Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'd still put big money on it being AIG's younger brother.
    3 in a row and only 3 and a half off the Hawks for the 8th spot!! It's great that there's fight in this team, even without Kyrie. Both Jack and Dion have stepped up big time with Kyrie out, Dion especially. Another unsung hero is Delly, who has been throwing 3's for fun lately.

9 games to go, Onwards to Brooklyn :)

I only watched minutes here and there as I had the Cavs +6 last night, but he looked really good. It wasn't all hero ball from Waiters down the stretch which was nice to see, unlike that of the All Star.

Knicks 2 games back, with Atlanta faltering, it could be a straight shootout between the Cavs and Knicks for that final spot. When is Kyrie back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I only watched minutes here and there as I had the Cavs +6 last night, but he looked really good. It wasn't all hero ball from Waiters down the stretch which was nice to see, unlike that of the All Star.

Knicks 2 games back, with Atlanta faltering, it could be a straight shootout between the Cavs and Knicks for that final spot. When is Kyrie back?

Dion and Jack have been excellent in the backcourt while Kyrie's been out. As you said, there's no hero ball and both of them are hitting their shots (even though Brown told Dion to get into the paint for the last play instead of shooting it but Dion thought better). Yep, Atlanta have lost their groove and are now struggling while us and the Knicks are playing catch up. Our game at Atlanta is now crucial for us.

Afaik, Kyrie's getting the strain seen to again in about a week and will be told there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Only a game between two teams as offensively retarded as the Bulls v Pacers would be 34-33 at the half. :D

Now now, appreciate the glorious defence. Defence wins games, don't you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Missed the games last night, but with a 3 game advantage (because of the tiebreaker) and a relatively easy schedule apart from 3 games (Heat again, Thunder and Spurs) the Pacers should have enough to wrap up home court advantage in the coming weeks. I hope they do as I want to see what the Heat can produce if they have to give up home court in the likely eastern conference final against the Pacers.

That Bobcats pick is getting closer to the Bulls now. It's top 10 protected, but as things stand we'd have that (14th pick) and our own pick (18) in the upcoming draft. I have to admit I've watched extremely little of college basketball this year so can't knowledgeably comment on upcoming prospects, but with reports that it's a very deep class it seems a good draft to have multiple picks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 annelin

wow an nba season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Going to enjoy these last few days of the games being on an hour earlier here in Ireland.

Philly doing a great job at this whole losing streak record

Fantastic game between the Clippers - Mavericks there. Road team comes away with the W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Well the Lakers have given 76ers a great chance off getting number 1 in the lotto

Also, the Hawks lost again. Knicks and Cavs edge a game closer to that 8th seed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Poor coaches have been discussed on here the last few days, i just want to throw my two cents in. I was at the Warriors v Spurs game last weekend and my friend pointed something out to me that I never really noticed, during a couple of consecutive time outs, Popovich would huddle up with all his coaches and then go give his team talk, Duncan would also be there and Bonner sometimes, but Jackson would just wander around a lot, not speak to any coaches, talk to the refs and maybe say a few words.

Obviously Popovich is arguably the greatest coach of my generation and maybe unfair to compare them but Jackson seems clueless at the best of times.
    Curry came out in support of him today, I hope there is no major fallout that sees Curry leave in the future, Jackson and Curry to the Knicks would kill me. Warriors need to pay Curry what he is worth and make him the top earner.

• Advertisement

Poor coaches have been discussed on here the last few days, i just want to throw my two cents in. I was at the Warriors v Spurs game last weekend and my friend pointed something out to me that I never really noticed, during a couple of consecutive time outs, Popovich would huddle up with all his coaches and then go give his team talk, Duncan would also be there and Bonner sometimes, but Jackson would just wander around a lot, not speak to any coaches, talk to the refs and maybe say a few words.

Obviously Popovich is arguably the greatest coach of my generation and maybe unfair to compare them but Jackson seems clueless at the best of times.
    Curry came out in support of him today, I hope there is no major fallout that sees Curry leave in the future, Jackson and Curry to the Knicks would kill me. Warriors need to pay Curry what he is worth and make him the top earner.

If Curry went to the Knicks, I'd have to consider going to MSG on a weekly basis, though Jackson on the other hand would need extra security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I noticed how passive Jackson was when they played the Bulls about a month ago. The Warriors played terribly that night, which I guess can happen, but what surprised me was how accepting Jackson seemed to be about it.

If the Bulls have a couple of slack possessions in a row, I'm used to Thibs calling an instant timeout to correct things, you can almost predict it. But there the Warriors were, jacking up bad shot after bad shot, and Jackson just seemed to be sitting there letting it go.

These coaching issues tend to come out in the wash in the playoffs, so will be interesting to see how they get on, but yeah, things don't look quite right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

He's (Jackson) still better than Mike Brown.

26 straight losses for the 76ers, pretty amazing.

I think this will now spur some change in the draft system, it’s a bit embarrassing for the new commissioner when the official line is that teams don’t tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bulls/Trail Blazers tonight. Portland seem to always prove to be a horrible match up for us lately. I read a stat on Yahoo (I think it was) that stated they had won 10 of the last 12 games against us. Portland average 106 points per game and the Bulls concede around 88 on average so it will be very interesting to see who gets the upper hand.

Elsewhere, Pacers/Wizards should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Just on Mark Jackson, Bill Simmons mentioned in his last podcast that he has been hearing that it will take a deep playoff run for his job to be saved. He said that from what he has heard, the axe will fall if they lose even in the 2nd round. The Dubs imo have been the most disappointing team in the league this year. They have some much talent, but havn't put it together this season. Mark Jackson seems to be a great motivator but tactically he is certainly questionably. With the offensive weapons he has at his disposal they have only the 10th best offense in the league. I think Jackson may have taken this team as far as he can.

They've been both hugely disappointing overall but hugely impressive in patches too, but overall you'd have to lean towards underachieving given the talent.

They were my tip at the start of the year to win the West but that's highly unlikely now. They can beat anyone on any night, but I can't see them taking elite teams over 7 games.

The big challenge will be finding a coach that will keep the team intact, strengthen it and develop them. But with elite coaching possibly at an all time low in the NBA, they will struggle to find the right guy.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Just on Mark Jackson, Bill Simmons mentioned in his last podcast that he has been hearing that it will take a deep playoff run for his job to be saved. He said that from what he has heard, the axe will fall if they lose even in the 2nd round. The Dubs imo have been the most disappointing team in the league this year. They have some much talent, but havn't put it together this season. Mark Jackson seems to be a great motivator but tactically he is certainly questionably. With the offensive weapons he has at his disposal they have only the 10th best offense in the league. I think Jackson may have taken this team as far as he can.

Looks like they're headed for a first round exit, I hope ESPN don't take him back for their live commentary. I think the broadcast has improved since it went to Van Gundy & Breen/Tirico, instead of the previous 3-some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

They've been both hugely disappointing overall but hugely impressive in patches too, but overall you'd have to lean towards underachieving given the talent.

They were my tip at the start of the year to win the West but that's highly unlikely now. They can beat anyone on any night, but I can't see them taking elite teams over 7 games.

The big challenge will be finding a coach that will keep the team intact, strengthen it and develop them. But with elite coaching possibly at an all time low in the NBA, they will struggle to find the right guy.

George Karl would be a great fit imo.

So much for the Pacers/Wizards being a good game...... Indiana shooting around 30% and the Wizards are leading by 20 in the 4th

• Advertisement

The Wizards pulverized the Pacers would be an apt description, Wall leading them with 20 points and 8 assists.

So much for the Pacers/Wizards being a good game...... Indiana shooting around 30% and the Wizards are leading by 20 in the 4th

and Indy lose 91-78, very very poor from the Pacers.

Raptors officially clinth their Playoff spot with their win over the Celtics

Raptors clinch their playoff spot in dramatic fashion winning at the death against the Celtics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Lakers allowed 100 points with 4:50 left in the third!

This Kevin Durant guy is pretty good. 37 straight games with at least 25 points now, 29 on 9-11 shooting and it looks like he's checking out for the night with a minute left in the 3rd. OKC are up 30+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Raptors clinch their playoff spot in dramatic fashion winning at the death against the Celtics.

Nearly threw it away too:rolleyes:

Great pic from the Air Canada Center at the final buzzer.

Bj29RyFIAAA7Xo6.jpg:large

Chuffed for them, very well deserved.

buyer95 wrote: »
    George Karl would be a great fit imo.

I don't know if the fit is right. Sure he'd be good for the run and gun element of the W's game, but defensively I'm not sure what he'd bring. And that's what they most need - a defensive mastermind that can allow the offense to continue to flourish but will instill a degree of mental toughness that's not there right now. Or actually even just improving it would be good.

With all the Phil Jackson talk recently I was amazed they didn't go after him in a big way. His big thing until the NY move was he wasn't moving out of Cali……well…how much more of an invite do you need after that. Plus the Jerry West and GSW relationship you'd have though he'd have been on their radar. As for fit, it's a young underachieving team with a superstar and some very strong role players. Sounds like a plan to me.

Read Phil Jackson's Sacred Hoops today in one sitting. Wasn't great tbh, lots of cliches, way too top line, simplistic and a bit too "spiritual" to be really insightful. Didn't learn anything new.

The most interesting thing about it was how much he quoted Walt Whitman. For those of you who don't get the link or realise why that's so culturally relevant right now ....Breaking Bad. Jackson's book was written in 1995. Wonder was Vince Gilligan a Bulls fan? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This Kevin Durant guy is pretty good. 37 straight games with at least 25 points now, 29 on 9-11 shooting and it looks like he's checking out for the night with a minute left in the 3rd. OKC are up 30+.

What odds will Paddy Power give on Scott Brooks benching him when he gets to 24 next time out? :)

Advertisement