Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Worst call of the year right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Knicks scrape past the Sixers by 1 point. They've come this far with the losing streak they might as well go ahead and break the NBA record of 26 in a row

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Sigh, Russ and Gasol injured in their respective games. Former with a sprained knee apparently, obviously an MRI tomorrow will confirm what's happened.

OT in Toronto.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Sweet, Big win for the Pacers. Triple Double for George

KD was 3 for 12 with 13 points in the first half. He's now 13 for 28 with 44 points (44-10-7 on a B2B!!!) with 1.03 in OT left, Thunder up 3..

Clutch from Lowry, nails the 3 to tie and Raptors defense sees this into Double OT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Durant finishes with 51 and hits the 3 to win the game. I only turned it on at the start of OT (as I was watching the Celtics-Nets game) and it was pretty crazy. I would've preferred the Raptors to win it, but I guess if you can't execute from the line you gotta pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    Bulls/Pacers tonight, looking forward to it.

Well that was ****!

Well that was ****!

The 3Q implosion was just... yeah.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    The 3Q implosion was just... yeah.

Not very often we get out-rebounded either, getting beat 51-36 on the board is nowhere near good enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Phoenix would have the third best record in the East right now yet they're outside the playoffs in the west. The difference between conferences is shocking.

• Advertisement

Phoenix would have the third best record in the East right now yet they're outside the playoffs in the west. The difference between conferences is shocking.

Never going to happen and it's probably completely unrealistic, but I'd love to see conferences done away with. Every team plays everyone twice (similar to a football/soccer season) that will shorten the season (which needs to be done anyway) giving each team 58 games.

Top 16 teams progress to the playoffs.

That will mean teams with winning records who deserve to be in the playoffs like Phoenix will be there and teams with losing records who don't deserve to be in there like Atlanta and Charlotte don't make it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Never going to happen and it's probably completely unrealistic, but I'd love to see conferences done away with. Every team plays everyone twice (similar to a football/soccer season) that will shorten the season (which needs to be done anyway) giving each team 58 games.

Top 16 teams progress to the playoffs.

That will mean teams with winning records who deserve to be in the playoffs like Phoenix will be there and teams with losing records who don't deserve to be in there like Atlanta and Charlotte don't make it in.

You could tweak the schedule so that each team has a more comparable schedule whilst still retaining the conf. and divisional systems BUT only reward the divisional winners. Seems completely illogical that using your example above that a team with an inferior record makes the Playoffs whilst others with better records don't.

It's even worse if you get forensic in your analysis, as a team in the East will play every other team in the East 5 or 6 teams each per season (depending on the division) whilst only playing teams from the West twice. So imagine you're in the West and you have to play San Antonio, OKC, The Clippers, Houston and The Warriors a combined 30 times whilst in the East you get to play the Sixers, Orlando, Milwaukee, Cleveland and Detroit 30 times? Not really fair is it? Like Miami could easily win 24 of those 30 games without getting out of 2nd gear - crazy!

So this year in particular a win in the West is far more difficult to earn than in the East.

The gap seems more imbalanced this year than others. I've talked about the West-East imbalance this particular season a lot but I'm also old enough to remember similar imbalances in the Bird* and Jordan eras. The problem now however is becoming accentuated and will continue to develop IMO as a result of the SuperFriends/SuperTeams concepts. So whilst the Bird and Jordan blips were just that - a blip, if allowed to continue unchecked you'll end up with a greater power shift to the stronger teams and a widening gap, thus creating a Champions League style format where the same teams are making the Play Offs year after year. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.

I think the NBA are aware of this and will look at doing something to revitalize the league, they've been progressive in other areas so hopefully this will be redressed.

Sadly though, I read yesterday that the advertising logo on jerseys concept is going to happen within 5 years according to Silver. This will be a real blow to the purity of the game (silly I know when it's a business ultimately, but FFS,can you leave something alone?).

*just to clarify, I wasn't even a teen, I'm not like 100!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Its why we all love basket ball, the excitement, and not winning or loseing till literally the final buzzer, but fcuk me did the raptors give that game away last night, 8pts up with 49secs left,add in 2 free throws missed in that time, wow you gotta love (and hate) the game:rolleyes:

also you gotta feel for philly(i do anyway) the win will come soon i think

So, apparently Paul George got 'cat-fished' by a gay man pretending to be a woman :pac: Search for it on Twitter to see the pictures.
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    also you gotta feel for philly(i do anyway) the win will come soon i think

As long as it's not tonight!

The gift that keeps on giving, brilliant :D

"Lebron is a genius

Hires Miami stripper to poke a whole in the rubber

uses his voodoo powers on westbrook

catfish's Paul George"

:pac:

Since when do millionaire NBA players have to sleep with strippers and send naked pictures to get some action? What an idiot.

Imagine the stuff KG will be saying on the court to PG if the Nets meet the Pacers in the PlayOffs.........:D:D:D:D

You'd have thought he'd have learned from the stripper experience....but obviously not.

Just spent the last 20mins watching Blake Griffin's Top 100 Dunks on NBA.com (can't link it but it's worth a look if you're highlight-hungry).

Whilst you can legitimately argue with the pecking order there are some things you can't argue with:
    1. BG has incredible hands and touch for a guy his size - some of the passes he catches and converts are really bad passes. And he can do this right or left handed, which is impressive in its own right
    2. He has to be amongst the freakiest athletes of all time. To have that speed, quickness and explosiveness at his height is crazy. That couple with the hand-eye cordination and soft touch needed to do some of the things he does is just insane....and incredibly rare
    3. He has awesome hops, off either foot, but especially off both
    4. No-one in the NBA boxes out - the amount of flushes he gets off missed shots is crazy. If I were a coach, my scouting would have a body on him after every shot - this is basics FFS. Sometimes the NBA shocks me with its disregatrd for the fundamentals of the game. This is one of the reasons the pro game frustrates me so much. The NBA is an athlete's league sure, but come on, that's just effort and basics
    I like how he's evolving too. I've been consistent in my praise of his game since he went pro (check my posts!). I think he's receieved some harsh criticism over the years and gets a hard time in the league for being labeled "just" a dunker and "soft". When I was at the Clippers-Nets game last year everytime he took a free throw the crowd were shouting in chorus "over-rated". Was kinda funny, but harsh. The guy averaged 20 and 10 as a rookie - you don't do that if you're soft. He's at 24+ and almost 10 boards a game now in a loaded team, that's impressive.

Just spent the last 20mins watching Blake Griffin's Top 100 Dunks on NBA.com (can't link it but it's worth a look if you're highlight-hungry).

Whilst you can legitimately argue with the pecking order there are some things you can't argue with:
    1. BG has incredible hands and touch for a guy his size - some of the passes he catches and converts are really bad passes. And he can do this right or left handed, which is impressive in its own right
    2. He has to be amongst the freakiest athletes of all time. To have that speed, quickness and explosiveness at his height is crazy. That couple with the hand-eye cordination and soft touch needed to do some of the things he does is just insane....and incredibly rare
    3. He has awesome hops, off either foot, but especially off both
    4. No-one in the NBA boxes out - the amount of flushes he gets off missed shots is crazy. If I were a coach, my scouting would have a body on him after every shot - this is basics FFS. Sometimes the NBA shocks me with its disregatrd for the fundamentals of the game. This is one of the reasons the pro game frustrates me so much. The NBA is an athlete's league sure, but come on, that's just effort and basics
    I like how he's evolving too. I've been consistent in my praise of his game since he went pro (check my posts!). I think he's receieved some harsh criticism over the years and gets a hard time in the league for being labeled "just" a dunker and "soft". When I was at the Clippers-Nets game last year everytime he took a free throw the crowd were shouting in chorus "over-rated". Was kinda funny, but harsh. The guy averaged 20 and 10 as a rookie - you don't do that if you're soft. He's at 24+ and almost 10 boards a game now in a loaded team, that's impressive.

Agree with the boxing out. Never really notice anyone boxing out hard. As my coach tells me and the team - Our offense starts with boxing out on defence

So Miami lost again and not a mention of it, but that's probably because the Pacers lost as well.

Warriors seem to still have that mental block against the Spurs. No Manu or Duncan for the road side, still won. That addition to their win back in December in Golden State without their Big 3.

Bobcats stomped all over the Blazers too.

• Advertisement

So Miami lost again and not a mention of it, but that's probably because the Pacers lost as well.

He whose name shall not be mentioned lest we cause offence is on an NBA break. No-one else cares.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Miami's loss negates our loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

There we go!

Miami's loss negates our loss.

I'd say that's what Frank Vogel said to the team - "Ah don't worry about it lads the Heat lost too so we're grand. Go home now and rest, and Paul, keep your pants on!"

A loss should never be looked at like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Go wan the raptors:D

Seems like neither the Heat nor the Pacers want that #1 seed. The Heat have lost 6 of their last 10 and the Pacers have lost 5 of their last 10.

Seems like neither the Heat nor the Pacers want that #1 seed. The Heat have lost 6 of their last 10 and the Pacers have lost 5 of their last 10.

How funny would it be if they both missed out on the ECF? One can dream, oh how one can only dream.

Great finish in Minny, Suns should hold on here. They were 22 points down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Great finish in Minny, Suns should hold on here. They were 22 points down.

The Nelson Muntz special when the technical was called against the Suns (Green?) was, in fairness, a touch of class.

Good games today, two strong comebacks, Suns in particular were very impressive once they got going.

Just watching Denver/Washington now, some great hands from Marcin Gortat there to set up Beal for the 3 ... then the tip in. He's been having an excellent season from what I've seen.

And just as I say that, he goes and gets himself blocked by Randy Foye.

• Advertisement

benway wrote: »
    The Nelson Muntz special when the technical was called against the Suns (Green?) was, in fairness, a touch of class.

Good games today, two strong comebacks, Suns in particular were very impressive once they got going.

Just watching Denver/Washington now, some great hands from Marcin Gortat there to set up Beal for the 3 ... then the tip in. He's been having an excellent season from what I've seen.

And just as I say that, he goes and gets himself blocked by Randy Foye.

There was a shocking call on Wall towards the end that would have made it a 1 point game. And one perhaps debatable one that was given as a charge, so I heard. Wiz coach kept their awful bench out there for too long and it cost them in the end, Denver tore them apart in the paint.

Advertisement