Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Options

Comments

Is the Bulls/Heat game on any channel over here?

A great opening night.

Had a little wager aswell on Pacers(-10), Clippers (-4) and the Bulls to win.
    Might have to take college off the following day :D.

Very interested to see how the Clippers go under Rivers, I think they may have given up a bit too much for him but it's done now.

My view on it is with a center so poor at shooting free throws, it limits how much use you can get off him on the offensive boards.
    This in turn limits second chance opportunities and you're scoring efficiency then needs to be pretty high as the opponents are almost certainly going to have a far higher number of scoring opportunities.
    In short, all the coaching in the world can't change the fact that Jordans FT limitations are causing problems in other parts of the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Is the Bulls/Heat game on any channel over here?

Looks like there's a free trial on nba.tv for the first few days of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Was just about to start this thread! :) Looking forward to what should be a great season. Haven't really been paying much attention to the preseason but have been listening to Skeets and Tas this week. Have to say I really missed their banter during the offseason :) Should be a terrible year for my Suns. Eric Beldsoe is our best player on paper which isn't really saying much. Alex Len looks like a promising talent for the future but he'll take time to develop. Heck though next years draft looks phenomenal so maybe bright things are on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looks like Noah could be out of Tuesday's opener. In the past, I think Thibs would have thrown him in even if he was 70%, but apparently the organisation as a whole are putting more emphasis on health this year so I wouldn't be surprised to see players like Noah used more sparingly to be fully ready come playoff time.

• Advertisement

Was just about to start this thread! :) Looking forward to what should be a great season. Haven't really been paying much attention to the preseason but have been listening to Skeets and Tas this week. Have to say I really missed their banter during the offseason :) Should be a terrible year for my Suns. Eric Beldsoe is our best player on paper which isn't really saying much. Alex Len looks like a promising talent for the future but he'll take time to develop. Heck though next years draft looks phenomenal so maybe bright things are on the horizon.

Suns just acquired Okafor and the Wizards 1st rounder in 2014 in exchange for Gortat, Brown, Lee and Marshall. What do you think of the trade?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It's nice that we're building up a nice little arsenal of first rounders for next years draft but worryingly they're all lottery protected essentially! Also we never really gave Marshall a chance, it wasn't really going to happen though seeing as we have Bledsoe and Goran Dragic already on the team. It's sad to see Gortat go but at least Len will get some much needed experience! :) Okafor is clearly in the deal just to make up the numbers and meet any salary cap obligations, Phoenix will probably try to move him on too!

For the Wizards it's obviously a massive win. Gortat is a seriously underrated center to be honest, he'll do great scoring in there. They're planning to waive the rest they acquired according to ESPN, would seriously consider keeping Marshall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Hi lads, just thought I led those of you who didn't know that a boards.ie fantasy basketball league is being run this year. Here is a link to the thread.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87202525#post87202525 Draft time will be either tonight, or tomorrow night. Join up!

Paully D wrote: »
    Looks like Noah could be out of Tuesday's opener. In the past, I think Thibs would have thrown him in even if he was 70%, but apparently the organisation as a whole are putting more emphasis on health this year so I wouldn't be surprised to see players like Noah used more sparingly to be fully ready come playoff time.

Looking forward to this now. The team looks great in pre-season. Rose showing no after-effects from the ACL injury. I'm seeing a bit more maturity in his play since he came back. Not that he was immature before, but instead of trying to beat the other team offensively on his own, I see him looking up more and making more passes.

When he's running a fast-break, you see him looking up as he's running it, seeing if there's a pass ahead. Same when he's driving into the lane, looking to pass more often. It's potentially devastating because he can still score just as well as before, so he still draws all that attention, and can find players wide open.

The game-winner last night against the Nuggets was him driving into the lane, you're expecting him to go up in traffic, but at the top of the key, he finds Boozer cutting along the baseline for a layup.

And he's not favouring the pass either, so you play the pass and he'll beat you one-on-one, but he's just developing a more rounded game.

I like the balance in the roster, Jimmy fills the hole at the 2 very well, I think Deng is happier playing off the ball than he was last year. We should get more out of Hinrich this year off the bench (can fill in at 1 or 2, and shouldn't get injured as much). Mike Dunleavy looks a good addition, can play a couple of different spots, brought in for shooting, but also seems a good passer. Taj seems to have improved his game over the off-season. Slight concern is Noah starting the year injured and front-court depth, but think they're just being precautionary.

Note on the rookie Tony Snell, seen him now in the pre-season games, and I still really like him. Multi-skilled....good ball-handler, can pass well, can shoot. Long arms make him very versatile defensively. Seems to have a very good court sense, you see it in the passes he makes, that he sees the floor well. Good character guy as well, when someone falls down, he's nearly always first over helping them up. His jump-shot hasn't been great in pre-season, but I think he shot well in college, so that can be worked on. I hope he gets some decent minutes because Thibs doesn't have a habit of playing rookies much, but I think he can really be developed into a useful player.

I think the team is a legit title contender this year, and I'm expecting them to win on Tuesday, even if Noah doesn't play.

Prediction time lads.

Playoff teams:

East: 1) Bulls 2) Heat 3) Pacers 4) Knicks 5) Wizards 6) Cavaliers 7) Nets 8) Hawks
    West: 1) Clippers 2) Thunder 3) Rockets 4) Spurs 5) Warriors 6) Grizzlies 7) Timberwolves 8) Trail Blazers

Surprise team (good): Wizards
    Flop team: Nets

Champions: Bulls over Clippers

MVP: Derrick Rose
    Rookie of the Year: Victor Oladipo
    Defensive Player of the Year: Dwight Howard
    Sixth Man of the Year: Jamal Crawford
    Comeback Player of the Year: Derrick Rose (John Wall if it was to be someone who I haven't picked for something else)
    Coach of the Year: Doc Rivers
    Executive of the Year: Daryl Morey

• Advertisement

East : 1. Bulls, 2. Pacers, 3. Heat, 4. Knicks, 5. Nets, 6. Cavaliers, 7. Wizards, 8. Pistons
    West : 1. Clippers, 2. Spurs, 3. Rockets, 4. Thunder, 5. Warriors, 6. Timberwolves, 7. Grizzlies, 8. Mavs

Surprise team(good) Mavs
    Flop team: Nuggets

Champions : Rockets over Bulls

MVP: Chris Paul
    ROY: Victor Oladipo
    DPOY: Lebron James
    6th man: Jarett Jack
    Comeback POY: Dirk Nowitzki
    Most Improved: Anthony Davis
    Coach of the year: Doc Rivers
    Exec. of year: Daryl Morey

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ok, a couple of caveats on this. I'm making these based on all teams and players going injury free, which of course won't happen.

MVP Kevin Durant. Hear me out on this one. Firstly, he shot 50-40-90 last year (which is insane) and became only the sixth player to join that club and he did it with the second highest ever ppg output after Larry Bird. He was only pipped at the post for a fourth scoring title by Melo in the last few games of the scoring title (which would have been his 4th straight). His defence and his rebounding have improved, as have his steals and assists per game. Throw in the fact that Westbrook will be out until Christmas means he'll have most of the offence running through him and he could really be the runaway leader in the scoring title by Christmas. I'm not saying he's better than LeBron, but LeBron will likely suffer some voter fatigue this year as he did in the year Rose won and that coupled with Durant's output I think will push Durant over the line.
    Coach of the Year This one is always a lottery, but I'm going to go with Mark Jackson or Eric Spoelstra on the sympathy vote for the last two titles.
    Defensive Player of the Year Now that he's not sulking it'll likely be Dwight Howard.
    Most Improved Player Eric Bledsoe, partly as he'll see so much more minutes and the ball than he did last year.
    Rookie of the Year Given the amount of injuries to the Top 10 picks in this bracket I think there are only two real contenders - Victor Oladipo and Kelly Olynyk. Both will get big minutes this year (crucial for any ROY candidate) and both have the game to impress. I think Oladipo's stats will be better as he's playing a relatively easier position to shine in and the offence will be going through him but as a Boston fan I'm excited by what I've seen of Olynyk. Oladipo will win the award I think, but my money is n Olynyk to have a better NBA career.
    Sixth Man Award going to put a cat amongst the pigeons on this one and go for AK47 (if he gets enough minutes) or Tyreke Evans (if Evans plays the 6th Man role)
    Eastern Conf. Champs Chicago if they stay healthy. Next up Indiana. Then The Nets or the Heat.
    Western Conf. Champs GSW if they stay healthy - yes, I'm serious! Next up the Spurs, then OKC, then Houston. No team needs all their team healthy more than GS for this to happen but I genuinely think they have a shot if they do. The thing that gives them the edge over SA is youth and legs. I think OKC have blown their chance with the Harden trade, I really do.

Think that's it! I await the derision......;)

Ok, a couple of caveats on this. I'm making these based on all teams and players going injury free, which of course won't happen.

MVP Kevin Durant. Hear me out on this one. Firstly, he shot 50-40-90 last year (which is insane) and became only the sixth player to join that club and he did it with the second highest ever ppg output after Larry Bird. He was only pipped at the post for a fourth scoring title by Melo in the last few games of the scoring title (which would have been his 4th straight). His defence and his rebounding have improved, as have his steals and assists per game. Throw in the fact that Westbrook will be out until Christmas means he'll have most of the offence running through him and he could really be the runaway leader in the scoring title by Christmas. I'm not saying he's better than LeBron, but LeBron will likely suffer some voter fatigue this year as he did in the year Rose won and that coupled with Durant's output I think will push Durant over the line.
    Coach of the Year This one is always a lottery, but I'm going to go with Mark Jackson or Eric Spoelstra on the sympathy vote for the last two titles.
    Defensive Player of the Year Now that he's not sulking it'll likely be Dwight Howard.
    Most Improved Player Eric Bledsoe, partly as he'll see so much more minutes and the ball than he did last year.
    Rookie of the Year Given the amount of injuries to the Top 10 picks in this bracket I think there are only two real contenders - Victor Oladipo and Kelly Olynyk. Both will get big minutes this year (crucial for any ROY candidate) and both have the game to impress. I think Oladipo's stats will be better as he's playing a relatively easier position to shine in and the offence will be going through him but as a Boston fan I'm excited by what I've seen of Olynyk. Oladipo will win the award I think, but my money is n Olynyk to have a better NBA career.
    Sixth Man Award going to put a cat amongst the pigeons on this one and go for AK47 (if he gets enough minutes) or Tyreke Evans (if Evans plays the 6th Man role)
    Eastern Conf. Champs Chicago if they stay healthy. Next up Indiana. Then The Nets or the Heat.
    Western Conf. Champs GSW if they stay healthy - yes, I'm serious! Next up the Spurs, then OKC, then Houston. No team needs all their team healthy more than GS for this to happen but I genuinely think they have a shot if they do. The thing that gives them the edge over SA is youth and legs. I think OKC have blown their chance with the Harden trade, I really do.

Think that's it! I await the derision......;)

You forgot to predict a champion! I would have thought I would be the subject of the derision, picking Houston to win it all. I agree with a lot of your picks, and I think Durant could well win MVP this year. But where I would disagree with you is on Bledsoe. People have a warped view of him, as many only have seen him on the highlight real. The reality is, that when he got the starting gig in L.A when Paul went down, he was unimpressive. His court vision is poor for a point guard, and he relied on lobs to Griffen and Jordan to get his assists. He is a good perimeter defender and will get his fair share of outstanding dunks, but imo he is as of yet unproven. He may become a very good point guard, but I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

buyer95 wrote: »
    You forgot to predict a champion! I would have thought I would be the subject of the derision, picking Houston to win it all. I agree with a lot of your picks, and I think Durant could well win MVP this year. But where I would disagree with you is on Bledsoe. People have a warped view of him, as many only have seen him on the highlight real. The reality is, that when he got the starting gig in L.A when Paul went down, he was unimpressive. His court vision is poor for a point guard, and he relied on lobs to Griffen and Jordan to get his assists. He is a good perimeter defender and will get his fair share of outstanding dunks, but imo he is as of yet unproven. He may become a very good point guard, but I have my doubts.

Whoops! Chicago as champs.

On Bledsoe, I hear you, just think the Suns will be so poor that he'll have a huge opportunity to pad his stats by being the best player on a poor team.

Most improved is difficult to gauge - do you go with someone like a Top 5 pick who played poorly previously but is now delivering or do you go for a late or undrafted player who is performing beyond all expectation. Tough one to call earlier than about mid-season in fairness.

Paully D wrote: »
    Prediction time lads.

Playoff teams:

East: 1) Bulls 2) Heat 3) Pacers 4) Knicks 5) Wizards 6) Cavaliers 7) Nets 8) Hawks
    West: 1) Clippers 2) Thunder 3) Rockets 4) Spurs 5) Warriors 6) Grizzlies 7) Timberwolves 8) Trail Blazers

Surprise team (good): Wizards
    Flop team: Nets

Champions: Bulls over Clippers

MVP: Derrick Rose
    Sixth Man of the Year: Jamal Crawford
    Comeback Player of the Year: Derrick Rose (John Wall if it was to be someone who I haven't picked for something else)
    Coach of the Year: Doc Rivers
    Executive of the Year: Daryl Morey

Forgot to choose a Most Improved Player. For me that will be Jimmy Butler.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Playoff teams:

East: 1) Heat 2) Bulls 3) Pacers 4) Nets 5) Knicks 6) Cavaliers 7) Wizards 8) Hawks
    West: 1) Thunder 2) Rockets 3) Clipperss 4) Warriors 5) Spurs 6) Grizzlies 7) Nuggets 8) Pelicans

Surprise team (good): Pelicans
    Flop team: Lakers (too obvious?)

Champions
    : Bulls

MVP:
    Derrick Rose
    Sixth Man of the Year: : Harrison Barnes/Klay Thompson, depending on how they start lining out.
    Comeback Player of the Year: Greg Oden (now that's optimism)
    Coach of the Year: Thibs
    Executive of the Year: Masai Ujiri

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

What a line up tonight. Can't wait for tomorrow night too since I'll be in the Garden.

I'll just mention a couple categories since I'm not arsed with most of them.

Champions - Chicago Bulls

About time they had some luck in the Playoffs in relation to injuries unlike in the previous couple of years.

MVP - Derrick Rose

Stuck $100 on him being the regular season MVP @ 10/1 at any rate, my one and only season long bet in fact.

This was on the UK NBA facebook page today
    **UPDATE FOR UK FANS**

1- We are working tirelessly to secure a TV deal for you our fans. We will let you know more as soon as we can.

2- You can watch the first week of games live and on demand for FREE with NBA League Pass at http://on.nba.com/ViiLOa

3 - For the first time in the UK, we are planning on a weekly FREE streamed game. More info to come!

10 years ago today LeBron made his debut. Man, I feel old.

Not gonna pick the Bulls to win the East, feel like I might jinx them, but think they're contenders and it's very close between the Bulls, Heat, Nets & Pacers. Looking forward to the games between them during the season.

In the West, I kinda like the Clippers, big upgrade in the coaching department. Saw the Thunder in pre-season and didn't think they looked great at all without Westbrook. Durant looks as good as ever, but you wonder where the rest of the scoring is coming from. Think they could be a bit of a flop team (relatively speaking).

Big year for Dwight in Houston, no more excuses for him now.

Improved teams....Pistons in the East (Drummond for most improved player, Monroe should get his first all-star this year), Timberwolves in the West (good core, good coach, had a lot of injuries last year).

• Advertisement

Is the free league pass working for people atm? I just signed in and it keeps saying choose a payment plan, I select free trial, put in details then it says, that I already have signed up for the trial. Edit: All good, enjoying watching Paul George do his thing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Worst possible first possession for Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Responded pretty well, looks as explosive as ever

3 fouls on Deng and 2 on Butler after one quarter. That's going to be a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Refs seem very whistle happy against the Bulls!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Bulls are cold.

On a different note, Woj saying Westbrook could return in 2 weeks time. Great news if true and fully fit this time for OKC.

Great seeing Rose back, but team is a bit out of sync with the early foul trouble.

Tony Snell time!

Defensive giving up so many wide open 3's. Heat shooting 50% from 3 (5/10) so far. Very difficult to even stay close with that sort of percentage from the opposition.

On a similar note it looks like Dunleavy has won a competition to play for the Bulls tonight. Absolutely woeful so far.

Foul trouble is killing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Feel bad for flavor flav, thrown in at the deep end because Dunleavey is dog sh*t. Isolated against LeBron twice and missed three 3's so far.

• Advertisement

Heat shooting almost 60% from 3 now. :( In comparison, the Bulls:

BXyYhuBCMAILyCY.jpg

Advertisement