Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Mt Rushmore from my life time. I'm leaving out Bird and Magic because their careers were basically over by 1991.

So I'm going with Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James

Honorable mentions to:
    Duncan
    Olajuwon

Timmy beats Shaq, and a strong case could be made for him beating Kobe too. I don't even think the Duncan vs Shaq debate is a debate. Duncan might be the most fundamentally sound big man in the game's history. Shaq was a more physically dominant player, no question about it. On the other hand, Duncan killed defenders with precision and fundamentals. He doesn't tear down rims or knock guys over—he just picks them apart.

Some people would call Duncan's style boring. I call it beautiful.

Take a look at the numbers. Even if you take away Shaq's final seasons in Cleveland and Boston, the numbers still remain basically even. Duncan longevity though is what makes him greater than Shaq, he has been at the top for 13 seasons. The fact that he has won all his rings with the Spurs and didn't chase rings like Shaq is another reason I would give him the nod.
    I'm not questioning Shaq's greatness, more emphasing Duncan's, who many people don't appreciate nearly enough.

Woj reporting that Memphis and Minesota are discussing a trade package centred on Tayshaun Prince and Chase Buddinger.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Timmy beats Shaq, and a strong case could be made for him beating Kobe too. I don't even think the Duncan vs Shaq debate is a debate. Duncan might be the most fundamentally sound big man in the game's history. Shaq was a more physically dominant player, no question about it. On the other hand, Duncan killed defenders with precision and fundamentals. He doesn't tear down rims or knock guys over—he just picks them apart.

Take a look at the numbers. Even if you take away Shaq's final seasons in Cleveland and Boston, the numbers still remain basically even. Duncan longevity though is what makes him greater than Shaq, he has been at the top for 13 seasons. The fact that he has won all his rings with the Spurs and didn't chase rings like Shaq is another reason I would give him the nod.
    I'm not questioning Shaq's greatness, more emphasing Duncan's, who many people don't appreciate nearly enough.

you could argue shaq in for kobe though i still think having a modern one and an older one is cheating

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

They are two completely different players and people, almost opposite. If you could combine their abilities you'd have the the greatest players of all time.
    Shaq was a huge personality, He embraced the spotlight, Tim was the exact opposite, He was a very reserved personality, Shied away from fame.

A case could be made for either. Both are great players, depends on what you like

Rookie or the year
    Shaq 93, Tim 98

Championships
    Shaq 4, Tim 4

All Stars
    Shaq 15, Tim 14

All NBA 1st teams
    Shaq 8, Tim 10

The only real difference is Tim was a better defender, But Shaq was a better scorer, Tim has the All NBA defensive 1st teams, But Shaq has scoring championship.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Sounds like Russ will be back for the game against Miami on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

From ESPN
    The Brooklyn Nets are interested in acquiring Cavaliers point guard Jarrett Jack and have had discussions about a potential trade with Cleveland involving Jason Terry, according to sources briefed on the talks.

The Nets (24-27) emerged from the All-Star break sitting 3½ games behind the Atlantic Division-leading Toronto Raptors and want to upgrade their bench and backcourt.

Jack, 30, is averaging just 8.5 points on 39.7 percent shooting in 25 minutes a game in his first season with the Cavs after a strong 2012-13 season with Golden State.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Nets, eager to add a proven ballhandler and backcourt scorer to their bench rotation, are willing to take on the two remaining guaranteed seasons worth in excess of $12 million left on Jack's contract despite the luxury-tax implications.

But it's believed that the Cavs, if they decided to go ahead with such a move, would try to find a third team to absorb Terry's contract. Terry, 36, has one season left on his deal after this one at $5.85 million and is averaging just 4.5 points on 36.2 percent shooting in 16 minutes per game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

D-Will for the amnesty block at $100 bazillion. Lol.

Chicago Bulls have signed Forward Jarvis Varnado to a 10-day contract on Tuesday.

Varnado, who plays for the Iowa Energy of the D League, worked out for Bulls officials in Chicago on Monday.

He's expected to travel for Chicago's game against the Toronto Raptors on Wednesday night.

Varnado is 6-foot-9, He's one of the best shot blockers in the D-League, averaging 4.7 blocks to go along with 14 points and 11 rebounds for Iowa this season.

1dlw.png

Back to the task at hand. Starting well at home in Indianapolis against the hawks

Aw beautiful fast bread finish by PG

20 - 5

• Advertisement

Steam rolling. 14 of 15

31 - 9

8th point lead at the half. Lead by as many as 22 but ended the half well on a 5 - 0 run

Pacers win. Relatively easy victory over ATL. Closed out by the bench in the 4th.

Raptors beat Wizards, Lowry 24 Pts, 10 Ast.

Cavs beat 76ers. Zeller 18 Pts, 15 Reb. Anthony Bennett with a double. :eek:

Hornets beat Pistons. Jefferson 32 Pts, 12 Reb, 7 Ast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Lebron pretty much unplayable tonight.
    Sits out the first 4 mins of the 4th. Carter with a 4-point play gives Dallas a 3 point lead.
    He rejoins the game, steals the ball from Marion, drains a three, drains another three, dunks. 5 point lead for the Heat.

Edit: He finishes with 42, 9 rebounds and 6 assists

And Birdman scored a three :D

Pacers win. Relatively easy victory over ATL. Closed out by the bench in the 4th.

Raptors beat Wizards, Lowry 24 Pts, 10 Ast.

Cavs beat 76ers. Zeller 18 Pts, 15 Reb. Anthony Bennett with a double. :eek:

Hornets beat Pistons. Jefferson 32 Pts, 12 Reb, 7 Ast
    They're still the bobcats until next season.

They're still the bobcats until next season.

Buzz
    charlotte-hornets-logo-11-1.jpg

Buzz
    charlotte-hornets-logo-11-1.jpg

They are still the Bobcats until next season. Posting next seasons logo is like posting Man Utd's jersey for next season. That may be what it will look like next year, but as of now they are the Bobcats.

Knicks apparently exploring trading Iman Shumpert to the Clippers for Collison. As infuriating as Shumpert undoubtedly is, he is still an asset with potential. Is Collison even that much of an upgrade over Felton?
    Zach Lowe
    The Knicks need to understand that as bad as Felton as been, Collison is not an upgrade worth giving up literally any asset.

Have to agree with Lowe's assesment. Dolan is seemingly desperate for a new point guard, and it appears only a matter of time before he makesn a boneheaded decision which he will regret a week later. Who'd be a Knick fan?

Deng out of Cleveland on the cards already…….reports out of the US indicate he's on the trade block already. Lol. Mike Brown take a bow…...

Deng out of Cleveland on the cards already…….reports out of the US indicate he's on the trade block already. Lol. Mike Brown take a bow…...

They know that there is zero chance of him resigning come the offseason. How long more can the Cav's continue to fail and Brown remain in the job? Who would sign for them in free agency with Brown as head coach. The guy is a spoofer of the worst kind, who only ever enjoyed success when he coached the best player on the planet. Once he losses his job here I hope he never gets a head coaching job in the NBA again.

• Advertisement

Brooks says Perkins will start against Miami tomorrow.

What a ****ing idiot.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Brooks says Perkins will start against Miami tomorrow.

What a ****ing idiot.

Cue Ade placing largest wager in sports history on Perkins getting "a Javale double double" (2 pts, 2 boards). :D

They know that there is zero chance of him resigning come the offseason. How long more can the Cav's continue to fail and Brown remain in the job? Who would sign for them in free agency with Brown as head coach. The guy is a spoofer of the worst kind, who only ever enjoyed success when he coached the best player on the planet. Once he losses his job here I hope he never gets a head coaching job in the NBA again.

Welcome to the party! I've been posting about Brown's BS for the last 4+years. The fact they re-hired him after previously sacking him is beyond stupid.

He didn't really have success with LeBron or Kobe. You could make a strong case that he underachieved with both. He's a complete fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

5 game win streak, everything good and then this..........:rolleyes:

Sacramento sends guard Marcus Thornton to the Brooklyn Nets for guard Jason Terry and forward Reggie Evans, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Cue Ade placing largest wager in sports history on Perkins getting "a Javale double double" (2 pts, 2 boards). :D

A few bob on Miami 1Q more like! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ah now if you wanted to win the draft, you could give him a year contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pacers (along with Detroit and Dallas) have enquired according to Woj.

Tis quiet here tonight. Just tuning into the Rockets @ Lakers game now. The Staples Center is booing the hell out of Howard, he's shown some good post moves so far though.

In trade news and speaking of the Lakers, they've traded Blake Mamba to the Warriors for Brooks and Bazemore. Pushes Crawford to back up shooting guard you'd imagine.

edit - LOL, just looking at the box scores for the early games, I can see why it's quiet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Looks like real superstar showed up in Minnesota tonight!!

Advertisement