Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Bobcats are making shots still here.

Bosh!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

With all due respect, you are not part of the team. Please stop saying "we" and "us" all the time when you discuss the Pacers. You come across as the basketball equivalent of those teenagers (or even adults) you see wearing Liverpool jerseys, shorts and socks during the day. Every time you post I think of this:

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/full-kit-****-twitter-explained/

As others have said, half the time I think you're just trolling on here.

I don't know where you're from but here people regularly use the term we when referring to team they support. When talking about Dublin GAA, Manchester United, Ireland National teams,Indiana Pacers. I will continue to use the term, whether you loke it or not:P

Damn Charlotte. Just one point short of holding on to the Heat. Good Hustle

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I don't know where you're from but here people regularly use the term we when referring to team they support. When talking about Dublin GAA, Manchester United, Ireland National teams,Indiana Pacers. I will continue to use the term, whether you loke it or not:P

I'll survive………………….

Warriors win.

Warriors don't cover :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Christ all almighty that was close. I knew kings would really test warriors! But with a good bit of dosh on warriors I got scared. Think I won't be trying that again, just enjoy a fantastic game. Cousins was awesome, despite the record, kings have really scared the crap out of some good teams on their court already this season.

I know Miami are due a loss, but Jesus, that was close too, fair due Bobcats! Celtics got lucky and derby trivial Orlando really put it up to them.still you know a good team is one that can survive scares. I know players seem to rule the league but hats off to the coach.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Warriors win.

Warriors don't cover :(

Like watching them play, but they won't make it to the conference final (to be fair I don't think many thought that)

This weekend has been outstanding. Most of the games were vital division derbies or conference rival match ups.they way it should be.(of course it's great to see the best 3 teams from each conference play the other)

In other news Andre Drummond 31p 19r 6s 2b.

Loving watching him and DeMarcus Cousins this season.

Ya like both, awful shame that their teammates are not helping

Would not mind but Detroit have a decent team that should push for 7th or 8th seed

Anthony Davis broke his hand in the 2Q of the game v Knicks there :-/

• Advertisement

Anthony Davis broke his hand in the 2Q of the game v Knicks there :-/

Everyone in Madison square garden must be thanking god/ala/Satan/jedis etc.

Awful bad luck, he is really a shining light And living up to is 1st draft pick.

Despite that huge nugget of fortune one would not be surprised that Knicks still blow it

For 3/4 Q's, the Timberwolves battered OKC.

In the 4Q, OKC tore the Timberwolves limb for limb to win by 10.. and covers the spread, somehow :D

Durant was sensational throughout too, great triple double.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Christ all almighty that was close. I knew kings would really test warriors! But with a good bit of dosh on warriors I got scared. Think I won't be trying that again, just enjoy a fantastic game. Cousins was awesome, despite the record, kings have really scared the crap out of some good teams on their court already this season.

I know Miami are due a loss, but Jesus, that was close too, fair due Bobcats! Celtics got lucky and derby trivial Orlando really put it up to them.still you know a good team is one that can survive scares. I know players seem to rule the league but hats off to the coach.

Kings are a better team than their record indicates, it's their youth that kills them at the end of games. Isaiah is great off the bench but tends to go into hero mode at the end of games and makes costly turnovers. DeMarcus is a monster and the Kings would be getting regularly blown out if it wasn't for him. Most talented big man in the league, his per36 numbers have him 3rd or 4th in the league in scoring, he's a great rebounder, not to mention his ballhandling and passing. His defense is greatly improved this year too even though there's still room for improvement. Don't think theres any other center in the league who can do what he does in the open court. I'd love if he made the all-star team this year, he deserves it if he keeps playing like this but the Kings poor record may keep him out. I absolutely love his old-school style, he hates the Clippers and Paul/Blake in particular, he's creating a rivaly by himself. He doesn't back down to anyone and he has no interest in being best friends with the other team.

Hopefully we get lucky in the lottery for once this year and move up instead of down. Get big Cuz some help (Parker please, though I'll settle for Randle/Wiggins :P) and this team will be on the rise.

Anyway, I feel like I'm going into DRD mode here just posting about my team and ignoring every other team, so best to end this post here!

Every Laker game lately feels like a remake of Hoosiers. Can’t stop laughing.

1000000 times more fun to watch than any of their squads the last few seasons.

moneyman wrote: »
    Kings are a better team than their record indicates, it's their youth that kills them at the end of games. Isaiah is great off the bench but tends to go into hero mode at the end of games and makes costly turnovers. DeMarcus is a monster and the Kings would be getting regularly blown out if it wasn't for him. Most talented big man in the league, his per36 numbers have him 3rd or 4th in the league in scoring, he's a great rebounder, not to mention his ballhandling and passing. His defense is greatly improved this year too even though there's still room for improvement. Don't think theres any other center in the league who can do what he does in the open court. I'd love if he made the all-star team this year, he deserves it if he keeps playing like this but the Kings poor record may keep him out. I absolutely love his old-school style, he hates the Clippers and Paul/Blake in particular, he's creating a rivaly by himself. He doesn't back down to anyone and he has no interest in being best friends with the other team.

Hopefully we get lucky in the lottery for once this year and move up instead of down. Get big Cuz some help (Parker please, though I'll settle for Randle/Wiggins :P) and this team will be on the rise.

Anyway, I feel like I'm going into DRD mode here just posting about my team and ignoring every other team, so best to end this post here!

Speaking for myself, I enjoy reading about teams I don't know much about, that includes your boys :)

Great finish in LA. Blazers edge out the Lakers, latter's bench showed a lot of heart to nearly make the huge comeback to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Like watching them play, but they won't make it to the conference final (to be fair I don't think many thought that)

As a big Warriors fan, i am going to be clearly biased and say they have a decent chance of making the final. They havent played great so far and i expect them to hit a groove at some stage and put a decent run together. I just feel come playoffs they will have gained so much from last year with the likes of Curry and Thompson, Lee is a rock,Barnes can be spectacular, Bogut kicked into a different gear at playoffs last year and a big defense man at playoff time is invaluable.
    The biggest improvement will come from Iggy, he is the player that could provide that step to the next level.

Its going to be tough obviously but I dont think the Warriors should really fear anyone this year, Spurs will be the Spurs but after that I think they will be able to feel confident against most teams.

As previously said above, DeMarcus is a serious player, comes across as a bit of a head banger but has got bags of talent and a winning mentality. Made two lovely plays over Bogut at the end, made Bogut look very ordinary but great solid post up play like that is so hard to stop, it will draw double coverage.

Golden State are my tip to win the West this year if they can stay healthy. That's a big if in some ways as they have a few players who are somewhat injury prone, but they have the inside-outside game to beat anyone and especially in playoff basketball. Love watching Curry's game develop, despite him not being one of the Top 10 PG's in the league (according to a certain boardsie from last year :rolleyes:). I'll stop now before someone mention a certain John Wall.

Cousins? Awesome player. Easily top 3 in his position in the league. There is not a team in the league who would not take him in a heartbeat. His raw ability and strength are incredible. Last year when we (:D) (as in Boston) were rumoured to be shopping for him I'd have shipped half the roster to get him. So talented and so young, and with a strong coach and veterans to mould him in a winning franchise his upside was still huge. He's easily an All Star calibre player. It's not is game that hurts him, it's the off court stuff, and his relationship with former coaches. The other coaches in the league remember that and will likely stick together again on that when it's voting time. The fact that he bangs it every night on a losing team and has done so since his rookie year speaks volumes for his talent in what must be a frustrating situation. Imagine him on a challenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Last year when we (:D) (as in Boston) were rumoured to be shopping for him I'd have shipped half the roster to get him.

And instead ye ended up with Kris Humphries and Gerald Wallace in exchange for half the roster. Yeowch. :D

• Advertisement

And instead ye ended up with Kris Humphries and Gerald Wallace in exchange for half the roster. Yeowch. :D

:D

And yet Boston still have a better record than Brooklyn. Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

:D

And yet Boston still have a better record than Brooklyn. Lol!

Brooklyns silly experiment will be the source of much amusement for most of the season, likewise the Knicks willingness to pay top dollar for mediocrity.

Brad Stevens mustn't have gotten his copy of 'Tanking for Beginners' yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Cousins? Awesome player. Easily top 3 in his position in the league. There is not a team in the league who would not take him in a heartbeat. His raw ability and strength are incredible. Last year when we (:D) (as in Boston) were rumoured to be shopping for him I'd have shipped half the roster to get him. So talented and so young, and with a strong coach and veterans to mould him in a winning franchise his upside was still huge. He's easily an All Star calibre player. It's not is game that hurts him, it's the off court stuff, and his relationship with former coaches. The other coaches in the league remember that and will likely stick together again on that when it's voting time. The fact that he bangs it every night on a losing team and has done so since his rookie year speaks volumes for his talent in what must be a frustrating situation. Imagine him on a challenger?

While I completely get what you mean by this, I think it's important to clarify as big Cuz is a little misunderstood due to his demeanour on the court. He's never been a problem OFF the court, the guy is great in the community. Does lots of stuff for fans, is very funny and intelligent. He's a fairly quiet guy, everybody loves him and he has by all means a great reputation off the court with those who know him. Where he does have problems, though he's getting better in this regard, is dealing with his emotions. He's so competitive, and he just lets his frustration boil over too much. He's getting better at handling his feelings, but still occasionally has problems channeling his anger on the court. Still, his repuatation precedes him and a couple of the technicals he's got so far this season have been laughable. No other player in the league would have got them. Also if you watch a Kings game, you'll see him get mugged in the post and the refs just won't call it. He has to get completely hacked for them to give him a break, and sometimes he gets the bucket anyway due to his strength. I think that's why this season he's taken on such a "us against the world" approach, manifesting itself in him refusing to let Isaiah shake CPs hand, who had been flopping and whinging all game, as usual. Personally I love that old-school mentality.

He did have problems with Westphal, and to a lesser degree Smart. But those guys were abysmal coaches hired by broke, penny-pinching owners. And Westphal inexplicably threw Cuz under the bus when he shouldn't have. I have no sympathy for him, if anything he should have been fired earlier, regardless of whether Cuz was on the team. Smart was one of the worst head coaches in NBA history. Finally with new ownership it looks like we (:pac:) have an actual NBA coach in Malone, and we're seeing the improvements in DeMarcus' game as you'd expect.

But yes, put him on a contender and he'd be talked about as arguably the best big man (certainly offensively anyway) in the NBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bobcats up 14 in Miami. I'm scared.

I'm a semi-Bobcats fan now (:pac:) as I want them to win enough games to move out of the top 10 draft picks in 2014, but lose enough so that they don't finish too far away from that spot, in order for the Bulls to get their pick. Just missing out on the playoffs would be perfect!

moneyman wrote: »

I would agree about your comment about performance and results.it is clear that California derbies bring out the best Of them. Keep an eye on them.for a while.

As a big Warriors fan, i am going to be clearly biased and say they have a decent chance of making the final. They havent played great so far and i expect them to hit a groove at some stage and put a decent run together. I just feel come playoffs they will have gained so much from last year with the likes of Curry and Thompson, Lee is a rock,Barnes can be spectacular, Bogut kicked into a different gear at playoffs last year and a big defense man at playoff time is invaluable.
    The biggest improvement will come from Iggy, he is the player that could provide that step to the next level.

Its going to be tough obviously but I dont think the Warriors should really fear anyone this year, Spurs will be the Spurs but after that I think they will be able to feel confident against most teams.

As previously said above, DeMarcus is a serious player, comes across as a bit of a head banger but has got bags of talent and a winning mentality. Made two lovely plays over Bogut at the end, made Bogut look very ordinary but great solid post up play like that is so hard to stop, it will draw double coverage.

No, warriors shouldn't fear anyone.playoff performance is always mote tighter, they can shoot, but without Iggy the defence, (despite Bogut been a stud ,bar last night) is a concern.I would like them to mix up the attack with some points in the paint, to be fair Curry can do it.I really like Lee,another decent player Knicks discarded.(Lin and Danilio being the others - speaking of Lin, wow, impressed with him this season, he is no Teebow lol)

The major concern ,more than other teams (well OKC without Westbrook or Durant ) is what happens if Curry or the other members of the splash brothers get injured.

Insane game in Chicago. Pelicans won in triple overtime (watched from the 4Q onwards)! Was convinced there'd be a fourth. Deng, Holiday and Andersen were superb. Absolute hell for anyone who had a bet on that game, won or lose! I had Pellicans +4.5. 3-0 on the road and B2B wins in New York and Chicago without Davis... major props to them.

Wizards are still rolling. Wall was superb, 16 points and 13 assists to lead them to a comfortable win.

Pacers are on the ropes in Portland!

Oh, and game winner from Duncan in the Spurs game too.

825362034.gif?1386042872

Blazers win and hand the Pacers their second loss! Awesome second half comeback from them. Aldridge, Lillard and George the standouts.

No, warriors shouldn't fear anyone.playoff performance is always mote tighter, they can shoot, but without Iggy the defence, (despite Bogut been a stud ,bar last night) is a concern.I would like them to mix up the attack with some points in the paint, to be fair Curry can do it.I really like Lee,another decent player Knicks discarded.(Lin and Danilio being the others - speaking of Lin, wow, impressed with him this season, he is no Teebow lol)

The major concern ,more than other teams (well OKC without Westbrook or Durant ) is what happens if Curry or the other members of the splash brothers get injured.

Yea, I agree, Warriors are a jump shooting team and we all know what happens if you aint shooting well and dont have an inside threat to rely on. They have Lee that can get inside as can a few others to a certain extent but nothing like what you would need to compensate a poor shooting night. Its a pity Bogut hasnt regained his offensive threat he use to have with the Bucks, you really need a post up player come playoffs.

Lin has been solid cant be easy either playing along side Harden.

• Advertisement

Insane game in Chicago. Pelicans won in triple overtime (watched from the 4Q onwards)! Was convinced there'd be a fourth. Deng, Holiday and Andersen were superb. Absolute hell for anyone who had a bet on that game, won or lose! I had Pellicans +4.5. 3-0 on the road and B2B wins in New York and Chicago without Davis... major props to them.

Wizards are still rolling. Wall was superb, 16 points and 13 assists to lead them to a comfortable win.

Pacers are on the ropes in Portland!

Oh, and game winner from Duncan in the Spurs game too.

825362034.gif?1386042872

So, I wonder when will it be time to re-open the Wall discussions....:pac::pac::pac:

Its funny, I like the Pacers but I kind of find myself wanting them to lose, I think it could be because of a certain poster here :o

Advertisement