Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

We can't deal with Hawks efficiency from outside, Korver, Antic. It's too much tonight.

Just an off night, 82 games is a lot of games. The Pacers actually usually defend the three exceptionally, they lead the league at 32.4%in opposition three point field goal %.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Aww just a horrible performance tonight, So many missed opportunities on a plate wasted. Back to the drawing board, Get ready for Washington.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Just an off night, 82 games is a lot of games. The Pacers actually usually defend the three exceptionally, they lead the league at 32.4%in opposition three point field goal %.

True. Shots just didn't go down for us tonight. Atlanta played above themselves in the 1st half. Pacers wasted too much time, Left too much to do. Impressed by Scott and Antic on the other side tonight

Individually a good night for George 28pt - 13reb.

The " Brazilian Blur" Leandro Barbosa is back in the league, who knew? Just entered the game for the Suns, apparently just signed a 10 day with them. Gerald Green and Barbosa on the court together atm, I dont think either of these guys ever saw a shot they didnt like! Fun, up and down game in Minesota so far though.

• Advertisement

KG steals from Curry. BK beat GSW

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

What a choke job by the Warriors. Chance to set a franchise record for consecutive wins and imploded after taking a huge lead early doors.

Chase Buddinger returns after not playing yet this season.He could be the missing piece to propel them into the playoffs. He plays very good defense and keep hit the spot up three. God knows the Twolves need all the help they can get on the defensive end.

Wizards bench seemingly tried to go all Warriors bench on their game. Nene and Ariza back in, make some baskets and that should be that in New Orleans.

With that Nets win they have the longest active winning steak in the league with 4. Suddenly their nationally televised game on friday vs Miami looks appetising. Weird. Didn't catch any of their win over the Dubs, but that is some win. The irony that both the Knicks and Nets have started to play good basketball since I wrote an article about how terrible they were playing isn't lost on me, I assure you!

• Advertisement

With that Nets win they have the longest active winning steak in the league with 4. Suddenly their nationally televised game on friday vs Miami looks appetising. Weird. Didn't catch any of their win over the Dubs, but that is some win. The irony that both the Knicks and Nets have started to play good basketball since I wrote an article about how terrible they were playing isn't lost on me, I assure you!

The New York teams probably will make the playoffs, with regular playoff team like Boston and Chicago, playing sorry for Jabari

Yeah I always believed the Knicks would get in but thought the Nets minus Lopez would really struggle. Chicago certainly won't be there, but if the celtics were to hold onto Rondo whenever he returns(which I don't believe they will, I think he's getting traded) then they would have good chance, Ainge won't let that happen though. Atlanta will surely drop off a bit, but should stay in the playoff places I would imagine. Then you have the enigma that is the Raptors. They are playing fantastic team basketball since the Gay trade and look like they will be in the playoffs also. This year of all years, after so many seasons of being in that awkward "too good to tank but not good enough to make the playoffs" mediocre position, I don't understand why they are not "riggin for wiggins." They appear to be chasing a 7th or 8th seed. The same point could be made about the Cavs as with Toronto. They are going all in on winning now, but what is the best possible end result for them? Snatch a 4/5th seed and possibly get to round 2 were they would await a beat down from either Miami or Indiana. Shortsighted IMO, especially with them( and I know this sounds weird) being in such a good position to tank, they currently have the 4th worst record in the league. Play on would have been my strategy, they could have parlayed that record into drafting someone like Marcus Smart who would make them relevant next season.

Really disappointed in Ricky Rubio, watching Minesota live for one of the first times this season. When he gets the ball off a pass, he doesn't even look to shoot, he just seems to have given up on his shot. I believe he is shooting 35% from the field, but you have to atleast maintain the threat that you may shoot the ball. If Rubio doesn't develop a semi decent shot then I don't believe he can be Minesota's starting p.g going forward, if they have serious playoff aspirations.

Yeah I always believed the Knicks would get in but thought the Nets minus Lopez would really struggle. Chicago certainly won't be there, but if the celtics were to hold onto Rondo whenever he returns(which I don't believe they will, I think he's getting traded) then they would have good chance, Ainge won't let that happen though. Atlanta will surely drop off a bit, but should stay in the playoff places I would imagine. Then you have the enigma that is the Raptors. They are playing fantastic team basketball since the Gay trade and look like they will be in the playoffs also. This year of all years, after so many seasons of being in that awkward "too good to tank but not good enough to make the playoffs" mediocre position, I don't understand why they are not "riggin for wiggins." They appear to be chasing a 7th or 8th seed. The same point could be made about the Cavs as with Toronto. They are going all in on winning now, but what is the best possible end result for them? Snatch a 4/5th seed and possibly get to round 2 were they would await a beat down from either Miami or Indiana. Shortsighted IMO, especially with them( and I know this sounds weird) being in such a good position to tank, they currently have the 4th worst record in the league. Play on would have been my strategy, they could have parlayed that record into drafting someone like Marcus Smart who would make them relevant next season.
    So where do you think Boston can tank too?, Lets say the finish 4th from bottom in the conference. Maybe pick 6th. Add Rondo and a go free agent. Boston can rebuild for next season.

Words fail me.

832516505.gif?1389242485

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Words fail me.

832516505.gif?1389242485

Mishandle for Randel ?
    Not carin' for Arron ?
    No seed for Embiid?
    :D

Twolves choking in another close game again. Green with a big 3 to put the Bledsoe-less Suns ahead by 1 with 3.9 seconds left.

Suns win.

_______

Blazers have blitzed Orlando in the 4Q for the win. Was all the road team before that. Batum got a triple double.

The suns are fun to watch. When you look at their roster and then at the roster of the teams behind them in the west you start to get a sense of how good they have been. Epic choke job by Minesota though, the game was won. Rubio threw the ball away with Minni up 1 and 20 seconds remaining. Twolves now 0-10 in games decided by 4 points or less. Staggering. Love looked a disturbed man walking off the court, I don't think there's anyway he resigns with the Twolves.

RIP Humphries

832520442.gif?1389245179

• Advertisement

RIP Humphries

832520442.gif?1389245179

Chris should have bought the Kia Optima. "This could have been avoided"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The suns are fun to watch. When you look at their roster and then at the roster of the teams behind them in the west you start to get a sense of how good they have been. Epic choke job by Minesota though, the game was won. Rubio threw the ball away with Minni up 1 and 20 seconds remaining. Twolves now 0-10 in games decided by 4 points or less. Staggering. Love looked a disturbed man walking off the court, I don't think there's anyway he resigns with the Twolves.

Tru dat. The way he took off his jersey reminded me of LeBron in Boston in his last game as a Cav.

Oh, and Minnie are also 0-7 in games to move to .500 this year. Truly bizarre.

Words fail me.

832516505.gif?1389242485

That's my outside bet for ROY right there. Thanks Kelly! Guess all that extra drag caused by his flowing locks caused him to miscalculate the floater.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Lads there's no need to quote every GIF, just quote the text! No need to have the same GIF 3 times in a few posts!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Lads there's no need to quote every GIF, just quote the text! No need to have the same GIF 3 times in a few posts!

Whoops! Apologies…...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Twolves choking in another close game again. Green with a big 3 to put the Bledsoe-less Suns ahead by 1 with 3.9 seconds left.

Suns win.

John Schumann had a piece on NBA.com during the week saying the Twolves were better than their record.
    Basically he was saying a lot of their losses were narrow and many of their wins were by wide margins.

Personally, I see that as a distinct lack of clutchness and that their record is exactly what they deserve.

article is here:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/01/08/wolves-better-than-their-record-says/

I like the T Wolves, They don't really have a choice but to push for a playoff spot this season. They don't have a 1st round draft pick. Their record isn't too bad. They have a better record than the current 5th seed in the East.

Their biggest challenge will be holding onto Love

BQQ wrote: »
    John Schumann had a piece on NBA.com during the week saying the Twolves were better than their record.
    Basically he was saying a lot of their losses were narrow and many of their wins were by wide margins.

Personally, I see that as a distinct lack of clutchness and that their record is exactly what they deserve.

article is here:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/01/08/wolves-better-than-their-record-says/

There is quite a few issues, but when bench production at best is seemingly a dozen points (behind kind), it's a one way ticket to nowheresville.

Rubio's shooting issues, Love's lack of a clutch gene, general unwillingness to use Pek in said clutch time, Martin being not more than a regular season guy (people shouldn't forget his completely no show in the playoffs last season, if he's not knocking down open jumpers, he offers next to nowt) and Barera's craziness, well, they'll be bouncing in the first round at best unless whoever they do end up facing has a bad injury come down on upon them (like a Westbrook last year). Oh, and the real lack of a defense instilled in the team make up.

As you said, there is no middle ground for them. It's either a blow out victory or a narrow defeat.

Props to the Suns who were without Bledsoe last night though. They've been road machines this year.

edit -
    MINNEAPOLIS – Kevin Love is usually one of the last Minnesota Timberwolves to be interviewed after a game, preferring first to collect his thoughts as he goes through a treatment regimen that includes an extended dip in an icy cold tub that helps his body recover from the beating it takes on a nightly basis.

This time, Love was waiting for the media who trudged into the locker room after the Timberwolves' latest gut punch of a loss, a 104-103 defeat to the Phoenix Suns. This time, he had a message to deliver, and it wasn't pretty.

"We can't have two guys sitting at the end of the bench that play good minutes just sitting there and not getting up during timeouts," Love said, referring to the poor body language exhibited by veterans J.J. Barea and Dante Cunningham in the fourth quarter. "We all need to be in this together. That kind of (ticks) me off. We're supposed to be a team."

The Timberwolves (17-18) are anything but a team right now. They are a collection of individual agendas tripping each other up as the franchise pursues its first playoff bid since 2004.

It may only be January. There may still be more than half of the season left to play and key reserves Chase Budinger and Ronny Turiaf may have just returned to help bolster a beleaguered bench.

But all of that perspective and promise was nowhere to be found in the Wolves' locker room on Wednesday night, when a crackling tension threatened to break the team apart. In speaking out, Love was trying to be the leader this young and inexperienced team desperately needs. He was trying to light a fire, as he often says, to motivate two vital teammates and get them to recognize the poor image they were projecting by pouting over their lack of playing time.

"It's two guys that we expect more from them," Love said. "I think they expect more from themselves. I'm not trying to single anybody out and I don't want to make it bigger than it is, but it's just a team that we needed to beat tonight and we needed everybody in there, even guys that didn't play any minutes. We need to have a team and a bench that's really in it together."

Love didn't call out either player by name, but one look at the end of the bench at any point in the fourth quarter made the targets of his ire obvious.

Barea and Cunningham both were gone by the time Love made his comments. But it's likely not going to sit well, especially with Barea, who took exception earlier this month when Love criticized the struggles of the second unit.

That Love torched the two veterans coming off of a game in which the star power forward was just 4 for 20 from the field and 0 for 3 in the fourth quarter — when the Wolves threw away nine-point lead with 4:31 to play — only made his decision to publicly go at his teammates a riskier endeavor.

Part of Love's frustration is rooted in last year's misery. He played just 18 games because of a twice-broken hand and a knee injury and drew criticism from inside the locker room and out for not being a visible presence with the team down the stretch. When Love saw Barea and Cunningham putting themselves before the team as Love had been accused of doing last year, he bristled.

"Those two guys, if and when I did that last year when maybe I didn't sit out (behind the bench) for the game for all 48 minutes and so on and so forth, they would have killed me," Love said. "They would've aired me out. That's tough."

It also speaks to the desperation that is creeping into the team's psyche. The Timberwolves haven't been over .500 since Nov. 23, having failed eight straight times to get over that hump since then. They are 0-10 in games decided by four points or fewer, a troubling stat for a team that is trying to keep pace in the hyper-competitive Western Conference.

Love is in the middle of a phenomenal individual season, having entered the game against the Suns second in the league in scoring (26.4 points per game) and rebounding (13.3). But in terms of his standing in the locker room, he is still trying to regain the respect he had before the difficulties of last season. His missive on Wednesday night may not expedite that process.

"Everybody has to believe," point guard Ricky Rubio said. "Of course somebody maybe is frustrated because he didn't have the minutes that he wanted or he's not in the game in late situations. But something happened, and no matter what, it's coach's decision. You have to be with the team.

"I didn't see that. But if he says he saw something, we would have to talk because that's even worse than losing the game. Not having the team together, that's terrible. We have to be a team and believe in ourselves."

Many in Minnesota have worried about losing Love, who can opt out of his contract in the summer of 2015, to a big-market team. Comments like the ones he delivered on Wednesday night won't ease those concerns. Both Timberwolves President Flip Saunders and Love have expressed optimism about his future in Minnesota.

As temperatures outside Target Center plunged to 15-below zero on Wednesday night, this summer seemed so far away, let alone July 2015. So much can happen between now and then, for better or worse.

The focus now is squarely on the significant issues of the present. And as bad as things appeared on Wednesday night, Love said that he is confident they can turn things around.

"There's still a lot of time," Love said. "We need to win games like this. That makes us 0-10 now in games decided by four points or less. So something's got to give and if we continue to keep working hard and have continuity and stick together, we're going to be all OK."

I'll be a Knicks fan tonight against the Heat. To restore the Pacers 1.5 lead over Miami in the conference.

• Advertisement

I'm still waiting to be enlightened btw.

__

Part 3 and 4 are up finally.

Advertisement