Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Philly 24-21 The Pacers, end 1Q

50-58 h/t.

Bulls-Thunder underway, should be good viewing..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Nice touch from Lance, Green shoes for St Patricks day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

There's tanking and then there's the Sixers, 21st straight loss......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭padraig_f

There's tanking and then there's the Sixers, 21st straight loss......

As Stan van Gundy said recently at the Sloan conference: “If you’re putting that roster on the floor, you’re doing everything you can to lose. It’s embarrassing.”

Fifty NBA notes, quotes and anecdotes from the 2014 Sloan conference

Hopefully Adam Silver will do something about it. The regular season product is pretty bad now, not just the Sixers, but you're looking at the nightly matchups and thinking at least 10 teams are not trying to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

There are too many games in the nba, you can lose 30 games and it doesnt matter

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    There are too many games in the nba, you can lose 30 games and it doesnt matter

Yeah that's another problem. I saw Silver referencing the NFL, saying he wanted the NBA to be as big as it. I liked the ambition. One of the things the NFL does well is 16-game regular season, a lot of the reason for that is the physical nature of the sport, but it means every regular season game matters. The NBA could learn something from that and reduce the number of games, reduce it to 72, would make the games a bit more important.

That's another thing that makes the regular season games less appealing, apart from the tanking teams, you've got another group of teams that are on cruise control.

A big stumbling block for that change is less games = less money, but I think you need to see the bigger picture and improve the product (tv money increasingly more important anyway).

In general I really like the stuff Silver has said since taking over, he's also talked about tackling that end-of-game problem, with all the timeouts and stoppages. So I'm optimistic to see what changes he makes.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

BjBRwTACYAAFHIe.jpg:large

Dolan said " Phil will be in charge of all basketball decisions."

__

Barclays Center is a spectacular arena btw. TV doesn't do it true justice. The Nets were simply excellent last night.

Can the Knicks Keep Melo and still add another all star?

Can the Knicks Keep Melo and still add another all star?

Who in their right mind would take on any of these contracts (obv. excluding Melo) that have to be paid next year..
    Amar'e Stoudemire $23,410,988
    Carmelo Anthony $23,333,405
    Tyson Chandler $14,596,888
    Andrea Bargnani $11,500,000
    J.R. Smith $5,982,375
    Raymond Felton $3,793,693

Zach Lowe has a column today about tanking and the draft system....Wheel of Misfortune

"One thing is clear: Change is coming. The current lottery system probably isn’t going to last much longer, and the wheel provides a fascinating alternative."

• Advertisement

That 5 year wheel could work

Unbelievably, it's only just over two years since I posted this about Anthony Davis when he was at Kentucky, Sunday night he goes for 40 points and 21 boards against the Celtics
    Actually sat down to watch Kentucky vs Sth Carolina last night, it was men vs boys stuff.

However, Anthony Davis is being touted as a #1 draft pick this year and deservedly so, this kid is the real deal. Realisticly there could be 5 if not 6 UK players gone in the draft this year if they go deep in March

I think the regular season should have less games. I get that the NBA plays more games so they can make money on ticket sales. But If they had a more concentrated higher quality product, they would probably make money in other ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

19 years ago today, where does the time go?

BjCcq5FCIAAVXbZ.jpg

Could you imagine Michael Jordan tweeting "I'm Back" on Twitter in the current days of social media? It would have exploded :pac:

Cavs without Kyrie and Deng tonight against Miami, welp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Who in their right mind would take on any of these contracts (obv. excluding Melo) that have to be paid next year..

The Cavs under Mike Brown would take 4 of them at least.

The one you've all been waiting for!!!!!!!

Extra Butter: unfort. it is a joke. :(

Wonder will it feature this?

I was at that game. Even the C's fans were laughing.

This is gruesome already.. yeah, LeBron is going off here. Has 25 points after the 1Q.
    Miami HEAT @MiamiHEAT
    Over his last 3 1st quarters, @KingJames is shooting 90.4% on 19-of-21 shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Smart Cavs, showing him how much he can score on this court in an attempt to get him back :pac:

I'm calling a blowout by the 3rd. He'll have 54 points and he'll sit the 4th quarter.

• Advertisement

Smart Cavs, showing him how much he can score on this court in an attempt to get him back :pac:

I'm calling a blowout by the 3rd. He'll have 54 points and he'll sit the 4th quarter.

Such a LeBron stan :P :D

Miami letting a team back into the game after being up huge shocker.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Such a LeBron stan :P :D

My bollocks I am.

Of course he stays on to keep up the scoring and fecked up the lead.

Actually I'm not even watching it so I should stay quiet :D

My bollocks I am.

Of course he stays on to keep up the scoring and fecked up the lead.

Actually I'm not even watching it so I should stay quiet :D

They're unbearable on Ish, some many alts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

BjBRwTACYAAFHIe.jpg:large

Dolan said " Phil will be in charge of all basketball decisions."

__

Barclays Center is a spectacular arena btw. TV doesn't do it true justice. The Nets were simply excellent last night.

Stick up a few pics if you have them

They're unbearable on Ish, some many alts.

Makes the forum almost unreadable.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Stick up a few pics if you have them

Past the point of taking pics at b-ball games, but when I go next time (definitely going again), I'll take a few and throw them up for sure.
    Makes the forum almost unreadable.

Tbh, I just read it for the lolz at the stage. The place is certifiable. From the stans, to Euroleague and so on :pac:

Tbh, I just read it for the lolz at the stage. The place is certifiable. From the stans, to Euroleague and so on :pac:

And with the non-existent ban function for mods. It's a joke.

And with the non-existent ban function for mods. It's a joke.

There's a lot of things I could call Jeff, but it's not for here :)

• Advertisement

if you want to see how the white mamba looks against guys off the street look up "scallenge" on youtube the guys against him are not good at all though its just an ego boost for him (prob just a joke thing looking at the entry videos)

actually the round 1 guy played college ball syracuse

Advertisement