which don't need replacing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Andip wrote: »
    Seems to be the norm at the moment and presume it's the same thinking as the boreenmanna / skehard road (dis)improvement. Footpaths seem to be way out of proportion to the roads. The new corner from the Well road onto churchyard lane is so wide you could hold a street party on it

Turning from Churchyard Lane onto the Well Road, heading towards Skehard Road, is almost impossible to do without crossing over to the wrong lane briefly :mad:. The footpath at that corner is ridiculously wide and angled. You have to wait until there's no traffic coming in either direction to safely pull out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Welcome to my ignore list.

:D

Is it that difficult to write "Welcome to my ignore list" without having to edit and correct it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Only been here a few years but Dennehy's Cross is a nightmare and the Wilton Road up to the roundabout as pockmarked as I've seen anywhere in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Why o why do they waste so much money on one project and let 98% of everything else go to hell .
    Not all roads need much but I would like to see them putting a bit more into repainting the white lines as sometime all you have to go on in these dark nights is a bit of guess work and memory.
    Silver Springs to Mansfield cross is one example and don't mention the Dunkettle roundabout by the tunnel !

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Only been here a few years but Dennehy's Cross is a nightmare and the Wilton Road up to the roundabout as pockmarked as I've seen anywhere in a long time.

Didn't help when they decided to turn one of the lanes into a bus lane. Saves the bus nothing but blocks the whole place up twice as easily.

They really should resurface and improve the grip on the N22 around Douglas. There seems to be an accident there every week.

IMO, Dennehys Cross could easily be improved by turning it into a roundabout.

This will never happen though due to government policy. The plan soon is to dig up the Wilton Roundabout and replace it with more traffic lights. A crazy decision which will do nothing but cause traffic chaos in both Wilton and Bishopstown.

• Advertisement

IMO, Dennehys Cross could easily be improved by turning it into a roundabout.

This will never happen though due to government policy. The plan soon is to dig up the Wilton Roundabout and replace it with more traffic lights. A crazy decision which will do nothing but cause traffic chaos in both Wilton and Bishopstown.

Why!? What's wrong with the roundabout?

Advertisement