Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Where's Nuri? Is he traveling back to NY or banned again? :D

Know it wasn't directed at me but the ? on Melo and the Bulls…..it could go well if he commits to Thibs style and defensive orientation. Him + Butler + Taj + Noah + Rose + others could be the foundation of a serious team with a realistic shot at the title.

BUT….I don't think Thibs would want, take or tolerate a player like Melo. Seriously. For all the reasons I've previously posted on the guy. I don't see it happening primarily for that reason, not financial or any other. Personally, I think it's more realistic to see him going to the Lakers. I saw the piece on Noah courting him today on si.com but I can't see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Where's Nuri? Is he traveling back to NY or banned again? :D

Know it wasn't directed at me but the ? on Melo and the Bulls…..it could go well if he commits to Thibs style and defensive orientation. Him + Butler + Taj + Noah + Rose + others could be the foundation of a serious team with a realistic shot at the title.

BUT….I don't think Thibs would want, take or tolerate a player like Melo. Seriously. For all the reasons I've previously posted on the guy. I don't see it happening primarily for that reason, not financial or any other. Personally, I think it's more realistic to see him going to the Lakers. I saw the piece on Noah courting him today on si.com but I can't see it.

Bulls are also in line to have a pretty good 1st round draft pick this year. They have the Hornets pick at 14 right now. Could be Dario Saric, Kyle Anderson, Maybe even James Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Question to a Bulls fan. What do you think of the possibility Carmelo might join the Bulls next season. Would he be a good fit in Chicago?

I think he's the very best free agent we can bring to Chicago without question and I would be very happy to get him on board. He doesn't come without his faults but lets face it, LeBron isn't coming to the Bulls and Melo is the second best free agent available in 2014.

I think it would work. Playing for a team with Thibs as coach and players like Noah, Butler, Gibson, Rose when he's healthy etc, who are so committed to playing hard in training and in games every night, I don't see how anyone can be around that sort of environment and not commit to playing both sides of the ball.

Unlike Butters above, I do think Thibs would take him on. He knows as well as anyone that a scorer is exactly what the Bulls are missing and the opportunity to get a scorer like Melo on board in free agency doesn't happen a lot.

However, I think this one comes down to money. I read that the Knicks can offer him $30m more than anyone else to stay in New York. On the Bulls side of things, even when they amnesty Boozer they are still about $7m short of what he would earn with the Knicks next season ($15m v $23m I think) and our front office are such a pain in the arse at times that they will do anything not to go into the luxury tax, even if it meant getting a player like Melo on board they will probably still try anything to avoid it.

As Noah reportedly said to him, if you want to win a ring and really want your legacy to be about winning then you choose Chicago over the Lakers, but although I'd be confident of Melo buying into the Bulls philosophy if he was to join up, I'm not sure he cares enough about winning to give up $30m.

I'm going to go against the reported press and say he turns down leaving to stay for extra money. I hope I'm wrong and he ends up in Chicago though!

Brilliant start in SA, Spurs dominating the opening peroid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Spurs are a joy to watch when in full flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

TIMMAH.

Could've done with going to bed an hour ago, ended up getting way too into this game.

Not sure if everyone else has gotten over this already, but I'm gonna go ahead and say it: I despise the Heat, and if That Guy found a cure for cancer in the morning, The Decision would be what I'd remember him for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Why aren't thunder supporting a jersey for whatever this week is like everyone else

Brilliant game here tonight. Important 3pt there at the end of the 3rd by Mills. Spurs lead by 8 with 1Q to go. They are going to have too come again to seal this win.

Soby wrote: »
    Why aren't thunder supporting a jersey for whatever this week is like everyone else

Los Sonics:D

Spurs lead by 15 midway through the 4th.

edit. Game over. Well done to the Spurs. And thank you on behalf of Pacernation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Spurs lead by 15 midway through the 4th.

edit. Game over. Well done to the Spurs. And thank you on behalf of Pacernation ;)

Looks like the refs heavily favoured the Spurs tonight.
    I suppose the Heat get enough their way at home too though.

Rose Report

Wow Clippers beat Lakers by 48 points

Gerald Green scores 41 points as the Suns beat OKC

benway wrote: »
    TIMMAH.

Could've done with going to bed an hour ago, ended up getting way too into this game.

Not sure if everyone else has gotten over this already, but I'm gonna go ahead and say it: I despise the Heat, and if That Guy found a cure for cancer in the morning, The Decision would be what I'd remember him for.
    Cavs fan?

TIMMAH.

Nice put and I agree with you, I posted on this a few weeks back.

One word: LEGACY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Seriously?

There's guys in the NBA today that have been arrested for things like domestic violence and rape, but you despise a guy who moved from one team to another team. :rolleyes:

Oh, btw, a LOT of players have changed teams in free agency too ;)

So, yeah, most non-Cavs fans got over it like, the day after.

BQQ wrote: »
    Seriously?

There's guys in the NBA today that have been arrested for things like domestic violence and rape, but you despise a guy who moved from one team to another team. :rolleyes:

Oh, btw, a LOT of players have changed teams in free agency too ;)

So, yeah, most non-Cavs fans got over it like, the day after.

I know that wasn't directed at me, but you don't have to be a Cavs fan to despise what LeBron did, and, and this is crucial - the way he did it.

Is it as bad as rape or domestic violence (way to escalate things btw!) or JJ Redick's Abortion Clause? Of course not. Is it despicable to some people? Yes. Will it affect his legacy? To some people - yes; to others, obviously not.

I know that wasn't directed at me, but you don't have to be a Cavs fan to despise what LeBron did, and, and this is crucial - the way he did it.

Is it as bad as rape or domestic violence (way to escalate things btw!) or JJ Redick's Abortion Clause? Of course not. Is it despicable to some people? Yes. Will it affect his legacy? To some people - yes; to others, obviously not.

Apparently it's a bigger deal than curing cancer?

Iv said this before the cavs would have had **** all success without him he dragged them to the playoffs with a poor supporting team and there was no sign of them bringing in a good no2 to help. The decision was a terrible idea but it was one mistake people need to get Over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

LBJ is ridiculously talented but it doesn't stop a person thinking he is an asshole, which he is.

• Advertisement

I think it's pretty sad to be still hating on Lebron at this point. He has established himself as the best player in the league and one of the top 10 greatest players of all time. We as a generation of NBA fans focus too much on criticizing Lebron, when we really should just be enjoying his game.

Even die hard Cavs fans have realized that they're wasting their time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Some interesting games tonight. I'll watch Bulls/Grizzlies at 12 and hopefully stay awake for the Pacers/Rockets later. I have seen very little of the Rockets this year, have you lads been impressed with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Paully D wrote: »
    Some interesting games tonight. I'll watch Bulls/Grizzlies at 12 and hopefully stay awake for the Pacers/Rockets later. I have seen very little of the Rockets this year, have you lads been impressed with them?

Haven't seen them that much, my impression when I saw them is that while they have decent talent now, they're not that well coached, saw a lot of iso plays going on offensively.

Maybe takes some time to integrate Howard properly, so they may have improved since I last saw them, but that was my impression. Tough place to go for the Pacers, all the same. Kind of an interesting matchup, they're a real run-and-gun team, which is a bit in contrast to the Pacers' style.

Difficult run of games for the Bulls between now to the end of March. Might be doing well to go .500 over that stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Hopefully Il still awake for the Bulls game tonight, I was at the Center to see them play the Cats, heres some pics, I realise they are from a couple months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

stuchyg wrote: »
    Hopefully Il still awake for the Bulls game tonight, I was at the Center to see them play the Cats, heres some pics, I realise they are from a couple months ago

Great pics, what was the score in the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Indie. wrote: »

Yeah Steven.A reporting that he was offered the coaching job 2 weeks ago, but unsurprisingly turned it down. Phil is on record saying that he has no interest in coaching again, so it hardly comes as a surprise that my lowly,shambolic, excuse for a team Knicks didn't make him consider his stance on not coaching again. However the New York Daily News have just broken a story reporting that in the last few hours he has been offered a top front office job with the Knicks. I would imagine he won't accept(Dolan is a cancer, and even a legend like Jackson would have to deal with incessant meddling), it would be a move in the right direction for the Knicks.

Paully D wrote: »

Haven't watched many rockets games either. but they were unreal against the Heat. I watched the 2nd half of the game and they were outstanding. James Harden is the best SG in this league. It will be very difficult for the Pacers to win tonight. Unless George steps up his game. That performance against the Bobcats was completely unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Not a Cavs fan, bona fide neutral. With a helping of "if you're just yelling to yell, pick an underdog". I approve this statement:

I think it's pretty sad to be still hating on Lebron at this point. He has established himself as the best player in the league and one of the top 10 greatest players of all time. We as a generation of NBA fans focus too much on criticizing Lebron, when we really should just be enjoying his game.
    I agree with all of that. For a second I was gonna take issue with top 10 of all time ... but he clearly is there or thereabouts. Mount Rushmore, not so much. As a fan of the game, I really should be able to get over it and just appreciate him for his undoubted talents. But I can't. I just can't.

I generally love watching the great players whoever they play for, however successful they are. Was out of my seat for Melo's 60, I root for KD every time ... Dirk, Nash, PG, Timmy and TP, Rose, CP, Iverson... Hell, even Kobe who's clearly a grade A asshole.

I do kinda wonder would I have been the same with Jordan and the mid-90s Bulls. Loved them at the time, but that was pre Youtube and League Pass, really didn't see all that much of them. But I actually just think it's this Heat squad (with the exception of Oden, who I really want to see succeed, and Birdman, who I've got an inexplicable liking for). Nowhere near the same level of dislike for, say, the Kobe Lakers or the Garnett Celtics.
    NufcNavan wrote: »
    LBJ is ridiculously talented but it doesn't stop a person thinking he is an asshole, which he is.

It's just everything about him. $500k investment for the birthday party. Calling himself King James before he'd won a ring. The man-child mindset. Joining Wade's team rather than leading his own. The time he got dunked on by a sophmore Jordan Crawford at the "LeBron James Skills Academy" and then had the tapes confiscated. Very effective. The way he runs a mile when there's even the slightest hint he might end up on the wrong end of a posterization. Take it like a man, Lebron. The flops. “I’m not making excuses, but I’m not a big fan of the jerseys”

Tbh, at this stage, I'm genuinely not even sure I enjoy watching his game on an objective level - he's clearly an athletic prodigy, lights out shooter, excellent passer, but there's something mechanical about him that leaves me cold.

Honestly, I still think of the 2011 finals as a victory of good over evil, That Guy and Wade do this, the Mavs do this, Dirk does this.

You do have to allow that he was ridiculously immature, having been promoted as the second coming since High School and coming straight into the bubble of being a top NBA star. And he does seem to have matured since the reality check in 2011. But I still don't think I'm ever going to be able to appreciate him. My loss, I guess. And that's another thing that annoys me about him.

Sorry to be the guy who lowers the tone and kicks off the That Guy conversation, but I needed to get that off my chest. I really should get over it. Thanks for listening ;)

Lebron is not Mount Rushmore - Top 4

But he is top 10 in my opinion.

Jordan
    Magic
    Kareem
    Bird
    Russell
    Chamberlain
    James
    Duncan
    O' Neal
    Bryant

• Advertisement

Lebron is not Mount Rushmore - Top 4

But he is top 10 in my opinion.

Jordan
    Magic
    Kareem
    Bird
    Russell
    Chamberlain
    James
    Duncan
    O' Neal
    Bryant

Wwwwwwwwhat? No Paul George? No Lance Stephenson? ;)

Advertisement