Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

D'Antoni never got to play with a full deck.
    He's actually made a bunch of Journeymen and D-leaguers watchable.

Truth is the Lakers won't win anything until Kobe retires and they can get a legitimate star to build around.
    That can't happen while he's still there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

The Lakers' problems are very fixable if they were run in the right way. They could bring in one or two top free agents, Add a top 5 2014 first round Draft pick and Kobe into that mix and you have a base to make a playoff return

The problem is, They are not run in the right way. Jim Buss is a disgrace to his father. Jerry Buss was one of the greatest owners of all time, His worthless son doesn't know what he's doing.

Kobe is the face of the franchise and he has earned the right to be consulted on Appointment, trades etc before they are made public, and he deserves a say in the running of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

The Lakers' problems are very fixable if they were run in the right way. They could bring in one or two top free agents, Add a top 5 2014 first round Draft pick and Kobe into that mix and you have a base to make a playoff return

The problem is, They are not run in the right way. Jim Buss is a disgrace to his father. Jerry Buss was one of the greatest owners of all time, His worthless son doesn't know what he's doing.

Kobe is the face of the franchise and he has earned the right to be consulted on Appointment, trades etc before they are made public, and he deserves a say in the running of the team.
    100% agree, Jim is terrible at his job is between himself and James Nolan as to which is the worst.
    I see us getting a top draft this year, the thing Im not sure about is whether we go for Carmelo or give Gasol a new contract and aim for the 2015 free agent market.
    One thing for sure is we have to get rid of Mike, he just isnt suited for LA, were the biggest team in the league, he just isnt up for it

astonaidan wrote: »
    100% agree, Jim is terrible at his job is between himself and James Nolan as to which is the worst.
    I see us getting a top draft this year, the thing Im not sure about is whether we go for Carmelo or give Gasol a new contract and aim for the 2015 free agent market.
    One thing for sure is we have to get rid of Mike, he just isnt suited for LA, were the biggest team in the league, he just isnt up for it

wooooooooooow hold on a second jim buss has years of being inadiquate left before i can be compared to james dolan

wooooooooooow hold on a second jim buss has years of being inadiquate left before i can be compared to james dolan
    Can we not agree both Jims are just terrible

• Advertisement

Can we not agree both Jims are just terrible

most definitely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Speaking of the Lakers, presume everyone's seen the grantland series on Steve Nash? Really feel for the guy, one of my favourite players over the years and one of the very few elite athletes who comes across as being a genuinely decent human being, sad to see him struggling like this (pt. 1 2 3)

As a neutral, I just want to see him get one more season out at somewhere approximating his level, but I can understand how fans might feel he's had his time.

benway wrote: »
    Speaking of the Lakers, presume everyone's seen the grantland series on Steve Nash? Really feel for the guy, one of my favourite players over the years and one of the very few elite athletes who comes across as being a genuinely decent human being, sad to see him struggling like this (pt. 1 2 3)

As a neutral, I just want to see him get one more season out at somewhere approximating his level, but I can understand how fans might feel he's had his time.

ya hes one of the guys who i really want to get a ring before he goes but i cant see it happening now unless he gets it as a bench player and i don't even know if thats likely at this stage unfortunately

If I had control over the situation. I'd have Jeanie Buss take over the decision making and have Jim take a back seat in some other role.

I'd fire Mike D'Antoni and hire Jeff van Gundy

I'd make it the teams priority to get Carmelo Anthony and retain Gasol.

I'd Draft Marcus Smart

PG Smart
    SG Bryant
    SF Young
    PF Anthony
    C Gasol

If I had control over the situation. I'd have Jeanie Buss take over the decision making and have Jim take a back seat in some other role.

I'd Draft Marcus Smart

PG Smart
    SG Bryant
    SF Young
    PF Anthony
    C Gasol

shurley jeanie would mean phil coming back no?

and if that does happen dont phil and jeff van gundy have a not so good history?

• Advertisement

shurley jeanie would mean phil coming back no?

and if that does happen dont phil and jeff van gundy have a not so good history?

Isn't Phill committed to the Knicks. Doesn't he have a contract?

Jeff is the best option If you can't get Phill to coach the team.

I would say George Karl but Melo hates George Karl

Isn't Phill committed to the Knicks. Doesn't he have a contract?

Jeff is the best option If you can't get Phill to coach the team.

I would say George Karl but Melo hates George Karl

would jeanie hire him though its entirely possible she has an issue there as well arguing semantics i guess we cant tell.

would you say george karl and sign love instead of melo?

would jeanie hire him though its entirely possible she has an issue there as well arguing semantics i guess we cant tell.

would you say george karl and sign love instead of melo?

You have to wait another year for Love. Other wise The T Wolves will want assets in return to trade before then ,And the Lakers really don't have anything to trade with

You have to wait another year for Love. Other wise The T Wolves will want assets in return to trade before then ,And the Lakers really don't have anything to trade with

i dont think carmello will be available now that phils with the knicks though

i dont think carmello will be available now that phils with the knicks though

They could bring in a few smaller contracts, Say Greg Monroe and Gordon Hayward for example. Bring in some young guys and build a team up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Mike Dunleavy of the Bulls shows how it should be done. If he can take an elbow of a guy running full speed and not even drop to the ground....than clearly these other "superior" athletes are flopping. That elbow to the face is a true testament to how much players exaggerate contact....can not stand the Wade's, Lebron's, and Harden's of the world at times. So talented and exciting to watch and yet they ruin it with flopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭padraig_f

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    Mike Dunleavy of the Bulls shows how it should be done. If he can take an elbow of a guy running full speed and not even drop to the ground....than clearly these other "superior" athletes are flopping. That elbow to the face is a true testament to how much players exaggerate contact....can not stand the Wade's, Lebron's, and Harden's of the world at times. So talented and exciting to watch and yet they ruin it with flopping.

That was badass. Came out stitched up at the start of the third and took another charge straight away. Hit 16 points in the quarter.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Where's Nuri? Is he traveling back to NY or banned again? :D

Bit of option A, a bit of option B. Seems one or two people will report any comment of mine, but can subtly troll to their heart's content.

Got to a couple of Knicks game during the past couple of weeks anyway.. and they played well and won :eek: Might finally head down to Brooklyn for a game when I head back to Queens next week.

I'd Draft Marcus Smart

PG Smart
    SG Bryant
    SF Young
    PF Anthony
    C Gasol
    For me Young will never be a starter on a proper team and defiantly not at SF, I think he will resign and be scoring in the secondary. I think we will draft Exum, everything is lining up that he comes to us, his agent is restricting him from the public view. Dont see us getting Anthony and keeping Gasol, the finances arent there.
    As for coaching well if I had my way Id take Tom from Bulls but I dont :(
    They could bring in a few smaller contracts, Say Greg Monroe and Gordon Hayward for example. Bring in some young guys and build a team up.
    Just cant see see either off these lads not getting matched, like Id be clearly surprised if either off these players land on different teams. I see Josh Smith leaving Pistons in the summer if they get any offers for them.

For me Young will never be a starter on a proper team and defiantly not at SF, I think he will resign and be scoring in the secondary. I think we will draft Exum, everything is lining up that he comes to us, his agent is restricting him from the public view. Dont see us getting Anthony and keeping Gasol, the finances arent there.
    As for coaching well if I had my way Id take Tom from Bulls but I dont :(

Just cant see see either off these lads not getting matched, like Id be clearly surprised if either off these players land on different teams. I see Josh Smith leaving Pistons in the summer if they get any offers for them.

Yeah they probably will go with Exum, But I just love how Marcus smart has returned from his ban. He really turned it up a notch. I would say that any stock he may have lost over that incident has been more than restored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish injuries on anybody, but I'm gonna have a hard time feeling compassion when I see this asshole get hit in the face (especially when the blow is inadvertent).

Final appeal for participants in our NCAA Bracketology league.

To join, click the link below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057154261

Players Signed up

malistheman

For Forks Sake

E.Scifo

Dublin Red Devil

Bateman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

NufcNavan wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish injuries on anybody, but I'm gonna have a hard time feeling compassion when I see this asshole get hit in the face (especially when the blow is inadvertent).

I feel the exact same way about Hansbrough :pac:

I can understand why people don't like Hansbrough, but he plays hard. Dunleavy is a bit of a punk, who plays awful D and has made a career of putting up average/decent numbers on bad teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

I'm no fan of Dunleavy but it does put the flop mob to shame. Scourge of the game, tbh.

Hate to get all "everything was better back in the day", but I really don't remember it being a thing till recent times. Played in a social league fairly recently, were a few guys there who were down if you went within 3 feet of them, never mind posted them up. Ended up quitting because I was getting to the point of properly giving them something to flop about. Never remember any of that when I last played regularly.

And no, this is not a flop. This most certainly is not a flop. This, this and this are flops.

Yeah I play some pick up basketball during the Summer. There's one dude (in his 40s btw) who screams every time there's contact on him, yet hacks the sh*t out of lads when he's on D. Combined with throwing full court passes (which obviously never work out) and having no real concept of how to play basketball he is by far the most annoying to play with.

benway wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Dunleavy but it does put the flop mob to shame. Scourge of the game, tbh.

Hate to get all "everything was better back in the day", but I really don't remember it being a thing till recent times. Played in a social league fairly recently, were a few guys there who were down if you went within 3 feet of them, never mind posted them up. Ended up quitting because I was getting to the point of properly giving them something to flop about. Never remember any of that when I last played regularly.

And no, this is not a flop. This most certainly is not a flop. This, this and this are flops.
    Haha you should play with us, we play call your own fouls :D, we pretty much have one guy who only ever shoots kick outs but who calls more fouls that anyone, he is the bitch off the group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Any predictions for tonights games folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Any predictions for tonights games folks?

Philadelphia will continue their losing streak :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Lowry vs Conley has been a fun duel. Grizz dominating the paint so far in Toronto.

Raptors have been superb since the 1Q, very impressive. The W is theirs.

Advertisement