Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That was some dunk alright, nice pass too from Jennings.

As I predicted when Smith (in particular) and Jennings were signed, they would drive their teammates, coach and fans crazy with some of their play. Two ball-hogging, shoot first lefties with egos the size of the moon on the same team was IMO and remains a recipe for disaster. Those two alone would need an exceptionally strong coach to manage them, let alone try and build a team around.

That said, I do like watching Jennings, he can be very entertaining. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Paul George is definitely a superstar. He's at the very least the 3rd SF in this league .

If you had a choice of either George, Anthony or Pierce on your team this season. You'd take George, Don't deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

LeBron reported to be buying a share in David Beckham's new Miami MLS franchise. A good indication that he will be staying with the Heat.
    Paul George is definitely a superstar. He's at the very least the 3rd SF in this league .

If you had a choice of either George, Anthony or Pierce on your team this season. You'd take George, Don't deny it.

If age isn't a consideration, I'm taking Carmelo all day over George at this point in time. Pierce is all but finished.

There's a dearth of quality small forwards in the NBA these days, but just because the position is particularly weak doesn't make Paul George a superstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Paully D wrote: »
    LeBron reported to be buying a share in David Beckham's new Miami MLS franchise. A good indication that he will be staying with the Heat.

Really don't believe that will happen. Think about it, Beckham is Addidas' biggest ever endorser and LeBron is one of Nike's, a main partnership there would just not work. Haven't seen LeBron in any Warrior Liverpool gear for instance.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Really don't believe that will happen. Think about it, Beckham is Addidas' biggest ever endorser and LeBron is one of Nike's, a main partnership there would just not work. Haven't seen LeBron in any Warrior Liverpool gear for instance.

That's an interesting take, but I don't think it would stop this from happening. It's not as if they would be 50-50 partners and both running the team. LeBron likely just wants to diversify his business portfolio a bit (he already owns some sports stores and he and his wife are opening a juice bar soon too apparently) and sees this as a good investment. He'd likely be completely in the background, as one of numerous other people involved, and he'd have too much basketball stuff going on to be anything other than that.

There's definite interest between the two parties so it will be interesting to see how things progress:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/11/18/report-lebron-confirms-interest-in-teaming-with-beckham-for-soccer-franchise/
    There’s some interest on both sides,” James said Monday. “David has become a good friend of mine over the last few years. I think it’d be great for this city to have a football club for sure. So there’s interest on both sides. But it’s preliminary talks but there is an open dialogue.

James continued, saying the research is still being done on a team in Miami, but, “It could be huge, but you never know.”

“I think this is a great town for soccer. There’s a lot of soccer players here. A great youth of soccer players here and people love the city, so that would definitely help,” James said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I'm not really interested in pigeon-holing players in general, I'm only interested in this because of how it affects the Eastern conference championships, because historically very few teams have won championships without having a superstar player. And that’s been the Pacers problem in recent years, they’ve been a good team without a superstar, and for that reason have always come up short in the playoffs.

The question now is, which people seem to be making the case for, do they have a superstar player in Paul George? (because if they do, the Bulls have a problem, and that's where my interest lies)

My rough requirements for a superstar:

- capable of taking over a game offensively.
    - guy you can go to continually down the stretch to win the game for you.
    - player other teams will have special defensive plans for.

But I haven't seen that in Paul George. Solid offensive player as he is, I've never seen him take over a big game. I've never seen other teams have to make special defensive plans for him.

That's the crucial difference, because it's the difference between a playoff team and a team capable of winning a championship.

I don’t want to knock the guy, but I heard people saying this season that he’s made the jump offensively, and then I see him 2 games against one of his main playoff rivals, and he goes a combined 9-33 in those two games.

I heard he played well in his other games, but it's not the Pelicans and the Raptors he has to get past in the playoffs.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Kobe has been medically cleared, no timetable on his return according to NBATV.

Can see LBJ investing in Beckham's franchise but wouldn't take it as proof he's keeping his talents in South Beach. :rolleyes:

Just watched Clipps vs Memphis, big psychological win for the Grizz against a team they love to beat.

In other news, the Nets lose again. Will they be this years Lakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Nevaeh Nervous Lip

If the nets keep going like they are the cs could end up with 2 lottery picks happy days

So, the Blazers are 7-0. Props to them.

While elsewhere, Z-Bo still owns Griffin :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    So, the Blazers are 7-0. Props to them.

While elsewhere, Z-Bo still owns Griffin :)

Blake Griffin is a highlights reel and no more. Soft and simply not a stud. I would say over rated, but to be fair, he gets a lot of stick anyway

Kuddos to the Trailblazers and Phoenix Suns are doing good too

If the nets keep going like they are the cs could end up with 2 lottery picks happy days

Will the owner do an Abramoivich (NBA Style of Course)

Can't see why Nets fans would have jumped for joy to see an aging Pearse and Garnett (who still has it) coming to town.

Ah, they will be 4th or 5th seed.

Unless Pacers and Miami continue their good work, I see the Championship going West this season.

A career high 16 assists from Wall helped the Wizards overcome a 16 point deficit at half time against the Timberwolves. They were excellent in the second half, but Timberwolves just went ice cold for large amounts of it.

Less said about the Boston the better overall (but that 1st quarter was just... yeah.) Ditto Knicks :pac:

Can see LBJ investing in Beckham's franchise but wouldn't take it as proof he's keeping his talents in South Beach. :rolleyes:

Just watched Clipps vs Memphis, big psychological win for the Grizz against a team they love to beat.

In other news, the Nets lose again. Will they be this years Lakers?

Only got to see the Clippers game last night as Im a day behind waiting for the games to be uploaded.

I'd be a quote/unquote Clippers fan, it's like with Aussie Rules I have a slight edge towards Collingwood but in general I just love the sports.
    But I watch both teams schedules first and foremost.

Very frustrating watching the Clippers this year.
    Their bench is pathetic, no scoring from anywhere.

Crawford blows hot and cold but when he's cold he doesn't give up on shooting and he had one of his cold nights against Memphis.

They pulled themselves back into it heading into the last after poor shooting from Paul and Reddick.
    Jamal was playing PG as he usually does when CP3 is on the bench.
    On two occasions he did his pull up 3 with 20 seconds left on the shot clock.
    He did this numerous times last year aswell with little success, it's such a bad trait he has and it lead to Memphis getting a bit of a lead which they held onto.
    I don't see why he thinks pulling up for a fairly well contested 3 is a good option so early in a shot clock.
    Move the ball, see what happens and if ye can't work anything then take your an on the dribble and shoot a jumper. He does it far too often when a semi contested 3 should always be available at any point during the play.

The rest of the bench offer nothing though, Mullens just stands out waiting for 3s too little effect, Barnes hit 7/7 from the line I think but in general isn't a threat.
    Collision can't shoot the ball either and is 30%-30% from FG and 3s this year. I can't see how he was ever a starting PG as he's far weaker than a number of back up PG's with less rep.
    Dudley must be the weakest starter from all the play off contenders

Hollins, Green, Bullock all over little aswell.

I think Doc needs to try trade and get another rebounder or post player giving Collison or any of the other bench players(even Crawford could go, there's just too many shooters on the team with not enough down low)
    as teams like Memphis will kill them on the offensive boards and points in the paint.
    As of now, Jordan is the only one capable of rebounding and is 3rd in the league.
    Griffin plays too far away from the basket on offence and is only ever likely to grab his own miss.
    Then there's nothing coming off the bench to help on the glass and while Jordan is rebounding well, his post play just isn't good enough to survive as a long bona fide big man on a contender.

If Paul and Reddick have poor nights, it's a loss most games. The bench has to be one of the lowest scoring in the league so resting the starters sees the lead shrink meaning if those two are off form then there's nothing else coming on to make a difference.
    Jamal does have spurts but the Clippers just resort to Jamal isolation pull up jumpers and 3 pointers with the bench on.

It's abysmal stuff.

Championships are won off easy buckets.

I know it's only (lol) dunking and I know it's on a poor team but Gerald Green has thrown down some nasty dunks this year already.

In other news, I was reading about Dwayne Wade's reality/sitcom on si.com this morning. Can't imagine people will be queuing up to watch that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

I know it's only (lol) dunking and I know it's on a poor team but Gerald Green has thrown down some nasty dunks this year already.

He jumps so high. It's amazing to watch.

Puzzling that he was so bad in the dunk contest last year. Maybe he's just better at dunking in-game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Green is a perfect player for a tanking team like the Suns. Has nice highlight plays but doesn't know how to play winning basketball.

Just seen the repeat on NBA TV there. I can't remember seeing a basketball player an NBA player having such a terrible 4th quarter this season at least as Dragic did last night for the Suns. Truly unbelievable how awful he played. 5 turnovers, 4 missed shots and 3 fouls in the last 3.5 minutes of the game. Suns lost by 3 in the end to the Kings.

In other news, I was reading about Dwayne Wade's reality/sitcom on si.com this morning. Can't imagine people will be queuing up to watch that?

It is amazing how narasstic professional sports stars in America are.What is truely interesting or funny about his life and background that is so unique and different to the ordinary kid from the block who became a star?

I can only assume this will be a satisfied pat on the back story about how he fought for custody of his child and how he is a great father bla bla bla and didnt turn out like other guys who run a mile when their baby mama / bit on the side got preggers....

You can imagine the waffle that will come out of Steven A and Skip Bayless that that sista who presents theIR show..who will do the soundtrack?

Wha idiot came to him, or accepted this idea? Love yo have been a fly on the wall during that ass kissing discussion. Never held Wade out as a funny guy.cant wait for those Chris Bosh photo bombing scenes, on que canned laughter or LeBron doing a bill cosby

If this flys I want to see a situation comedy staring Kobie and Shaq (not really) or Isiah Thomas and Jordan with Magic as the peacemaker / Huggie Bear.

It is as bad as the idea of doing a show with JaVale McGee and his mother.

Things getting close in NY, IND 48 - NY 47 midway through the 3rd

• Advertisement

Overtime, Very close finish in the 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Clutch by Paul George

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ya Paul George isnt a superstar alright :pac:
    Absolutely brilliant stuff and great to get back to winning ways

Great result for The Pacers. 10 -1. Paul George an outstanding performance, 35 points. Clutch FTs and FGs, Showing any remaining doubters that he is a superstar.

LOL. Comments the moment the Pacers took the lead for the first time tonight, who'd have guessed it. :D

Anywhoo, as for the game, there were some positives for the Knicks to take from that. Despite being banged up and out of form, they pushed a very good Pacers team to the limit, and but for that real bonehead play from Shumpert, they won'd have won. Beno and Martin impressed as did Melo who had his best all round game this season. I'll console myself with my $110 on Pacers -6.5 cashing at least. Still shocked that cashed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Just looked at some stats on Houston v Dallas game, Harden was 6/14 fg, that's not that bad but 2/8 3pts and he takes the last 3pt shot of course, not making a big deal about it but he annoys me so much sometimes.

When Paul George starts doing that on a consistent basis, he'll be a superstar. Until then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

Grizzlies have rediscovered Grit N Grind. Held Warriors to 81 after overtime :eek:

Looks like Marcus Thornton of the Kings is on the trade block.
    Jimmer is getting his minutes even though Kings intend to let Fredette go at the end of the season.

Would be a nice pickup for someone.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    LOL. Comments the moment the Pacers took the lead for the first time tonight, who'd have guessed it. :D

Anywhoo, as for the game, there were some positives for the Knicks to take from that. Despite being banged up and out of form, they pushed a very good Pacers team to the limit, and but for that real bonehead play from Shumpert, they won'd have. Beno and Martin impressed as did Melo who had his best all round game this season. I'll console myself with my $110 on Pacers -6.5 cashing at least. Still shocked that cashed :pac:

30 points + and 18 rebounds , 18!, from Melo, and the rest of his team mates still can't man up and get a win! If I was him I would be checking out of NYC ASAP (normally I hate his shoot on ****e attitude)

If you look at the box score, all those misses, Knicks might have pulled it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Fair play, but the Knicks minus Tyson Chandler isn't really where the bar is.

I watched the first half of the game last night, and saw the highlights of the rest today, and Shumpert kinda bailed them out in that last play. Unfortunate for him because he seemed to be defending George well in the first half.

Give George credit for taking the last shot, and taking on the responsibility in overtime, because that's one of the criteria, that he's a go-to guy, but it's not the only one. You need to score efficiently, and you need to do it against the better teams. Pacers fans might I'm nit-picking here, but the main point of the superstar is that they're the difference-maker between two good teams, so last night's game doesn't answer the question.

I'm looking at the Pacers schedule, and they have a tasty road trip at the start of December....@Clippers, @Blazers, @Spurs, @Thunder. And then when they come home, they play the Heat home and road the following week.

Playoffs are the ultimate bar, but that stretch of games will give a good indication.

Advertisement