Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Dion Waiters now wants out of Cleveland and wants to go to Philly to be the teams big man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

moneyman wrote: »
    It's been rubbished by multiple sources (good ones at that, such as Sam Amick). If anything does happen it's unlikely to happen for a good while yet, but I'd tend to believe the sources who are saying there's nothing going on. At least for now.

Ah, ignorance at it's finest. Literally nothing about the Kings this year is the same as years past. New owner, new front office, half the roster is already gone and we're only a month in. It's fairly uninformed to suggest that just because it's the Kings, they'll mess it up.

As for Rondo, he's not a franchise player, but they already have one in Cuz. Gay is a good second option and Rondo couldn't be a better fit next to two guys who like to score. I don't worry too much about him co-existing with Cousins, winning tends to take care of stuff like that. You don't pass on a trio of Cousins-Gay-Rondo just incase something goes wrong. Gay gets a lot of **** because his contract is colossal and he shot badly in Toronto, but he's still a very good player. It's unlikely his FG% will stay as it was in Toronto considering his career averages.

I don't see how anyone can argue against the Kings if they turn the team from a dysfunctional mess into a possible contender (obviously that would be up for debate if the trade did go through). Cousins/Gay/Rondo >>> Cousins/heap of junk (generally speaking).
    Ignorance? Merely a light hearted quip at a franchise that has had combination of bad luck and terrible front office management over the years.
    I agree Rondo/Gay/Cuz would be a good team to watch, but alas they would not win a championship. As good as Gay might be he is not the number 2 option on a title winning team good. But of course Rondo would be an upgrade on whats there at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Felexicon wrote: »
    Ignorance? Merely a light hearted quip at a franchise that has had combination of bad luck and terrible front office management over the years.
    I agree Rondo/Gay/Cuz would be a good team to watch, but alas they would not win a championship. As good as Gay might be he is not the number 2 option on a title winning team good. But of course Rondo would be an upgrade on whats there at the moment

Sorry, was probably a bit quick off the mark. It's not easy being a Kings fan :pac:

i think rondo is underrated as a shooter his outside shooting is not great but his short/mid range shooting is good when he's used it. hes developed his game around facilitating 2 of the greatest shooters to ever play the game however so he's never had the need to use it.

put him on a normal team and tell him to shoot more and he can. is he a lebron /kd no but i think he's in the top 15 players in the league and he can be a major piece in leading a team to a championship.

of coarse this all depends on him coming back from this injury the same which is unlikely.

i didnt think the kings trade was serious i just find it funny that every couple of months for the last few years there has been talk of him being traded i cant remember any player getting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

i didnt think the kings trade was serious i just find it funny that every couple of months for the last few years there has been talk of him being traded i cant remember any player getting that.

Pau Gasol is another who is constantly in trade rumours. Deng and Boozer for Pau was the latest one I heard. Alas, much like Rondo to the Kings, it isn't hapenning.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The Blazers really cannot put teams away when they're in the lead going into the fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I can't wait for Rondo's return. I want to see him with Sullinger who has improved massively. Also, I wonder will he catch good chemistry with Olynyk.

Lillard dominating. Owning Kyrie right now.

Spoken too soon, crazy last minute.

Lillard FTW!

Blazers have now won 12 road games this season. They won 11 all of last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

The kid has swagger and can ball, his confidence is just unerring. Portland are for real people.

Personally don't think Portland are for real. They'll drop off in the second half of the season and though they're a good team, have no chance of taking home the bacon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

buyer95 wrote: »
    The kid has swagger and can ball, his confidence is just unerring. Portland are for real people.

Aldridge probably deserves to start at Center for the West All Stars but, Fan vote will give it to Howard.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
    With Rockets determined to make Omer Asik deal within 48 hours, Hawks, Celtics, Cavs, 76ers most serious suitors, league sources tell Yahoo.

I keep thinking KD isn't playing all that well... and then I see he has 26 points after three on 9-20 shooting.

This game has been one gigantic turd viewing wise. Far and way from the Denver games last season.

Dreadful game is thankfully over. OKC cruise to the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Aldridge probably deserves to start at Center for the West All Stars but, Fan vote will give it to Howard.

Eh . . . He's a Power Forward.
    Anyway, there is no center position this year, only 3 frontcourt spots.

BQQ wrote: »
    Eh . . . He's a Power Forward.
    Anyway, there is no center position this year, only 3 frontcourt spots.

Well 3 front court spots. Griffin will get the votes, My overall point is that even though he has been fantastic, He doesn't have the yet status/ popularity ti get many all star votes.

Results as of yesterday

Eastern Conference – Frontcourt
    1. LeBron James (Mia) 609,336
    2. Paul George (Ind) 489,335
    3. Carmelo Anthony (NYK) 424,211
    4. Roy Hibbert (Ind) 208,369
    5. Chris Bosh (Mia) 156,364
    6. Kevin Garnett (BKN) 102,825

1. Dwyane Wade (Mia) 396,279
    2. Kyrie Irving (Cle) 365,712
    3. Derrick Rose (Chi) 272,410
    4. John Wall (Was) 124,851
    5. Ray Allen (Mia) 99,464
    6. Rajon Rondo (Bos) 80,889

Western Conference – Frontcourt
    1. Kevin Durant (OKC) 607,407
    2. Dwight Howard (Hou) 295,120
    3. Blake Griffin (LAC) 292,925
    4. Kevin Love (Min) 275,506
    5. Tim Duncan (SA) 217,271
    6. Anthony Davis (NO) 149,579

Western Conference – Backcourt
    1. Kobe Bryant - 501,215
    2. Chris Paul - 393,313
    3. Stephen Curry - 327,449
    4. Jeremy Lin - 240,404
    5. James Harden - 198,667
    6. Russell Westbrook - 149,065

Based on the your East Center is Carmelo Anthony with twice as many votes as Roy Hibbert

Irving is point guard with almost 3 times the vote of the next fit PG

Aldridge isn't even on the board

Kobe has the most votes of any Guard in the entire league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Lillard is so clutch, 2 buzzer beaters in a row

• Advertisement

Based on the your East Center is Carmelo Anthony with twice as many votes as Roy Hibbert

Irving is point guard with almost 3 times the vote of the next fit PG

Aldridge isn't even on the board

Kobe has the most votes of any Guard in the entire league
    It really us such a **** way to pick the All-Star teams. Back in the day being an all-star meant something and it was an achievement to get there. When I see KG as on of the top 5 front court players in the east this year it just proves that the general public are idiots who will voice their opinion through online voting no matter how little they know about the subject

Lillard is so clutch, 2 buzzer beaters in a row
    He's playing at an elite level at the moment. Have to admit I thought he was going to fall off a bit this year but he has proven me wrong. Really is exciting to think how high his ceiling might be

Felexicon wrote: »
    It really us such a **** way to pick the All-Star teams. Back in the day being an all-star meant something and it was an achievement to get there. When I see KG as on of the top 5 front court players in the east this year it just proves that the general public are idiots who will voice their opinion through online voting no matter how little they know about the subject

Yeah, it's very disheartening as some of those guys are taking up places that should be going to guys more deserving of them. Fans are idiots for the most part. There's a couple examples in this very thread, dare I say...

the big pity for me is the nba all star weekend has the potential to be a lot of fun to watch if it was done right but the nba seem happy enough the way it is unfortunately. Im hopeing this new commissioner will shake things up a bit

moneyman wrote: »
    Yeah, it's very disheartening as some of those guys are taking up places that should be going to guys more deserving of them. Fans are idiots for the most part. There's a couple examples in this very thread, dare I say...

There is probably someone here voting for Lance Stephenson to make the East All Star team :D

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
    With Rockets determined to make Omer Asik deal within 48 hours, Hawks, Celtics, Cavs, 76ers most serious suitors, league sources tell Yahoo.

Rumored three team trade: Celtics receive Omer Asik, Cavs receive Jeff Green and the Rockets get at least one first round pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Players who are injured should be removed from the All Star voting list. What's the point in an injured player taking the spot from a player who is active and deserving of a place on the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It was worse! How many All Star Games did Yao Ming start on the back of the Chinese vote?

I'd be willing to get if Jeremy Lin was still a Knick he'd be an all star, through fan voting.

On the trade rumours, I can see the logic in Boston wanting a 7 footer who can rebound as the cornerstone of a rebuilding team, but as a C's fan I'd be a little sad to see Green go considering acquiring him prob cost the C's a repeat championship and he's just beginning to pay back the investment put into him. Mixed feelings really.

Sorry to bang on about Cousins, but he really should be an All-Star this year regardless of the Kings record. Putting up 22/11/3/2/1 on 50% shooting, in less minutes than all the other all-star types are getting. To put things into perspective, if you look at his numbers per36 (which is what guys like Love, Aldridge, Griffin etc are playing), he's putting up 26/13/3.5/2/1.

Here's an excerpt from an article:
    Player efficiency rating is a stat everyone loves, it’s a stat that is used to break down a players total contributions. John Hollinger who created this stat says that players with 22.5 player efficiency rating is a bona fide all-star. 25.00 is a weak MVP candidate and 27.5 is a strong MVP candidate. If we use this to look at Demarcus Cousins we will see that his player efficiency rating of 26.62 places him right in between a weak MVP and a strong MVP candidate. That’s pretty great for a guy playing on any team, especially a bottom feeder in the West. Lets take it a step further, Right now among all NBA center’s Cousins is the leader in player efficiency. Don’t believe me? Just look down

DeMarcus Cousins (26.62)
    Dwight Howard (21.95)
    Roy Hibbert (19.29)
    LaMarcus Aldridge (23.80)
    Andre Drummond (23.05)
    Al Jefferson (20.13)
    Al Horford (21.33)
    Tim Duncan (20.37)
    Chris Bosh (17.72)
    Nikola Vucevic (18.53)

For full article - http://theleaguenews.us/demarcus-cousins-star-year/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=demarcus-cousins-star-year&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Generally there are 7 frontcourt spots available for Cs/PFs, the 8 biggest contenders for those spots are:

K. Durant 38.1min 28.6pts (.487 .879) 8.2reb 4.8ast 1.5stl 1.0blk 3.4TO
    K. Love 35.8min 25.0pts (.443 .822) 13.6reb 4.0ast 0.8stl 0.4blk 2.6TO
    Aldridge 36.7min 23.6pts (.486 .788) 11.0reb 2.8ast 1.1stl 0.9blk 2.0TO
    Cousins 30.8pts 22.4pts (.492 .736) 11.0reb 3.0ast 1.8stl 1.1blk 3.5TO
    Nowitzki 32.7pts 21.1pts (.492 .926) 6.0reb 2.8ast 1.1stl 0.7blk 1.7TO
    B. Griffin 36.6pts 20.3pts (.518 .667) 10.3reb 3.1ast 1.0stl 0.7blk 2.7TO
    A. Davis 33.6pts 18.8pts (.498 .846) 10.2reb 1.6ast 1.6stl 3.6blk 1.4TO (injured)
    Howard 33.6pts 17.4pts (.569 .560) 13.2reb 1.7ast 0.8stl 1.8blk 3.2TO

You can easily make a case that boogie deserves a spot over a few of those guys. Of course, there is also the chance that coaches vote in an old guy (undeservedly) like Duncan, or an extra player on a winning team, like Lee or Randolph.

Per 36, here are the top 4 scorers in the NBA:

1. Kevin Durant - 27.0
    2. DeMarcus Cousins - 26.1
    3. LeBron James - 25.6
    4. Kevin Love - 25.2

Unfortunately due to fan voting, as discussed above, people like Cousins have literally no chance to get in via voting. Only hope is that the coaches choose to put him in. Right now he's just destroying teams so he certainly has a chance, though I fear the Kings record will negatively affect his chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Lillard FTW!

Blazers have now won 12 road games this season. They won 11 all of last season.

Fair play to him for hitting the winner, but I'm going to rain on the parade a bit and criticise him for taking it. It was a bad shot to take IMO. I realise I'm being extremely harsh considering he made it, but that is not a high percentage shot.

It's one of those where if it drops, it's great and if not, it's terrible. I wouldn't want him taking those type of shots to win the game again.

Advertisement