Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More road 'improvements'??

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

rovoagho wrote: »
    I vote for driving on the lovely new footpaths. Pedestrians and cyclists can have the roads.

Isn't that just an average day in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Days 298 wrote: »
    Let's turn Patrick street into a dual carriage way :D

North Main Street could have 3 lanes.

Let's just ban pedestrians before 9 o clock and from 4-5. :D

It wasn't that long ago that Patrick Street was dual carriageway from Brown Thomas to Patricks Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

It wasn't that long ago that Patrick Street was dual carriageway from Brown Thomas to Patricks Bridge.

Possibly had less number of potholes though......now we have more potholes than road:(

Another beaut.....drove past O'Sullivans chemist on the Ballinlough road and the road to the left (before O'Driscolls) seems to be in the process of being resurfaced. It's a cul de sac - used only by the residents!
    Meanwhile, in the Well Road...potholes are reforming.
    Douglas is a joke -people are swerving to avoid dips in the road surface.
    Who lives down this road to warrant such improvements?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Another beaut.....drove past O'Sullivans chemist on the Ballinlough road and the road to the left (before O'Driscolls) seems to be in the process of being resurfaced. It's a cul de sac - used only by the residents!
    Meanwhile, in the Well Road...potholes are reforming.
    Douglas is a joke -people are swerving to avoid dips in the road surface.
    Who lives down this road to warrant such improvements?

Probably a politician or a councillor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Driving along Merchants Quay tonight and passed the roadworks where they're widening the path and making a cycle lane.

Whilst sitting in traffic, I noticed there'll be a loading bay right opposite the back entrance. Can you imagine the fun with that? People will be taking the p1ss with that left, right and centre! People genuinely trying to load won't be able to get in...

I think that might actually be a bike bay for the new public bike scheme that's coming on stream next year. The main one is supposed to be around there and with the addition of that cycle lane and widening of the footpath it would make sense to me. Just guessing though - wouldn't surprise me too much if some genius had decided on a loading bay there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Washington street is pretty narrow now out past the courthouse since they made room for the cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

They seem to be doing work down by Proby's Quay/Bishops Street (by Saint Finn Barre's Cathedral) tonight

Looks like it might just be just resurfacing, but if they're removing the parking in favor of more vanity projects,
    then funerals and the school drop off on that street will become a lot more interesting.

Par for the course at the moment-the resurfacing off the Ballinlough road, near o'driscolls is a joke! Apologies for mentioning again, but it is astounding! Who lives down this cul de sac to warrant such road improvements? I would just love to know to have some knowledge when the next council elections go ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Was in Driscolls the other day wondering the same thing. Councillor? High-ranking Garda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

OK, slightly off topic, but what are those eejits in the council after doing to the lights by Woodies on Kinsale Rd? I presume they changed the timings, because for the last two weeks traffic in the morning is backing up big time towards the roundabout from that junction, where there wasn't a huge issue before. Yesterday, it was backed up right to the roundabout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Anyone else noticing all these things?
    Wonder what result will be?

More incompetence from incompetent traffic planners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Anyone else noticing all these things?
    Wonder what result will be?

Can't remember the name on the unit they're attached to,
    but they only measure the type and volume of traffic on certain roads,
    they've appeared around December for the past few years.

Nothing to do with speed detection either as has been claimed in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Can't remember the name on the unit they're attached to,
    but they only measure the type and volume of traffic on certain roads,
    they've appeared around December for the past few years.

Nothing to do with speed detection either as has been claimed in previous years.

Across the Christy Ring bridge too - I've lost count of the number of people I've seen trip or stumble over them on the pavements either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

They seem to be doing work down by Proby's Quay/Bishops Street (by Saint Finn Barre's Cathedral) tonight

Looks like it might just be just resurfacing, but if they're removing the parking in favor of more vanity projects,
    then funerals and the school drop off on that street will become a lot more interesting.

Crazy stuff. That section of road was near perfect. I have no idea why they are resurfacing it.

Anyone else see the crash outside Boston scientific this morning. That junction needs to be widened and filter lights installed. Or else a decent sized roundabout. It was only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

There are crashes there regularly. And there are filter lights already. Must be at least one a month that I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

When completed - I don't think cars will be able to pass each other safely.

Wing mirrors in

not a bother for real (men) drivers;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see Washington street west made the front of the echo yesterday,the place is a disaster.

ofcork wrote: »
    I see Washington street west made the front of the echo yesterday,the place is a disaster.

Thats what I thought. Just why? So many better things that money could be spent on. Washington street traders will suffer. Soon every road will be narrow :(. The council "Fixing things that arent broken and not having the budget to fix broken things"

bk would have you believe the exact opposite, apparently because all motorist are speeders.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87932823&postcount=9

ofcork wrote: »

Washington street is going to be brilliant when it's finished - if parking etc is enforced - a proper 21st century cityscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

rovoagho wrote: »
    bk would have you believe the exact opposite, apparently because all motorist are speeders.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87932823&postcount=9

His point is valid. The main focus of the City Council should be towards discouraging motorists from using the main city centre thoroughfares. I look forward to the day when Patrick Street is pedestrianised, except for buses and cyclists.

evilivor wrote: »
    Washington street is going to be brilliant when it's finished - if parking etc is enforced - a proper 21st century cityscape.

Why? Are there a few €2 shops and cash for golds setting up there. Or are some shops closing. Not a good sign if traders are complaining. And I think they would all be for increased footfall.

Why? Are there a few €2 shops and cash for golds setting up there. Or are some shops closing. Not a good sign if traders are complaining. And I think they would all be for increased footfall.

Footfall. There you have the word at the crux of it.

Well the new bicycle lane on Washington street is being used by taxis and cars for parking, making the road even narrower for commuters in car and bike alike. Brilliant . When the bus pulls up to their stop they dont keep in and make the car lane really narrow. All in all, money down the drain. Should have fixed the drainage on the south link. 100km/h road whose right hand lane holds water :rolleyes:. Maybe repaint the white lines on roads so drivers stop encroaching on the opposite sides lane for no reason forcing others in towards the curb. Fix the timing lights on pedestrian lights so people dont cross too late.

Advertisement